Biggest mistakes for the new player

C

computerdude

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest mistakes newbies make - share time...

So I was thinking about some of the biggest mistakes I see newbies... donks make. So far my list goes as follows.

Blind Stealing - All In.
Why is this bad.... they risk their whole stack to steal the blinds... Sure it induces a lot of folds, but you are risking your whole tournament life on just grabbing blinds.

Premium hands - Overbet the pot.
I see this a lot in low level tournaments... Players get dealt hands like AQ, AK, AA, KK, QQ etc... and immediately all in... So many times I've seen them get cracked... Again why risk your whole stack... Especially when the blinds are so extremely low!? If you are short stacked this makes sense.... but when the blinds are only 10/20 and you have 1500 in your stack... no... just no....

Anyone else got any good examples of newbie mistakes?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Newbies often judge whether or not a play was "good" or not based on a single outcome of a single hand. They will often fail
To think about plays in the long term. "Well I lost with AA when I went all in pre, therefore AA must be a losing hand for me" this is a pretty extreme example but I'm sure some players think like that.

New players will have extreme difficulty laying down over pairs to the board. They will often give roughly 0 sh1ts about the board texture and will often get stacked because they refuse to kick it in.

New players might fold 9Q off suit, but open 9Q suited to 3BB. They fail to recognize how little equity the suitedness adds to their hands.

Lastly, a lot of noobs will think they are the sh1t when they have a good session. A bad player will win occasionally in the same way "a broken clock is right twice a day".

There's lots more maybe I will come back later to add more :)

ammytyagi

ammytyagi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IN
Chips
Not learning BRM is also a big mistake. I have seen so many poker players whose poker skills are good but bankroll management is pretty bad. In long term to be profitable bankroll management is essential.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not learning BRM is also a big mistake. I have seen so many poker players whose poker skills are good but Bankroll management is pretty bad. In long term to be profitable bankroll management is essential.

I totally agree with you mate, BRM is one of the most important things that all the poker players must know, to be profitable players!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So I was thinking about some of the biggest mistakes I see newbies... donks make. So far my list goes as follows.

Blind Stealing - All In.
Why is this bad.... they risk their whole stack to steal the blinds... Sure it induces a lot of folds, but you are risking your whole tournament life on just grabbing blinds.

Premium Hands - Overbet the pot.
I see this a lot in low level tournaments... Players get dealt hands like AQ, AK, AA, KK, QQ etc... and immediately all in... So many times I've seen them get cracked... Again why risk your whole stack... Especially when the blinds are so extremely low!? If you are short stacked this makes sense.... but when the blinds are only 10/20 and you have 1500 in your stack... no... just no....

Anyone else got any good examples of newbie mistakes?

Honestly I think that thinking these are 'biggest mistakes newbies make' is actually a mistake in itself. (ie. if you can get 75bb's in pre w AA then why wouldn't you?). Shoving allin just to steal blinds is advisable.

I'll come back to this & post a list of some of the more common mistakes I see newer (&/or just bad) players making in tournament play.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1. Overvaluing weak Aces in EP: I see people lose money with these continuously. Regardless of whether they raised or limped in pre, if an Ace hits the board they wind up getting stacked when somebody else has a better kicker.

2. Small pocket pairs, especially in EP: Playing these like AA/KK is a good way to lose all your chips fast. Overcards be damned, it's full speed ahead? Not a good strategy.

3. Good old AK: I had more trouble with this hand than any other when I was starting out. I've eliminated most of my losses with AK, once I broke the habit of spewing chips post-flop with just Ace high.

4. Paying too much to chase draws aka ignoring pot odds: People remember the times that they called an all-in on the flop or turn and hit that flush or gutshot straight on the river, but don't realize that they're losing much more than they gain in the long run by doing this.

5. Double standards: viewing hands where you put your money in way behind but sucked out massively on the river as skillful plays, but viewing hands where your opponent did the same to you as the product of either rigged software or some other nefarious plot to inflict you with undeserved bad beats.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Overvaluing weak Aces in EP: I see people lose money with these continuously. Regardless of whether they raised or limped in pre, if an Ace hits the board they wind up getting stacked when somebody else has a better kicker.

2. Small pocket pairs, especially in EP: Playing these like AA/KK is a good way to lose all your chips fast. Overcards be damned, it's full speed ahead? Not a good strategy.

3. Good old AK: I had more trouble with this hand than any other when I was starting out. I've eliminated most of my losses with AK, once I broke the habit of spewing chips post-flop with just Ace high.

4. Paying too much to chase draws aka ignoring pot odds: People remember the times that they called an all-in on the flop or turn and hit that flush or gutshot straight on the river, but don't realize that they're losing much more than they gain in the long run by doing this.

