Always call all in with AA preflop?

D

DerlyGR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When 3 or more players go all in. I wanted to know what you do in this situation. Thank you.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you all have the same amount of chips at the start of the hand. I would pass on AA with 3 people all in front of me. When I play AA I want only 2 other players at most in the hand with me for all my chips. 3 in the hand already and there still could be more then I pass on AA. That doesn't happen often enough though.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It depends.

If this is the start of a micros tournament I call, if it's on the bubble for a ticket into a big tournament that my BR is too small to buy-in to then I will fold.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Certainly, because in the long run you will gain more than lose, consequently making a profit. So it's always a good idea all in pre flop with such a hand

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely call it BUT if it was a sattelite and I was short stacked and there were about 2 others super short stacked about to be bubbled out of getting ticket into big event, then I would fold.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apart from the very valid satty bubble argument,...
it is also acceptable to fold AA pre if you are near the bubble of a tourney that you won entry to in a satty.
say you won a $500 ticket in a satty...your entire bankroll is say $100...min cash is $1000...you are on the bubble...you can fold with a clear conscience if the call would bust you if you lost.
But it is not in the spirit of the game. Go Big or go Home.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason i would ever fold aces preflop is at the final table with really specific requirements.

- At the final table when I'm substantially behind in blinds (less than 2 big blinds) and everyone else at the table has very similar, and relatively large stacks. Enough people at the table have to go all in to warrant a fold. For example: final seven, at least four other people would have to be all in or be forced to call all in for me to fold. therefore, I'd be expect to get third place. This is better than having a favorable chance to quintuple (5x) my stack because of the fact that when I lose (I'm assuming about 40 or 50% of the time given the fact it would be a 5 way pot) I place 7th in the tourney. And, when I don't, I'd be placed 3rd or 4th of four players remaining which isn't much better than a near guaranteed forth place.

In any other situation, I cannot fathom the idea of folding aces preflop. They are simply too good to fold. Run pocket aces through a preflop odds calculator, they are never going to be -EV to go all in with preflop.

Here's CardChat's odd calculator if you want to test it yourself. (It doesn't calculate equity; you'd have to do that yourself on another website)
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php

Last edited:
S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When 3 players call all in, AA is worse than a coin flip....

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- At the final table when I'm substantially behind in blinds (less than 2 big blinds) and everyone else at the table has very similar, and relatively large stacks. Enough people at the table have to go all in to warrant a fold. For example: final seven, at least four other people would have to be all in or be forced to call all in for me to fold. therefore, I'd be expect to get third place. This is better than having a favorable chance to quintuple (5x) my stack because of the fact that when I lose (I'm assuming about 40 or 50% of the time given the fact it would be a 5 way pot) I place 7th in the tourney. And, when I don't, I'd be placed 3rd or 4th of four players remaining which isn't much better than a near guaranteed forth place.
this is also a good argument for folding AA...yup :)

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rec player here, I'm never folding.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! AA I can fold with a small mine on the bubble, in other situations I turn the bet up to the maximum. Best regards, Sergei.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Without any hesitation, with a couple of aces I always go all-in. This is a perfectly justified risk.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In almost any case i will pay with AA. Exception is where i am near bubble in satellite and i am sure that i will qualify anyway.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Except for a very exceptional situation, I don't see a way to fold AA preflop. The only thing that occurs to me is that you have entered a large tournament through a satellite, you are playing off the bench, bubble stage against several all in, there I would prefer to fold if the ITM represents a lot for your bank

MatiasGomez

MatiasGomez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there are many situations to fold AA. Preflop would say that is impossible. Perhaps as they said in another comment being in the bubble and several people throw all in at the risk of being left out. But even so, if it did not run so much risk of being left out in the bubble, i would call the same

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only fold AA against a big stack on the bubble just before the prize money.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I'm always calling all in with aces. The only difficult spot is the money bubble depending on the prize pool and buy-in.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop all in with AA I'll take my chances. Vs as many people.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alli-in AA

When 3 or more players go all in. I wanted to know what you do in this situation. Thank you.
in an all-in you can have 5 or more with AA I don't run I don't lose everything else I don't run because AA is AA ne is already 80% of the game won or up to 95% kkkkk

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it is a tournament then yes

if it is a cash game then only if i am not deep

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to go slow with AA, for the most money, usually I notice they have a pair, when I have my AA lol

Frankqc666

Frankqc666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont play satelite that much but i understand the argument of folding on the bubble... if im sure to qualify maybe i will fold but 99.9% of the time i will call all in preflop with AA, for me its obvious.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When 3 players call all in, AA is worse than a coin flip....

It's not, check it out on an equity calculator. When multiple players go all in they are going to have blockers to each other in their hands. Your equity will be more than 50%. But that's kind of missing the point anyway. If I offered you a coin flip where if you lose the flip you lose €1, but if you win the flip you win €4, would you not take that coin flip?

The only times I would not call are the satellite bubble and (very specific) final table with a tiny stack situations described above.

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i don't like AA flop shoving

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Years ago, on one of the poker sites the big-name resident pro (I forget who) was asked if everyone at the table was all in, would he fold AA. He said No.

A related point made by Harrington on your odds with AA when confronted with 1 opponent vs. multiple players:
AA♣ 81.3% 61.2% 51.6% 45.4%
4♣4♠ 18.7% 17.3% 15.1% 15.5%
JT♥ .............21.5% 17.2% 16.0%
88♥ ........................16.1% 15.4%
K♣7♥ ....................................7.8%

Last edited: