Status
Not open for further replies.
S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys - what a day today, I took some bad bad beats today - had some real bad luck - I mean real bad luck - Im not to sure you guys have as much bad luck as I have today.

Anyway I guess you guys get the picture.

Current BankRoll: $193.15

I went on such a downswing it was crazy during the day - couldnt believe it, I actually touched the sub $130 area of my bankroll - I was so scrared - any lower and Im going to the $2 tables lol.

In my lasted games I worked my way back up to the sub $190 area of my BankRoll, sub for the day, Im $2 down, which isnt bad i guess.

The most important thing I have learnt today is you have to take risks, for like 8 SNGs I was playing it to the book - playing certain hands betting certain amounts depending on your position - things like that, atleast at the stakes I am playing at ($5 Tables SNGs) these rules or guidelines appeal less and less, I was contiously waiting and waiting for hand to play and or raise with - and I keep getting bad bad flops and re raises. Wasnt fun. Stepped up my game a bit with my last couple of tourneys and managed to break even.

Last edited:
T

tonymac32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i successfully built a 50$ bank roll to 675 was my peak.... if you a good freeroll player and make top 30 accasionally or final table once in a blue moon play in dollar rebuys and dollar tourneys with 200+ people... you get the most bang for you buck and you only have to place 1 out of 10 to be profitable less than that if you place high... plus if you have a bad losing streak you lose 20-30 bucks vs a bad losing streak at a .25/.50 (my worst was $250)

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys - sorry for the late update.

Well I think I have found my zone again - I will only play 1 table SNGs now, I have lost so much money on MTT SNGs.

Current BankRoll: $202.30

Last couple of tourneys I played hands so bad and then the last tourney I played I got beat by set over set, anyway heres my graph.

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good on ya!

Yeah, it really seems like you should stick with what works for you! I mean, if it ain't broke.. yanno? LOL

I have had some good luck with 1 table SnGs too... I think it is because I have so little patience and these do not take long and I CAN be patient for just a bit but it is usually long enough to place LOL.

My problem was that I decided after some luck with those to hit the rings again and lost my whole wad.. so now starting over again!

I think I am gonna follow ur lead and when I do get bank again, will stick with what works!

Keep up the good work, can't wait for the next update! :)

M

mimi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well done. Where did you get the poker tracker program? I think the recommendation is that you have 40x the buyin before moving up, so that would be $200 for the $5 buyin.

koadyawn

koadyawn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice progress, are you playing the turbos or non-turbos? What limits are you playing and how many games are you playing daily?

Your Roi%?

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well done. Where did you get the poker tracker program? I think the recommendation is that you have 40x the buyin before moving up, so that would be $200 for the $5 buyin

Im just using the trial atm.

I moved up to $5 tables when my BR was around $120-130, the amount of work you put in just doesnt work compared to my BR at the time so I moved up

Nice progress, are you playing the turbos or non-turbos? What limits are you playing and how many games are you playing daily?

Your Roi%?

I play 9-man SNGs and sometimes 18-man SNGs iswell, currently I play $5 tables, but ill move you when my BR gets above $300.

The amount of games I get in a day varies depending on what I got going on, sometimes ill multi table SNGs, play like 3-4 tables. But it hasnt worked out lately so Im back to just playing 1 maybe 2 tables. If I play Single SNGs at a time, I may get in bettween 4-6 when I have time, and <3 every other day.

Current BankRol: $202.15

My BR hasnt actually changed since my last update - which i am lucky because I actually had some major Bad luck today getting rivered in what not, and just bad plays and just a cold deck.

Heres a graph:

Last edited:
J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
are you playing the turbo sit n gos or just the regular structure ones?

T

tonymac32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
might end up being the next bankroll story.. supposidly annet15 started with nothing and took first in a freeroll... then placed in dollar rebuys over and over... and built her bankroll up to big money... out very own cardchat member might be the next big story.. good luck man

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice going there starting with $50.
Im trying something simmilar but not working out yet.
Got any advice maybe?

Thanks

Baffaert.

Play SNGs, they are a place to make some serious money, I was never any good at cash tables and went broke there 3 times, thats why I wouldn't recommend them.

If you do start playing SNGs, I would say learn things like position at your table, learn proper bankroll management - but as you can see from my graphs, maybe I didnt apply good enough BRM because of all my deep dips, but thats another story all together, and last but not least - play tight and aggressive, at the start of your poker carrer I think this works best, just because if you play too loose you will lose alot of each at the begging of tourneys unless you get really lucky.

People will say - if you play too tight people pick up on that, not at the $2-5 tables, and I know this from experience too.

Try not to play when things outside of poker arnt going so well, I learnt this the hard way too, if doesnt help your game plan and just makes you loose alot of money.

Also, I think it would be good if you got a HUD and a tracker like Poker Tracker 3 or Holdem manager, seeing stats on peoples play really does help making decisions.

Yeah I think if you learn these basic principles and get a good poker software, half of the work is already done for you - the other half is learning how to make the right decision,, what I have learnt so far is thats what poker is all about.

Hope something I have may have been helpful to your poker carer.

