Betting on the River

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, very nice article, as it says the hardest street is the river, but I was interested in the questions that you yourself have to do, bluffing on this street is a little more complicated to perform, unless we have clear what is the rank of opponent you are playing. But you can achieve more bluffing in more advanced stages of a tournament.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some take the river as the main although I consider that on the turn is where you have to assert your hand so there is no river and if there is our hand is not at risk, I still think that the omaha on the river can change it all on more occasions than in the hold

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last bet you can make to try to win a hand is on the river. Even when you have the nuts you still have to carefully consider the size of the bet to get the most chips you can from your opponent.

What if you have nothing - when should you bluff?

Read this article and let's discuss bluffing:

Betting on the River
me i m no bluffer...soo i donno what advice to give.....and when i lose is almost always because some gigantic hands....impossible to see or to guess

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more I read, the more I don't understand ... Maybe my own experience is much better? I generally think that no one can teach someone to bluff in online poker. Here, in fact, much depends from surprise , speed of decision making and confidence! Raise your bet sharply and quickly to surprise your opponent with confidence ...

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First time I've heard about value owning yourself. Nice article.

I usually play at micro stakes. In the
:ac4: :10c4: :8c4: :6h4: :6c4: hand where you have trips, if your opponent checked on the river but have betted in previous streets you definately extract some more value. They aint folding an ace to a nice betting size because the board is scary. :p So you definately have to know your opponents first!

My worst is bet sizing for value when on the river you have the nuts. You put your opponent in a medium weak range hand, so you make a medium size bet only to get called by something like the second or third nuts and get mad with yourself with all the value you lost. Cause you know he could easily call a lot more with that hand but the bet made him play cautiously.:mad:

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What this article doesn't cover is variety against players you regularly play against. If you do the same thing over and over again against the same players they're gonna know if you have it or not.

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excellent article, I hope I can win it on the river in future hands, it is usually the last card that usually spoils a winning hand

wilmer907907

wilmer907907

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With River well played, it will help us win some more bets, and also save other unnecessary bets. The combination of these two things means that you will earn a lot of money in the long term.

To minimize the negative part we must:

Identify all the possible moves that can win you

Bet face with strong hands, eye you should only bet on the River if you think you will have the winning move most of the time if they match you.

nothing easy to do, but we are trying to dominate it san river

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good article, it's a complicated question to answer simply.
I always try to pay attention to the bets that the opponent makes and see if at some point he shows weakness, which gives me an idea of ​​his hand range, depending on this and other things like the amount of the bet it is possible to win easily on the river with a bluff.

I found the part of the article that talks about VALUE OWNING YOURSELF very interesting

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good satya, I really liked it, when I bluff take into account all things, what position the player is in, how he played preflop, watching even for the time he thinks, and only after all this I bet on the flop or not in general, I see who he is a fish or a regular, of course, they don’t throw their pairs off the fish, even put them on the allyn, but I don’t even speak about the top pair and don't even look at my kickers, but I can beat the top pair with a good kicker , and even the AA from the flop, I threw off.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent has been sitting with you for a while, he has seen the stories he has told you with his hands and I have seen him call many times you know he will believe your story with worse hands. Sometimes we have to play outside of good hands with regular batteries. The river is where those situations arise most times you take the players in streets previous to an alley where on the river they end up seeing the light or they want to make you believe that they saw the river has more broken hearts than cupid good luck greetings:dancing2:

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely bluff on the river, I watched many who lost everything on the river, so I learned from others that I did not go all in the river, even when I play against the fish, I always play cautiously (of course, when I'm concentrated on the game :) )

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What this article doesn't cover is variety against players you regularly play against. If you do the same thing over and over again against the same players they're gonna know if you have it or not.

Good point!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked the article. It is true that trying to bluff on the river is a very bad idea.

I try to always build my bluff, it is to say to play more often and especially to take again prefloope to gain in credibility. when we have more chips than others or we get the position. It is easier to put your law on the table and to bluff more frequently.

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was interesting, definitely going to try incorporating this. My only question would be how do you differentiate between someone who more than likely has a worse hand and someone who has been slowplaying a better hand?

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it s a very useful article , sometimes the river can solve all the puzzles in ur head . so it depends on the way of playing it . must be carefull and it s beest not to bluff only with strong hand that way u can win if ur opponent is trying to steal that pot but he find himself very deep .

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I have lost a big pot by not betting on the river when I have a flush draw or straight draw, and most of the time the opponent has nothing in his hand. If you bet on the flop, turn is very important a bet on the river, because if the opponent has not hit anything it is obvious that he will fold his hand. Now while bluffing, do this rarely, especially if there is resistance from your opponent and even apply a re-raise most of the time your opponent is not kidding. Good luck to everyone.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is better not to bring to the river, but if the river happened, then of course you need to understand the opponent’s line of play, because experienced players will provoke you to bluff with your small bet or if your turn, you sometimes need to risk and bluff, sometimes the river makes me cry

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Very helpful article for beginer this is one of the things I was doing very bad when I first started playing on the river having a strong hand I use to make really strong hands that worst hands were folding me and only calling the better hands ...also when I had decent hand bet small and obviosly got call by the better hand when I first learn about this strategy or lesson I got my eyes open and of course improve a lot my game it is alwasy good to remember some basic lessons of betting sizes and range analysis... great Article!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am in the hand at the river, I usually have a good hand. So most of the time, for me; it is a decision of value bet, trap or maybe overbet hoping they will think I am bluffing. I suppose frequently, I don't get the additional call when I have the nuts.

If Bricxjo is still in the hand with me on the rive then I am not betting unless I have the stone cold nuts - and then of course I am obligated to bet.

And, I mean this out of respect for his play generally. You should always try to figure out who this player is at your table.

Good luck !

Misely31

Misely31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Very good article, I learned new things, Normally I only bet on the River if I think I have the winning play, rarely bluffing on the river because of the risk of the play coming out wrong. I will try to put all these tips into practice.

A

alannalmeida

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank's madam

Amazing article, after read this i realize that sometimes i do as thought, and it was very wrong, I was making the worst decisons i ever could do. Thanks for that i really appreciate.)) should be good, but after read this article i saw that there is somethings i'm doing wrong an anothers i was doing very bad, thank you so much for that.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am not a good bluffer.I miss value very often.This article will help me out to get more from my winning hand .

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Interesting article.
I don't think people think about the opponents range when bluffing river, particular in CC games.
I would like to also add to the conversation downbetting. When we feel the opponent is weighted towards bricked draws and we don't need to bet as much. Of course good opponents can attack these weak blockerish type bluffs so you need to balance it with very strong hands.
An element to my game I have incoporated in recent years is having a plan before I get to the river. What hands to bluff etc.
For instance I used to bluff way to much, especially on bad rivers (like a board pairing river, which makes it easier for villian to call)
What does everyone think about overbetting and do you incorporate it into your game.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I reviewed my hands, I began to realize that I was betting on the wrong river and sometimes not betting.
this game is very complex - when I think I'm starting to play well, I see a topic like this to contradict my convictions.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars