XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
benefit: throwing nothing to win something

it is obv a good idea to gain experience if not sure how to start playing poker.

benefit: no money pressure, low stress
even lost AA it is not a big deal, if lost AA all in in wsop main event HU battle, that is huge lose. compared to that, freeroll is good.

regarding to the bad habbit.
don't think sitting in a loose environment too long is that bad, you still gain experience by playing that many hand.

the only drawback about freeroll is
the schedule of the freeroll is not flexible. - not like cash table or buyin game. you may pick your favorite time.
esp if want to play several freeroll at same time frame. it is hard to do.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no difference in a freeroll compared to $0.25 buy in games the play is just the same, who cares if they lose $0.25 compared to $0.00, my suggestion is to read and post here to gain access to the CardsChat freerolls where the play is very good, there are some new members that play stupidly but that is rare and they usually don't last long.

Check out this thread if you already haven't. ----> https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-freerolls-31/cardschat-freeroll-club-requirements-145133/

Lol!! G!!! Wonder what new members... Funny... Your right though, the cards chat games are a great game to learn. :icon_geek

L

losties

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a benefit to freeroll, so don't think that you've just wasted your time on them. Once you go deep into a freeroll, you play against players that know what they are doing, you just have to see it as good practice!! just gotta hang in there and keep learning.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll - it's a bad poker school ! You do not bear any responsibility ! Fear of losing money ! Therefore it is better to make a deposit of $ 10 and play SNG at least $ 0.25 ! It is much more useful !

This is wrong, the easiest to pay and play...When you take money in Freeroll then you learn to play ..however ,that's just my opinion. ;)

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think is difficult any benefit on freerolls, many players play for fun and dont play it serious....

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive always looked at freerolls as a way of promoting sites. Because people always say yes to "free" to just about anything as long as its free. Though private freerolls pay much better than software sites, you gain more experience playing your fellow friends and it feels more like multi sng rather than just a freeroll. But you can benefit from bad plays and adjust to bad habits if you feel it coming onto you.. Its a part of learning and fixing leaks.

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sure freerolls make you become so much more patient. Waiting for the right hand can get crazy at times. Not much experience though as many players there are basically amateurs.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament Money games are more great of course, but if you play freerolls with the same focus and the same competitive spirit, you can take some benefits.

P

pkr_man14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most freerolls are not a good starting point. If you cannot or simply don't want to deposit, you could try joining the freeroll club in order to play on cardschat freerolls. The level of most players in these freerolls are certainly higher than in any other freerolls you can find. Good luck

J

jano333

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well some freerools are good for experience and habits and some not.
The ones with 300 or less participiants are pretty much all right to learn.
The ones with 1k + players are random all-ins festival at beggining with various weird decisions which wouldn't be made otherwise.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres nothing wrong with playing... aslong as you are exploiting the bad plays and not copying them ;)

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Scoobie. Freerolls are a bad way to learn, but if you can learn patience you will learn to take advantage of them. Been said but your better depositing a bit and play low stakes, playing for your own money will improve your game better and you will also find some good 1st deposit offers out there.

GL anyway.

:D :D :D

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. In some respects, freerolls aren't great, but it's more than offset by the following:

Teaches you about patience.
*** MORE IMPORTANTLY *** - It teaches you to observe how your opponents play and how to exploit what they are doing.

Case in point - The Astronomer Freerolls on pokerstars, and specifically, the Fixed Limit O8 freeroll. In the span of one week, I won 3 tickets in 4 attempts. The fields were about 3k and it awarded 72 (if memory serves me correct) tickets.
How did I do it? Very simple. I just stayed patient and picked up on the tendencies of my opponents in the first hour. When the right spots hit, I took advantage and built up a good stack, one that I can use to play against better players as the tournament went on.
Usually the first hour is where the craziest play takes place so big hands are less of a favorite so you just have to be patient and be in the mode to "exploit" your opponents.

So hopefully this, while not really getting into strategy, is helpful with your mindset and approach to large field freerolls.

M

mrsshlotter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is freerolling worth the aggro?

what is your opinion?
I personally feel you have to have the patience of a saint...

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you can afford to deposit even a small amount they aren't worth it imo. If it's your only option then I guess they're better than play money.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I much prefer playing cash games or small buy in tournaments, but overall cash games. Freerolls for me feel like a lottery, too many people going all in every hand and there is no consistency.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards chat freeroll is the best. Yeah, most of the freeroll needs patience and long hours of play.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards chat freeroll is the best. Yeah, most of the freeroll needs patience and long hours of play.

I agree with you, patience is essential in freerolls.
although many times it is very difficult to maintain patience with so many fish playing the lottery.

: JD4: : JD4: : JD4:

MiamiMadePunk

MiamiMadePunk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If course freerolling is worth it, the secret is to survive two hours of donkfest, and then the real poker begins.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its worth it, worst case its good practice

If your not rolled to play buyins its really worth it

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can afford to deposit even a small amount they aren't worth it imo. If it's your only option then I guess they're better than play money.

I agree 100%. As a recreational player I consider my entry fees to be the same as paying for a movie, or green fees* at the golf course. It's entertainment money. While I will play a freeroll every once in a while, I don't enjoy them as much.

Cheers!

*BTW, I've never tilted playing poker as hard as I used to on the golf course.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our freerolls are worth it imo because we have great players. Things like freerolls on demand for $10 seem less worth it, but I still load one up if I need another table running.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll benefits? Tons of laughter & a chance to win *drum roll* FREE MONEY! :)

All you gotta spend is your time and some brain cells. Your head will explode with some of the showdown hands you will find at level 1 of the tournament. As the tournament progresses though you should hopefully be playing somewhat real poker.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have commented here before but as i was playing today and notice how i have thrown so many frerolls away but this time it came back to me. You ask of the benefits of freerolls and here is a great benefit. There was another thread where several have already mentioned how losing comes with the game and you learn. Well with FREE ROLLS we can use then to test are reads. If you get past the early donk stages, you know calms then. Then you will look mighty stupid at times but on those hands where you just got to see. Well call and look stupid and if its a small amount even better but you will gain confidence if your reads are dead on 95% of time. you'll learn to trust yourself then you must have the discipline to fold. I think thats a great tip. I only suggest this in freerolls to gain confidence.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe in freerolls and that you can learn from them.
Of course there are many kinds of freeroll and the learning stage are not in the beginning of the freeroll as many donks are still in.
But you will meet all kind of players and if you manage to put players on range you can do good in freerolls and earn money/tickets from them.
its hard work to build bankroll on freerolls but it is possible.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The COST of Free

I do think there is some benefit to playing freerolls. First, there are some Loyalty type freerolls, with some decent prizes. But most of the responses in this thread are for freerolls with no deposit or raked hand requirements, small prizes and with huge amounts of players. This second type is the one I will make comments about why they might be useful.

If you play these types of freerolls, then the cost of playing them is time. If you spend 4 hrs (or more) and finally finish in the money, then that $1 or $2 will be significant for you. There will also be a lot of time used in playing freerolls in which you don't win money, so you total time for the small profit will be significant. If you then use these winnings to get into a low limit game, you will value the amount of time it took you to win the bankroll and hopefully play more wisely with that small bankroll that you've won on freerolls.

At the beginning of the freeroll, there are lots on BINGO players (bet all in on just about any two cards, hoping to double up). Most of these get knocked out fairly quickly (so lesson is DON"T be a bingo player). Towards the end of the tourney (i.e. at the final table), the players usually take the game much more seriously. You can then learn some lessons about playing strategies, without having to pay for these lessons (with money, but you will still have paid in your time).

Freeroll Passwords