Any Benefits of Freerolls

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi all

i would say yes you can still learn on free games but you have to know how to separete things becouse diferent game veriations and diferent stages may cause a change on how the villians may play

on cash games they wont play like that( in this case does not apply)
on later stages of tournaments or with high buy ins they would be more thight( in this case it also does not apply)

but i would say in satalites with low buy-in, FPP games, tournaments with low buy-in and let you rebuy for the first hour or so they will play the same way they would on freerolls games
they may shove with any two cards until they have something to lose like a big stack or make it past the bubble

so i would say you can and will learn you just cant apply it to every situation

Botanicaldreams

Botanicaldreams

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls Worth it?

I have got a question for you, more experienced poker players:

Would you consider it a waste of time to try and get involved in private free-rolls to build up a bankroll?

I am hesitant to actually deposit anything due to my current broke college student status but I love playing poker.

B

benspocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well i always like private freerolls specially to build up my funds and i think the double or nothing are also good fund builders

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just deposit 50$, its like 30£, or a night out for a student, LEARN sit'n'go, and just play them, youll make money easy.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just deposit 50$, its like 30£, or a night out for a student, LEARN sit'n'go, and just play them, youll make money easy.
I see your point it is only a little money.

But the 10th or 20th time you deposit it is getting a lot of money.

I do not make deposits if I run to zero I just wait for a freeroll that pumps money back to my bankroll.

I have done that for more then a half year now and been a pokerstars chromestar all the time.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls is a good opportunity to practice poker for free but if you want to win something, then play in the freeroll that have less then 1500 people because if more, little chance to win

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see your point it is only a little money.

But the 10th or 20th time you deposit it is getting a lot of money.

I do not make deposits if I run to zero I just wait for a freeroll that pumps money back to my bankroll.

I have done that for more then a half year now and been a PokerStars chromestar all the time.

I mean, for a recreational player, I guess thats fine. But I dont lose my BR, I started off as a losing player, but I learnt the game and learnt how to play, now I increase my BR.
It depends what youre looking for...

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll tournaments or micro and place for learning. At every tournament with a slightly larger role is played much more serious. Only now up and running adrenalin, the rewards are greater, play smart, chosen. Players are serious, no insults, all are somehow different. The only freeroll tournaments with bigger prizes become a real challenge.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played the one billion tournament 109$ buy in.

I think there was a lot of unserius players. I dont know why, maybe they dont respect money.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mmmm. To be honest, I don`t think you can learn that much playing freerolls. They r just a good way to start a bankroll. You cannot even try to bluff your opponents cause they r not playing poker.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting read on some of your thoughts 2003 played online first freeroll on acr turned it over sports betting to 5000 and that was used to fun 40 something sites. I have never ever deposited.

What I will say is have played every level and you got bingo and bad players? EVERYWHERE. I have played the 50.00 buy ins and have ran into very very very bad play. So for most of what am reading am kinda just shaking my head honestly.

Maybe you have a great forum aint played you all yet. Maybe you have games and play decently but still guarantee is some knuckleheads on this forum no offense is just what it is.

I would love to just do sit and goes against 9 other great opponents non stop that I knew what who they were and were all solid players think that would work out well in my favor.

Biggest thing in poker is evaluation strategy etc.. learning your opponents so take notes is advice even if is 2000 some people over time six 10 months you will have notes on majority of people and use it to exploit it. Meaning yes you can take the freerolls work your bankroll all the way up and keep playing them and win more and more and more by doing a system that works for you:)

I will say bet online took me three weeks no money wrote notes after notes on bingo players bad players the FEW FEW FEW real good players lol. Fourth week? Moneyed once a day at least. Same tournaments now im winning.

Cards changed? Well maybe a little but even changed strategy for a certain time frame in tourneys to try to get a better result open game a bit at right time:)

These are things you learn with experience and by paying attention and yes timely luck but I believe that luck will come. The best thing you can have as a poker player is short term memory:)

I like freerolls would rather play super solid players as stated but is hard to do when you like to play four rooms at a time and play all day or all night.

I have lost in that last 12 years every way humanly possible. I have lost as often AA to garbage in a freeroll as in a big regular event or in ring.

So to those against? What is your preperation? How much patience do you have? Where do you find your games do you play the same things daily so you know your opponents etc.. Am curious why your soo down on freerolls when to me is just another event cause im telling you I run into same play all over or have at just about every level. I remember people telling me 8 years ago ohhh ten dollar buy ins means better players BULL HICKEY I didnt find that yes was some good players and took notes on them but still had same guys that would do the chasing or whatever or just extremely bad play and get paid off whatever the reason they got tired all in with queen seven off and hit trip sevens to my kings or whatever.

Ive had people all in 2-4 offsuit where had to call in buy in tourneys with aces and lost thats this week lol.

So yeah aint sure on some of what is stated.

You learn poker by studying and by application freerolls is just one application.

So yeah unless you got a field of ten buddies you play all the time a freeroll is about the same as a 5.00 buy in for me every day of the week.

I see the same things lol I just have short term memory:) I laugh a lot and enjoy the game and usually it all works out.

Also if your losing or dead carded and still want to play ??? Avoiding the buy ins for a day and not losing anything is AWESOME had to make that point a freeroll is great so you don't throw your money away. That is a decision I make a lot daily haha.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll is removal of the brain
is where you meet the players
at different levels of the
game .People than not at risk
and play anyhow so the
chances of good practice or
win very small

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started play in freerolls. I would recommend it to get the basics. it will make you functional at poker, but it will not make you good.

I learned a lot from them, but more just a feel for how cards tend to fall ad how hand tend to play out than when to raise, check, and fold etc. It also isn't a good place to learn about range or position, and bluff isn't good to develop here since people will just call.

HOWEVER. if you get to the second hour, it starts looking more like a normal tournament. not completely, people still aren't as good, but the loose play from not investing anything into it gets overshadowed by the thought of wasting an hour playing and not getting into the money and the prospect of payout ahead.

You will learn much more from the second hour and beyond than the first. You will learn more with cash games than either, but it isn't that bad of a place to start, especially if you are unsure and don't want to invest and money at all into it yet.

Just if you start in freerolls, don't stay there too long. Play a dozen or so, learn their lessons, then decide if you feel comfortable playing with real money or not

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For one thing Freerolls are FREE. You could build a bankroll here if you're lucky enough. Sure you could pick up bad habits but that is if you want to pick them up. Depends on you.

redcross

redcross

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing freerolls help with is how to survive a donkfest. It's always an all in or fold slug out that isn't teaching any real skills that translate to large real money tourneys. All freerolls are good for it trying to get a bankroll built from nothing.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have to pipe in. What MTT do you guys regularly buy into that your saying is much different from your average freerolls?

I dont see much myself. I see leagues buy in tourneys up to 10.00 that I encounter the same levels of players not saying all people are the same.

Yet know have ran into people even here I consider subpar or bingo or very bad players.

I have to keep reminding myself after taking notes on someone that even bad players can do things right catch cards trick me by slow playing aces or a set etc..

I have moneyed 3 times tonight so far on freerolls. I finished on bubble twice I have had mad distractions the entire night where had to walk away for 20 -40 even like 60 minutes lol and still got results.

is even worse today today lol cause is weekend have no notes on a lot more people yet on weekends and some are drunk or gloriously bad so have had up and down moments all day or night lol.

Just because you see a person being a donkey doesnt mean you have to participate lol.

Interesting thing just to use one site during the week at night is same group of guys almost every night on betonline who wind up in the little money they are giving out. So yes you learn a lot more in second and third hours.

Yet you also learn for mtt's when and how to make movement when and how to bluff and the patience it takes to beat a multitude of people.

I played 5 oss events on acr and moneyed 3 of them and the 3 dollar buy ins were to me the worst play worst than freerolls most days.

I respect all thoughts here but find myself baffled by a lot of the responses.

Maybe they play 50.00 buy ins and dont think run into bad players but I have:)

One thing you always need no matter how good you are is luck luck to hold up some hands luck to catch at times when you make a mistake etc.. no game is infallible and no one is:)

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls on every site is the only i started a bankroll it took some time and patience but i have nice size bankroll from starting from nothing 2 accounts and both are a little over 100 not much but its a start but it took 3 months of playing

L

luisexy69

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try during a few time freerolls, and catch a few things of poker strategy, and you will see that is not so bad, like most of the people said, many players that today have a huge bankroll start playing in frees, build a bankroll and learn more about poker, try do the same, with patience, you can get ther and see that your effort paid

bracadelija

bracadelija

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll is great for all beginners!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The benefit is available only in the later stages of the tournament, and even then not always)) Freerolls there are freerolls.

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. In some respects, freerolls aren't great, but it's more than offset by the following:

Teaches you about patience.
*** MORE IMPORTANTLY *** - It teaches you to observe how your opponents play and how to exploit what they are doing.

