Any Benefits of Freerolls

S

Scoobie007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing in many freerolls on BetOnline. As a new player is this teaching me bad habits because people bet so loosely or is there any benefit to this? Any play money tournaments you can think of with good players so I can learn good techniques. Thank you for your help in this matter.

S

SamBush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not being funny but real money games are the only way you will learn how to play an optimal game! maybe deposit small and play the micros?

Slawa1986

Slawa1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll - it's a bad poker school ! You do not bear any responsibility ! Fear of losing money ! Therefore it is better to make a deposit of $ 10 and play SNG at least $ 0.25 ! It is much more useful !

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah if you're learning to play from scratch then freerolls probably wont be very good for your game since the standard is awful and may make you pick up some bad habits such as min-betting into a 100 BB pot

however having said that you will come up against players playing many different types of styles and so you will be able to see how each style plays and come up with strategies on how to play against each playing style as well as starting to learn some push/fold ranges and how lightly/strong you need to be when shoved upon.

apart from that i agree with the previous posters about making a small deposit and playing small buy in games

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in a freeroll and microlimits, have nothing to do, I do not advise too long to play in freerolls, you will have habits from which it will be very difficult to get rid..

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Scoobie. Freerolls are a bad way to learn, but if you can learn patience you will learn to take advantage of them. Been said but your better depositing a bit and play low stakes, playing for your own money will improve your game better and you will also find some good 1st deposit offers out there.

GL anyway.

:D :D :D

S

Scoobie007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the excellent advice on FREEROLLS. It is getting very frustrating, just lost to the chip leader, seems this guy gets good cards every time. Flushes, trip Kings, etc. Any chance game is rigged? How does one guy continually get great hands?

78mariusz

78mariusz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not agrre that freerols are a bad way to learn. True that's a specific games but there's the same rules like in MTT. The only one difference is need to wait first 15 min to out all "bingo players"

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A play money poker, for me, is not poker. Everyone can shove with anything,as u play for nothing. I think that even it can lead you to bad habits ( if u are going to start to play in real money afterwards).

"The guy who invented poker was bright,
But the guy who invented the chip was genius."

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've only seen one person mention it; but there is one reason that jumps out at me... Freerolls = Free money!

Sorry if that sounds patronizing, but freerolls are a great way to build your bankroll without having to risk anything but your time...

Now i'm not saying it's an easy way to build your roll, but there are plenty of players on here who have done just that. It takes time & patience but it can be done. And like hffjd2000 said; if nothing else, it will definitely teach you patience.

Scoobie... Is poker rigged?
NO.... In short: It just makes no business sense for legitimate poker sites to risk their gaming license by giving any player an advantage over another. We all get bad beats, that's just the nature of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
There is no difference in a freeroll compared to $0.25 buy in games the play is just the same, who cares if they lose $0.25 compared to $0.00, my suggestion is to read and post here to gain access to the CardsChat freerolls where the play is very good, there are some new members that play stupidly but that is rare and they usually don't last long.

Check out this thread if you already haven't. ----> https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-freerolls-31/cardschat-freeroll-club-requirements-145133/

B

binnk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With freerolls you can start gathering some money without any deposit, being able to play with money with no risk for you

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one can learn a lot from freerolls, trying any strategies without risking money and a chance to win some.

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. Freerolls are strongly recommended for beginners so that there is no risk of money initially. And if you learn in the process, you can easily build a bankroll and start playing in small tourneys. Coming to loose players in freerolls, you can just learn from them how not to play poker. So, I think that freerolls are a great way to come up in poker gradually by exercising a great patience.

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Issue

I always call people down in freerolls. I never think they have anything. Thats a terrable habit. Its hard when you get moved every ten hands as well because you cant keep a record of how others play. I have learned to not call people down so much in freerolls and play it as if i was playing any tournament. Fact is your gonna lose in freerolls...a lot. People get lucky, people fish for the river and nail it and because of the blinds and ants sometimes you become pot commited, and lose. Its the nature of the beast. Personally I have come up from 2.00$ in a freeroll win and about three months later I was at 1,500$. I cashed out a grand a sat with the 500$ ignoring bankroll management and took a shot. lol I lost 400$ and bounced back with the 100$. Honestly throw 50 bucks on a prepaid visa and play, save some time and frusteration. To many people really dont care and its bingo, bingo, bingo. lol good luck

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Definitely. It's all in your approach. Have a plan and set a goal.

Also, really good place to try out different styles.

L

lacemaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Benefits of freerolls

I agree with some of the previous posters that some people equate freerolls with play chips and throw all-ins on a whim. But like some of the others said, freerolls are free money - you can build your stake and get into cash buy-in games without risking money of your own. Try out the play at various sites. I have found some sites to be 'free money' sites because so many of the players are beginners and don't have any idea of how to play. On others, play has gotten tighter as players learn. One site, that I have a little money on, has 3-person 10 plus 1 cent winner-take-all tourneys all morning until about noon ET. As soon as one tourney ends, another is available. It is definitely free money, as you only have to outplay 2 people to add 30 cents to your bankroll.

My advice is to play as tightly as you know how, regardless of how the other players are playing. If they are going all in with junk, fold to all-ins unless you already have a boss made hand like a straight flush, full house, or 4 of a kind. Fold to most all-ins before the flop.

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BetOnline is a good one. I just got a flyer in the mail that Full Flush was giving out free $5 in the first week of November since it's their birthday. I don't know if it's true or not but I joined up just in case I can start another bank roll there :) good luck all!

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The level of play in the cardschat freerolls is usually pretty high, that'd be a good start.

nsinalis11

nsinalis11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in freerolls learn me a lot ,helps you to make bankroll and play more with your knowledge than your luck,it is very useful and gives you a change to go on with your bankroll.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can learn the ropes of MTTs from freerolls, but you have to have the discipline to play to win.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For some players freerolls are the beginning. But its too hard to play against new and unexperienced players.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can train you to be more patient. It can learn you basics of game. I mean basics literally like what combinations are how strong..:) and you can win some money with no risk.

J

jayace66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are good.

I play a good number of freerolls because its free money if you win, I actually can't wait to become a cardschat freeroll club member because the the game quality is very high. I've only played in three exlusive 1000.00 PS tourneys, I've enjoyed them all even though I only cashed once. The one negative thing about some freerolls is how small some are and how long it takes to win small amounts.

Freeroll Passwords