bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very good article, I hardly try to bluff on the river but I learned a lot from this article now so try to put into practice and see if I can win a few pots

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Great read. Of course if you have the nuts, bet for value. If you do not, and villain checks, check back. You might not have the best hand. Save your chips for later.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good article, i like chapter about reasons for betting, i think it's the first thing that we need to take into consideration when we start playing hand (even in pre-flop)

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I usually bet for value on the river. If I am not sure, I usually check back and see what my opponet called all the other streets with. Bluffing is something I rarely do and then I size my bet exactly the same as I would with a made hand, namely half the pot against one opponent and accordingly with more. I think that I have to study bluffing. It seems that I might have folded to a scare card on the river way more than I should...:D
Good article!

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting on the river is a bloody tale ... the dilemma there is always betting or not betting, more than how much .. because many times check on the river can mean a shock to your rival .. you may think that you really have nothing when The truth is that you have nuts and you are encouraging their aggression or a failed bluff.

A weak bet on the river can serve to achieve your goals .. one day I laughed a lot when I bet very strong on the river in bluff and the villain costesta and wins the hand but answer was not a good decision because it was an extremely dangerous board. So, when that player is exposed for making a terrible call, he justifies himself and says that I bet very high ... which, on the contrary, I leave him as a player who looks for excuses to look good when in any of the situations he should do a call there ..

The river is where most bluffs make sense since there are many dead draws.

When an ace comes out on the river it is a good situation for bluff .. some are scared even if they have a TT or a good hand ..

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually bet on the river to get chips or bluff when I can only win a bluff . I always, when there is a chance, that I have the best hand will bet on river, but can straight for the cards on All-in from rival !

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
River is the most important time in a hand. There we will see the biggest loses and the biggest victories. Betting depends from the developement of the hand. The better hand I see the biggest bet I make. bluffing can occure and I am carefull and try not to lose many chips for nothing, or bluff when I know that there are good chances to win.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I am glad the article outlined that betting on river is different than other streets. Very important tip for beginners you are either bluffing or value betting on river.

Two thing about bluffing on river. First make sure that your story checks out ensure your representing a strong hand and not just look like you are barreling off example you bet a Q high turn then barrel an Ace on river.

Second you must be able to narrow your opponent to a small range of hands that you feel you can get to fold to a river bet. The best way to get info is by betting (either you or opponent(s)) on earlier streets.

River value betting is hard to get right. Most time you are guessing/hoping what your opponent has and how they will react to your bet. I seen players fold/call/raise when faced with same spot.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
River is the most important time in a hand. There we will see the biggest loses and the biggest victories. Betting depends from the developement of the hand. The better hand I see the biggest bet I make. Bluffing can occure and I am carefull and try not to lose many chips for nothing, or bluff when I know that there are good chances to win.

Good comment. Bluffing can cost a lot. I do not bluff too much, but maybe semi-bluff when I have a good flush or straight draw or even a chance at trips. Depending on how many are in play, I may bet a middle or small pair. I attempt to extract as much as I can from my opponent if I feel I have the best hand...especially on the river. The River can really make a difference and a person profit. I agree.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ye. River is the hardest street for me. It’s easy to make some gameplan of checks, bets or folds on flop, and plan some betting frequency on turn. On river it’s a little more complicated, because most of the time pots are big already and you have to consider more things like if your villain is going to fold if you bluff or how much should we bet to get payoff. That thing, especially on micro, lowstakes is very dynamic and proper adjusting to that is real hard thing and need some expierence.

S

step055

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for one more interesting and useful article. Bluff is an Art. And a player should be a real professional to use it in the right way.And I agree that river is a hard street.

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About river bet

Alright, river is the last street, soul crusher or the opposite, the last card that make players to win big or loose, to survive in tournaments or get knocked out.

Good players try to remember hand history street by street, what makes bluffing them very hard and also they can bluff into good thinking players, where you can represent big hand by flop/turn/river scenario you played. Leveling is the most interesting detail, and at the river we can also see very strange calls/ shoves/ reshoves etc. , mostly by strong players, but not everytime :D Action on the river is very depending of opponent player level: you can bluff like almost or you can't never, it is very, very polarised or not etc.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet size is super important when bluffing...
Many players think the bigger the better because
they think they have to scare away the opponent...