Case in point - The Astronomer Freerolls on Pokerstars, and specifically, the Fixed Limit O8 freeroll. In the span of one week, I won 3 tickets in 4 attempts. The fields were about 3k and it awarded 72 (if memory serves me correct) tickets.
How did I do it? Very simple. I just stayed patient and picked up on the tendencies of my opponents in the first hour. When the right spots hit, I took advantage and built up a good stack, one that I can use to play against better players as the tournament went on.
Usually the first hour is where the craziest play takes place so big hands are less of a favorite so you just have to be patient and be in the mode to "exploit" your opponents.

So hopefully this, while not really getting into strategy, is helpful with your mindset and approach to large field freerolls.

I completely agree with this. One of the most useful forms of practice is learning how to fold time and time again without letting it get to you. The person seated directly to your left is going to go all in pre-flop with any two cards - this you can bet on. Towards the beginning of a freeroll don't come in pre-flop with anything you wouldn't put all the chips in for. It's going to get frustrating, and that's part of the argument FOR playing in freerolls. Get in there and force yourself to learn how to fold in frustrating situations. FOLD FOLD FOLD. Only play sure things until late registration or the rebuy/addon period ends. After the late reg / rebuy period ends, play normalized a bit, getting more regular as the tournament gets closer to the final table.

Nice part about freerolls - you can finish a tournament that started with 1,000 people in 2-3 hours. No way that's going to happen in a real money tourney.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no deposits bankroll now on 6 sites over 750 total in winnings FROM FREEROLLS i have spent less than 10.00 on buy ins.

So yes have game and got lucky with acr tourney giving me 540 but im up without that 200 something lol. Freerolls so do they have a benefit? Well I would say so. With drew yesterday at acr also and moneyed 3 times 2 2.00 buy ins and first 10.00 on demand freeroll for 2.55 I won that 505 people. Betonline money two times yesterday full flush one time. Day before won high 20's on freerolls. So to me yes has worth but you need to have strategy you need patience and a solid game and some luck or lots of luck etc.. yet now after a month of playing im winning daily.

and above the time frame? Ya even a 2.00 entry on acr is like 5 hours compared to the three lol for a freeroll:) def notice that haha teaches more patience again and not being scared when you sit there for 3 hours at 5k chips lol and think man got to get some chips lol. They usually come if patient and all sudden your in a rush and top 10 lol.

D

Dagano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not much to learn from freerolls, usually just wasting time (few freerol exception)

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I cant understand is when people say playing freerolls or for play money is bad, the worst of the worst play on these, there are actualy good players on them too, espicialy in the end there are players that could be serious players just having fun (like me hahaha), but overall you will have very weak opponents, if you cant figure out how to beat lousy players, how do you think you can win agenst good players... the thing is is to not judge yourself to harshly playing them.. alot of them you have to beat 1000 players to make a dollar, its alot easyier to make money when having to actualy buy into the games, but if you can always finsh close to the end consistantly, you probably are not a bad playet.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I cant understand is when people say playing freerolls or for play money is bad, the worst of the worst play on these, there are actualy good players on them too, espicialy in the end there are players that could be serious players just having fun (like me hahaha), but overall you will have very weak opponents, if you cant figure out how to beat lousy players, how do you think you can win agenst good players... the thing is is to not judge yourself to harshly playing them.. alot of them you have to beat 1000 players to make a dollar, its alot easyier to make money when having to actualy buy into the games, but if you can always finsh close to the end consistantly, you probably are not a bad playet.

Just my 2 cents...
is amazing to see the same group of guys on same sites 90% of the time just saying. So yes maybe the strategies of the other players are poor im always amazed watch see guys in tourneys hit lik30k in first hour but see some of game and is crappy and im like your gone in half hour will run into a real player lol
someone will tilt them something is pretty funny
honestly

if you truly bingo your way to a chip stack 36 calling all ins with 87 suited etc..

is hard to break habits later in my own humble personal viewpoint

usually you will pay for playing that style by playing a non good hand too strong say 87 again and flop is 824 you all in
guy has a set of fours who is a good player

so sure you can gamble way to top hit a lucky streak

but if you cannot turn that around? play solid from that point? generally
at the end you wont be there.

Luck is a part of this game but each of us only has it so often and only for periods of time otherwise same person would never lose lol

so just pointing out some things I gamble a bit but never
bingo if am all in got at least decent chance of a win
i dont call people with 8-2 and for sure dont call
two or three all ins with those cards lol

yet you see it and sometimes someone wins gets super
lucky lol and ummm usually continues to play like
an donkey and is short lived

once in awhile that person who keeps winning
so they do it again and again try at least and same
guy will watch throw away 100-200 bucks in 10 minutes
in ring at 1-2 dollars
the poker gods sleep at times but not long term