pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A big one I didn't see yet:
playing drunk-shitfaced-in the bag-wasted!
I have done this myself quite a bit and I have found that it leads to many of the mistakes others have listed.
Oh yeah...Don't you love it when the shit-faced guy has a huge chip stack, and he sits at your table?

BenjiHustle

BenjiHustle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Falling in love with the continuation bet is a situation that I see a lot of players get stuck in, especially at 6-max.

Also, folding to too many c-bets and not ranging your opponents are big deals. Along with all the other stuff.

S

spookah123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A big mistake I see bad players make is insta-jamming after a 3-bet with monsters preflop. You're better off making a decent sized 4-bet as you're more likely to be called.

EDIT: Also, making pathetic 10% pot bets with 2nd or 3rd pair on the flop/turn; it gives away the strength of your hand so badly.

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll management is a problem for me and still is. The grinding gets me lazy sometimes which I have to improve on. Another thing is bluffing too much. Once the opponent catches you you will get punished for sure. :icon_tong

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A ton of very exploitable mistakes newbs make that pretty much hurt themselves without even realizing.
#1- newbs play too high when starting out (something I love) as many new players don't take the time to learn and start out in play$ they jump straight to the cash games hoping to bink something huge and end up getting killed since their clueless and haven't taken time to study.
#2- bet sizing, one of the most common mistakes made in poker its death if you don't have it correct...nits will minbet to death with bottom pair..donk minbet 3 barrel to re-raises on boards...they'll overbet their strong hands and some will bluff way too much in an embaressing fashion...they will also take incorrect lines when bluffing or trying to get value.
#3- playing too nitty or playing too many hands...hey..its what we all started out as! One or the other...newbs will often limp anything or only play really big hands and only bet when they hit the flop..ones who play too many hands also may be huge calling stations and once they flop a pair or a draw.their not going away...which is one of the easiest types of players to play againist.
#4- newbs are results oriented...this is something that took me awhile to learn..and how to ignore certain end results...new players may also just play by "feel" which is just bad...you should play by situation and probability..not by feel...often times ill see players call off with a draw for their stack or call a shove for their stack with J6 or some junk hands and if you question it..they pull out the ole "it won" or "I had a feeling it would win" which is just letting the table know you are a fish and don't understand poker very well...
#5- They bink a big high variance MTT..move up to higher stakes and lose but don't know why...I think this speaks for itself :)
#6- they limp way too much...overall one of my main rules is never open limp...limping behind is fine with certain hands that you dont make sense to iso-raise with...often times I will see players limp weak Ax...K6s..or any2 suited to try and get a cheap flop or whatever....this is a big big mistake...as at micros..preflop raise..cbet flop is one of the key things to beating micros...once you get that down you can easily compete..open limping only lowers your hand equity and puts you in tough multi way pots...dont do it!

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was thinking about some of the biggest mistakes I see newbies... donks make. So far my list goes as follows.

Blind Stealing - All In.
Why is this bad.... they risk their whole stack to steal the blinds... Sure it induces a lot of folds, but you are risking your whole tournament life on just grabbing blinds.

Premium Hands - Overbet the pot.
I see this a lot in low level tournaments... Players get dealt hands like AQ, AK, AA, KK, QQ etc... and immediately all in... So many times I've seen them get cracked... Again why risk your whole stack... Especially when the blinds are so extremely low!? If you are short stacked this makes sense.... but when the blinds are only 10/20 and you have 1500 in your stack... no... just no....

Anyone else got any good examples of newbie mistakes?

I don't think these are really mistakes. As you can usually get paid off by shoving AA preflop, why don't you do that?

There are no perfect game strategy of Texas Hold'em, all decisions are made according to the read on opponents.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'd say some of the biggest mistakes made by new players are br management because of ego and over valuing their actual ability, bluffing too much and not believing the villain, and playing too loose and aggressive.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the biggest mistake is to lose and raise the limit to recover.

E

evilk9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know they've been posted before but haven't seen a thread like this in a while.

What are your opinions on the biggest mistakes a player makes?
And.... What were the biggest concepts that helped you the most?

A

ariolis30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
moving up too high too fast, playing off emotion just to name a few haha

S

stlbluesfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started my biggest mistake was basically doing everything wrong. I don't really remember how I first started playing online, but I had no idea about any of the skills required to play the game correctly. Lots of painful lessons learned.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Over estimating ones ability, this one generally takes a long time to overcome.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wrecklessly funding your poker play in the beginning. Some people will just deposit funds over and over and over again one deposit right after another.

