Biggest mistakes for the new player

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick story from when I first started playing NL Hold' em.

I kept getting my rear end handed to me in every tournament I played in. Getting knocked out in the bottom 10% of players.
I registered in a game on day and was not able to play a single hand in the game.

I had my BEST finish ever.
This reminds me of another fairly familiar newbie error, which is thinking that lasting longer means they played better. In a single tournament, the correlation is so tenuous as to be effectively meaningless.

R

radlar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
- calling "just to see"

= playing too tight

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to name a few:

Trying out other games than HE, without even knowing the rules.

Folding their SB when folded to them, while BB is sitting out.

Blaming everything and everyone in the world when losing chips, not realizing they themselves make mistake after mistake.

After an occasionally deep run in a tournament, thinking they're the best.

Whenever they start analyzing their hands, only looking at hands they lost because of not realizing a hand won could still have been played poorly.

Chatting nonsense.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the best tread ever.

I am a newbie and every time I read in here I find out more about my self.

I take the advice to the table remembering what not to do.

So thank you all you skilled players you are actually improving my play.

While you are having fun.

Keep the good words coming .

LgBassMan

LgBassMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was said further up but I can't stress enough the emphasis that a lot of new players place on AK. It seems as soon as it's dealt to a new player they believe it's their God given right to win. Always a good thing for more experienced regs when they're stacking off with Ace high.

I was in a situation yesterday playing an obvious new/fish player in a tournament. I'm dealt QQ, fish bets 50BB PF, flop comes Q6J, I bet for 200BB, he raises to half his stack, I push him all-in and he calls with AK, nothing but a hope. Unfortunately turn came a 10 for his straight and I couldn't grab a FH on the river and as usual before leaving the table I get called an idiot by said player. Too funny.

It's always +EV to make a disciplined fold, don't make stupid plays post-flop because of the strength you had in your cards pre-flop. Don't ever think you've already won the hand because you were dealt AA pre-flop, sometimes you're going to be beat and a disciplined fold will save you tons of money on the long run.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main mistake is to focus a lot on their hands and not fear what the other players may have.

Not track statistics: Not all players play well in all games and sports. Register statistics helps you to focus on games that have a higher expected value to you . In addition to studying the long- term viability of playing in a certain way or another.

Playing very predictable way: This is more a problem for the players in the sport without limit. Mix a bit your style to outwit their opponents . It is normal when playing online poker much end up gaining an automated style .

Play many different game types : Unlikely to move from limit to no-limit Texas Hold'em to Omaha , table game tournaments .

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to name a few:

Trying out other games than HE, without even knowing the rules.

Folding their SB when folded to them, while BB is sitting out.

Blaming everything and everyone in the world when losing chips, not realizing they themselves make mistake after mistake.

After an occasionally deep run in a tournament, thinking they're the best.

Whenever they start analyzing their hands, only looking at hands they lost because of not realizing a hand won could still have been played poorly.

Chatting nonsense.
The first and the second points are amazing. Have seen a plenty of people that play, for example, Razz , and have absolutely no clue what they are actually doing.
Second point helped me to get in the money in a lot of weekly freerolls that people register 5~ days until the tournament and forget it. These are just free chips for you.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not willing to shove wide enough when short. Now that doesn't mean short=shove there is an art to it but blinds are big and we are blinding down folded to us on the button couple of mediumish stacks in the blinds gotta be willing to put that 64o in there to try and steal the blinds.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its also good to disguise your strategy as a newb. I dont know why but it has worked for me a few times. This isnt something you should base your play on, but to just bet crazy and under value hands or check flops

I

Imanokie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It was said further up but I can't stress enough the emphasis that a lot of new players place on AK. It seems as soon as it's dealt to a new player they believe it's their God given right to win. Always a good thing for more experienced regs when they're stacking off with Ace high.

I was in a situation yesterday playing an obvious new/fish player in a tournament. I'm dealt QQ, fish bets 50BB PF, flop comes Q6J, I bet for 200BB, he raises to half his stack, I push him all-in and he calls with AK, nothing but a hope. Unfortunately turn came a 10 for his straight and I couldn't grab a FH on the river and as usual before leaving the table I get called an idiot by said player. Too funny.

It's always +EV to make a disciplined fold, don't make stupid plays post-flop because of the strength you had in your cards pre-flop. Don't ever think you've already won the hand because you were dealt AA pre-flop, sometimes you're going to be beat and a disciplined fold will save you tons of money on the long run.

Man this is Deja Vu. I'm dealt QQ, player bets 100BB PF, flop comes Q 6 4, I bet for 400BB, he raises all in and I call. The turn is a J and the river is a 2. He has called me with 5 3 and completes his straight, and my tournament life is over.

It is plays like this which make you start to second guess your game.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think play in emotions is the most mistake.
i truly agree when i play with emotion i will really bad at the game when i start my emotion controling know i am other player not that enough good what i wana be but now is ok....
:jd4:
just my advice control yourself...
good luck...

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking that everyone is bluffing and want to bully you is one of the biggest, imo

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
donk shoving with A6o and when they hit their ace they think they are good players :)
about emotions: thats not just what newbies do..

transformpoker

transformpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Confusing absolute hand strength with relative hand strength.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
donk shoving with A6o and when they hit their ace they think they are good players :)
about emotions: thats not just what newbies do..

This is so essential in freerolls. Just sit and wait point out who is all in with everything.

And then you bring them down as soon as the chance is there.

Eating their 200-500 bb in 3 or 4 hands

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is so essential in freerolls. Just sit and wait point out who is all in with everything.

And then you bring them down as soon as the chance is there.

Eating their 200-500 bb in 3 or 4 hands

Yeah thats guide to sucess in those... 2 days ago i got 20k chips from guy like that ( had 6k chips) in like 3 hands,he take it personal i guess,in the end he shove with Q9 and i called him with AQ :)

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

kidpoker324

kidpoker324

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
they play scared, out of position and always think they will get beat and also they bluff too much and sitting at the tables with their whole bankroll and one of the biggest mistake is over playing marginal hands

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think play in emotions is the most mistake.

Agreed. Sadly, I've fallen victim to this too many times (and still do, as much as I hate to admit it). I think most people do, even the most seasoned pros. There have been a few occasions on Poker After Dark where someone will tilt and lose their stack. The human element just can't be eluded.

J

J_moly88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using the phrase "I want to move up to a limit where people respect my raises".

If I could give myself 1 piece of advice when I started playing, it would be to fold more, people don't bluff half as much as you think they do.

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using the phrase "I want to move up to a limit where people respect my raises".

If I could give myself 1 piece of advice when I started playing, it would be to fold more, people don't bluff half as much as you think they do.
well that phrase is not a mistake....
lets say you have 68s in bb and co raises to 0.06$(3bb) and you only have to pay 0.04 to see 688 on flop....
but on higher stakes you have to pay 0.50$ or more...
0.04 is so low that most ppl will call it to see a flop,they dont think about they lose money over long run by doing this...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without reading any of the other posts this thread I will say that the biggest mistakes that beginners make is...

1.not putting their opps. in a range.
2. having no clue of what their equity value is when they bet.

L

luckyhearts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A big one I didn't see yet:
playing drunk-shitfaced-in the bag-wasted!
I have done this myself quite a bit and I have found that it leads to many of the mistakes others have listed.