SusieP

SusieP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great job man your on the right track. I would suggest playing some heads up matches too. Personally thats what made my bankroll. It really pays off in the time arena too. But keep it up and you may wanna try a couple heads up matches, if your good at sit n goes youve been in plenty of em.

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great job man your on the right track. I would suggest playing some heads up matches too. Personally thats what made my bankroll. It really pays off in the time arena too. But keep it up and you may wanna try a couple heads up matches, if your good at sit n goes youve been in plenty of em.

Ohh I hate Heads Up, hate them with a passion, maybe thats why I come second more than I come first, but yeah, hate heads up.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real good progress man! Since you already reached $200, I'd really recommend managing your BR a bit more. $200 isn't much, but you can definitely manage it properly if you give it a shot... or at least a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, your doing well, but I know I wish I had managed my BR more strictly and stuck around @ the lower stake SNG's longer. Probably wouldn't have gone bust. I tilted just like you did, but luckily you bounced back!

The money is a lot better, yes, but seriously man try to move down next time you get a downswing like the one you had a couple graphs ago because that's how you bust out. Not saying I know it all, but I'm looking to see your BR GROW! Talking from experience here...unfortunately :(.

Patience! Everyone knows thats how you win long term, but most of us don't have any. I'm still working on mine...Good Luck!

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, sorry for the late update - recently I was doing so bad, loosing alot of money and fast, took a small break and then came back fighting.

Current BankRoll: $236.45

As you can see from my graph, the downhill slop of that line scared the hell outa me, I mean I was loosing so much money so fast. I touched $120-$130, and the ever since I have brought my BR to a healthy ~$230.

I entered a 90-man $5 SNG, came third, so thats were by major bump in BR came from.
Anyway, thats it for now, cheers for looking.

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good on ya mate!

You would think it was my money as excited as I am getting LOL!

Perhaps, I am living vicariously through you or maybe just trying to find a strategy that works! LOL Either way, I am glad to see you getting back up there! WOOT WOOT!

Patience! Everyone knows thats how you win long term, but most of us don't have any. I'm still working on mine...Good Luck!

Aint it the friggin' truth!?! Patience is like the bane of my existence! I have zilch, nada, NOTHING! LOL But I too am working on it and think maybe.. just maybe I am getting better... but then... I WAKE UP! LOL

Last edited:
BillHall

BillHall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I congratulate you...

...DONT;t get cocky and Don't drink and play. Those are my two rules...when I follow them I always win. When I don't I always lose.:D

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, well just a small update showing were Im at atm, I am actually down ~$10, which is fine I guess as I was down alot more than that as you can see from my graph, one a SNG and then got in the money on the 2nd one which brings me to were I am atm.

Current BankRoll: $226.85

ps. I got a seat in the 100k Sunday tourney tommorow, so I hope the poker gods gonna give me a couple of AAs here and there. Im also going try a few satilites for the 750K tourney, I have alreay tryed like 4-5 of them, but i always finished 2nd, were only the 1st place gets paid.

Wish me luck.

T

thetrimguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say that is a great strategy and you are obviously doing well with it keep up the good work i might also suggest playing the lower stakes with more people to try to increase payout now that you are up alittle or maybe even try the 1 dollar tourneys that have a good bit of people to see where you stand and maybe you will learn more about your long game and maybe youll win big good luck

DKnight10

DKnight10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey i'm pretty much on the same path as you, started with $5 BR (a little smaller obv.) and started at the micro SnG's. The only advice that i can give you is to read Moshman's "Sit 'n Go Strategy" book if you havent already. There is some amazing information in the book that will help you kill it even more than you are already.

Also, i noticed that you are finishing 2nd in alot of the tournaments. Moshman also has a book on heads up play. It is more geared toward heads up cash games but it still has some info that is very applicable. You also might want to try heads up SnG's. I know you said that you don't like them, but i think that they would be great practice and they are also VERY profitable. Try these things and it should help you finish out a little better and get you the extra 20% of the prize.

BTW, I appreciate you taking the time to post all your results. I know you use it to help your self as well but I think posts like these inspire and inform alot of people who start out with next to nothing and know it is possible to make money and not just gamble. Good luck with everything!

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with around $50 close to when you started but I haven't been doing nearly as well. Good to see that you're doing good though :)

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my bankroll failure

when am i going to learn, start with a bankroll but dont go in a game that costs more than 5% of my bankroll. i always seem to go in a game too advanced for me and loose.

Passion_play

Passion_play

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Luck to ya,
It can be done very easily with 50.00
Just play when your rested and dont play after a bad beat.
Well not with your bank roll anyway.. go to a freeroll or play money etc.
Sit and goes are great, I love the new Double or nothing format at pokerstars.

C

ColdRemedy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play cash ring games u have a better chance of increasing ur investment.

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play cash ring games u have a better chance of increasing ur investment.

In my original post I stated that I wen flat broke 3 times playing ring games, they are no good for me, I like SNGs as if your having a bad day, you just loose your buy in, but if things go well and you get in the money in 5-8 tourneys, then thats some serious coin to be made:)

I havnt updated this thread myself as of lately, my last exam is tommorow, for about a week or two I will be playing some solid poker, updating the thread twice a day, so yeah, thats to explain why I havnt been putting any updates up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management