5. Double standards: viewing hands where you put your money in way behind but sucked out massively on the river as skillful plays, but viewing hands where your opponent did the same to you as the product of either rigged software or some other nefarious plot to inflict you with undeserved bad beats.
I've found myself in points 1 and 4. I thought it wasn't a really bad thing, but once you mentioned, I'm gonna try to fix these gaps in my play. thank you

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest mistake that newbies make for sure is that they almost always dont have proper brm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its funny when fish try to bluff while there are 3 or more person in the hand and one is all in prefloop and everyone limp all in and trying bluffing floop (or turn or river) than is quiet retarded.
I think it is the stupidest thing You can do in poker

I

itrade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know when i started out my biggest mistake was bring emotion to the game.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some more things newbies are prone to do that are sub-optimal, in no particular order:

Not studying / reviewing enough.

Focusing too much on results and not enough on good decision-making.

Trying to learn and use strategies that aren't very appropriate to the levels they're playing.

Not thinking enough about situational factors.

Thinking they can learn from TV poker.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Join a table/stake they don't belong. Thats why BRM is very important.

2. Less theory.

3. Newbies thought live poker and online poker the same.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing when you are on tilt, the most important note! ;d

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest mistake that newbies make for sure is that they almost always dont have proper brm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmmm..... I'm not sure I would take advice in this thread from someone who's SN is newbie in training ;) lol

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they play WAY too many hands

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they play WAY too many hands
Yeap I definitely agree with your sentence, someone smart said "Fishes wins more hands but sharks are much profitable"
Except Russians whoes wins each hand with worse hand at beggin :)

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing ATS

Being High Card Heroes and thinking that Ax is the nuts

Overplaying OOP and underplaying IP

Not adjusting to table/player reads

Not examining past play for leaks

Not asking for help

Overconfident, ego-driven, not open to helpful feedback

Stubborn in surrendering hands when they are behind

Talk frequently about bad beats

Affected emotionally by cards, good friends with tilt

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few more:

Looking for easy answers; e.g. by asking what the best way to play a certain hand is, as if there's one best way no matter the situation.

Being too afraid to deposit even a few dollars while dreaming they'll soon be both rolled and unafraid to play for big money.

Micro-managing tiny BRs.

D

DenverDave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hardest thing for me is learning to think situationally vs being results oriented. I like to win as much as the next guy. That is part of why we are here. And yet, I am learning to look at the way a hand is played, both in realtime and off the table. Why did he do that? What ranges of cards, based on past experience, could he have there? Am I ahead or behind? You use info from past hands to help with this hand right now. Very much like a golfer: Forget that last bad shot, I need to hit a good shot here. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. The same in poker. Fish suck out. You make a note and move on to the next hand.

I love this game more and more forgetting the results. To a degree lol

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Not being rolled for their stakes (poor BRM)

2. Playing too many hands

3. Not folding enough post-flop

4. Not following pot odds.

5. Being purely results oriented.

6. Having strange bet patterns (overbetting pots once they hit their flushes)

7. Unwilling to improve their game

There're plenty more, but those seem like their most common mistakes. Shoving in tourneys is a common practice when shortstacked btw.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times, newer poker players fail to see straights or flushes on the board. Because of this oversight, far too often newer players pay off made straights and flushes with marginal top pair hands.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A big mistake many new players make is, they don't know how to FOLD!

Quick story from when I first started playing NL Hold' em.

I kept getting my rear end handed to me in every tournament I played in. Getting knocked out in the bottom 10% of players.
I registered in a game on day and was not able to play a single hand in the game.

I had my BEST finish ever.

I reviewed the hand history, which is another mistake new players fail to do,
and found there were many hands I folded which if I were playing, I wouldn't have folded and lost.

Learned a good lesson, you don't HAVE to play every hand, it IS OK to fold.

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New players play too many hands is about the biggest one.

I think they also might think they are better than they actually are.

They sometimes call too much with the thinking that the other player does not really got a good hand (they think they are being bluffed alot but they probably arent especially when the other players see that they call too much).

In Sitngoes they call trying to hit a set for too big of a percent of there stack.

Lots of new players seem like they will never fold a hand if it they have got a flush draw and they will call even an allin on the turn hoping they hit it.

Hmpf. I am trying to think of the other stuff I do and catch a lecture for doing it lmao because the better I get the more I find out I am still a beginner :D

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Blind Stealing - All In.

Premium Hands - Overbet the pot.

That bolded context is important to your earlier Blind Stealing statement, hence why Poker Orifice said "Shoving allin just to steal blinds is advisable." Probably one of the biggest mistakes a n00b makes is playing too tight from late pos during late game when antes are in play.

On the other hand, another mistake is shoving too loose against a big stack near the bubble. Since they can generally call you wide, you want some reasonably pf equity because there's a respectable difference between cashing and being out.