If you lose your first deposit, I think you should give it time before you deposit again (a couple of months). In that time, you read more books, study PT hand histories, and ifnd out what you have been doing wrong: plug your leaks as best you can before you try again. Otherwise, you can go broke very quickly.

Since I've started playing poker in September 2013, I have only made two deposits. When I lost the first one, i did not deposit again until three months later. When I lost the second one I did not deposit again until I, by chance, was selected to win a $100 competition on CC. That bankroll will probably reach the zero mark any day now. the funny thing is that hte most money I've ever made was from freerolls on BCP. I cashed out $450 in November 2013, played freerolls for another two months before making my first deposit. I could have left the $450 in as a bankroll but at the time i was new to poker and realized that these companies could decide not to pay me and i wouldn't even be able to take them to court since online poker is not regulated in the usa. So I withdrew the funds and continued freerolling for a couple of months, To this day I feel like i have to worry about the safety of my money and so i will never keep more than a few hundred dollars in any single account

Now if I had been freely depositing funds into my poker account whenever I lost money I would be, as they say on wall street, averaging down (which is to say, putting more money into a losing proposition). I could see myself being down thousands upon thousands of dolalrs right now if I had been wrecklessly depositing all this time. After all, if I just keep depositing funds then what is stopping me from taking over the top risk? If i lose so what? then i just deposit again the next day. The logical extreme of this mentality is pretty scary actually....lol

So that would be my first piece of advice. I know that one of my mistakes is that I am playing limits too high with my deposits. For example, with juicy stakes I stayed about even for going on a month and a half playing tournaments pretty much constantly all day every day and am now down to my last $20. How did this happen? well, I wanted to play $5 sit and go's. To play $5 sit and go's one should have a $500 bankroll, not $100 otherwise the risk of ruin becomes probable. My issue was that I like the play at $5 buy-in SnG's more than I like the play at the $1.10 SnG's with the idea that $5 is a decent amount of money for one to lose and so players play $5 buy-in tourneys more seriously.

So I guess this leads to my second piece of advice: make sure that when you do make a deposit, it is adequate for the buy-ins you want to play at.

Good Luck

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Underestimating variance and how much volume you need to ascertain if you are a "winning" or profitable player....and how much MORE volume (almost infinite for a live player) you need to even begin to approximate your win rate.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Over estimating ones ability, this one generally takes a long time to overcome.

I agree that this is a huge one, primarily because beginners such as myself have no idea how much we don't know.

Confusing luck with skill is also big one IMO, and this ties in with being results-oriented. So you got it all in pre-flop with T7 and cracked AA by making a running straight, just because you won this time doesn't mean that it was the right decision.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing too much hand,misread the card and your opponents.

jmchezka

jmchezka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
getting committed to a hand

beginners think that folding is considered giving up, thus, a bad thing. beginners tend to get emotionally attached to a hand. they think that there's no way they'll win if they fold, but they don't realize that by continuously calling bets, they lose more money.

K

keithramos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being obsessive about defending my blinds. Over calling and not recognizing opportunities. These are the few mistakes that I have made and that many poker players make frequently. I have learnt a lot from these mistakes and it helped me improve my game a lot!

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say the biggest mistake of a new player is assuming they will win-Most players will burn threwtheir 1st bankroll within a week just trying to convience themselves they will win the Big one-No one wants to from nothing want to go from zero to hero in 10 seconds.

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi !

When I started playing poker for the 1st, time in dec. of 2013 ...
I was like > " wouw ... lets have some fun ">>> I played too mamy hands and was not patient enough .

I have deposited $20 and by playing freeing loose I made $140 >>> then reality Hit Me :( >>> I started plying more serious and had really tough month when I lost everything >>> Now I am back and girding Freerolls and working on my Bankoroll ...so hopefully it will be as I set my goal by the end of Summer.

Good Luck ALL !!!

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think bankroll management is number 1 and, they usually play way to many hands!

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising with straights with a flush draw on the board :D
& not check raising enough, gotta love the check raise!!

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say limping. Have seen a lot of players just limp with pocket Kings or Aces, have 5 people playing in the hand, and losing to a flush, when one of the opponents has 7c4s. Then they proceed to say things like"jokerstars roflmao" and so on.

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say limping. Have seen a lot of players just limp with pocket Kings or Aces, have 5 people playing in the hand, and losing to a flush, when one of the opponents has 7c4s. Then they proceed to say things like"jokerstars roflmao" and so on.
Tbh that happens even if u raise :D

Sent from my awesome Cardschat SMC reward,Galaxy tab 3 8.0 using tapatalk 😆