But often times a rather small bet is more effective....
Try to make your river bet to look like you want the
opponent to call and that you are scared he will just
fold when you bet a lot more...

Seems to be considered a real sign of strength by
many players and then they fold....

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Knowing your opponent and reading correctly the board cards will guide you to either fold or raise on the river... It is so simple, and cruel in the same time :)

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last bet you can make to try to win a hand is on the river. Even when you have the nuts you still have to carefully consider the size of the bet to get the most chips you can from your opponent.

What if you have nothing - when should you bluff?

Read this article and let's discuss bluffing:

Betting on the River

So far only preflop I had a bluff! But on the river is very dangerous! In the end, to the end go those who have a good hand! You must be very careful!
Bluffing is easy for people with certain mental qualities. As life has shown, I do not have such qualities! But a bluff in the game is one of the components that leads to victory! I need to learn, the article will help, thanks!

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting on the river should really depend on the rest of your hand and the board , if you have been betting right from the beginning on a strong hand , yes - continuation bet is in order, and if your hand has been steadily getting better after the turn- ya I bet !
I have been known to fold many times by the time the river comes , and curse to myself when I see I would of won ... course that is where that luck thing comes in ...
This article is covering a lot , but so many times we end up in a hand that still leaves even the pros making a bad bet. I have watched it happen. So, I believe luck now comes into play. If you have enough chips to make a substantial bet - then I personally do it and hope for the best .

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great artical im gonna have to keep this handy when i play. i seem to "value own myself" a lot. i need to start practicing the "fat and thin" strategy

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My biggest weakness is probably missing out on value on the river because of this:

"Don't miss out on value by not going thin enough"

I am guilty too often of missing value by not going thin enough. However, one of my most profitable moves is checking with a thin value hand and snap calling an obvious bluff. This relieves me of the task of deciding on a value bet amount that will be likely to be called if villain actually has something - as an added bonus, their bluff is usually a much bigger bet.

I will be working on this daily, probably for the rest of my life.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on how the hand plays out and if the villian is showing any strength it is sometimes good to bluff. I have been told that a good strategy for bluffing the river is to do this when you have missed a strong draw on the turn (Flush Draw or OESD). Of course other variables come into play but this will give a good frequency in which to bluff.

As for having a nutted hand on the river which we want to get some value from, we must read our opponents hand strength and make an educated guess into the hands he may have to call a bet with. Make it too big and our villain may fold his smaller hands, and make it too small and we leave chips on the table from bigger hands like two pairs or sets. If the hand has played out passively I would go for a thinner value bet, if villain has been aggressive in the hand, then I will make villin pay big to get to showdown.

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you feel that the opponent has nothing, I will definitely bluff (Of course nerves naughty in these moments))). if I don't know the opponent it will be a check.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on river card & your play on turn

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Bet size is super important when bluffing...
Many players think the bigger the better because
they think they have to scare away the opponent...

But often times a rather small bet is more effective....
Try to make your river bet to look like you want the
opponent to call and that you are scared he will just
fold when you bet a lot more...

Seems to be considered a real sign of strength by
many players and then they fold....

Very good point! Sometimes you can take down the whole pot on the river by betting just 1/4 pot, other times you have to make it bigger as a bluff and vise versa! This only has to do with the level of thinking of your opponent.

I find that betting for thin value is the toughest of all , because you should have narrowed down your opponent's range so much plus you have to choose the correct size and apparently for him to have some show down value.

I thing there is also a third bullet on the ''reasons for betting on the river'' which is somewhere in the middle of the two. The blocker bet, is when you know you have some showdown value but you don't know if you will win your opponent's combination so you block bet on the river in order to discourage him from betting or raise you.

Nice article :)

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that just like in any position, the bet on the river will depend on who you are playing, the position on the table, the stack, the tournament phase and the amount of chips in the pot.
Most of the time we can not apply a bluff at the moment, many players do not drop their hand on the river and are accustomed to paying with any 2, so basically it's a valuation situation.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good and interesting the post. But just as there are reasons to bet on the river, there are also the reasons for not doing it, I would like a specific post about that too.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent article, I will really take it into account at the tables. Thank you.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars