A situation where folding the nuts is the right choice.

ADDIENORML

ADDIENORML

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay in. He's either foolish or desperate or both.

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In table games NEVER. Always playing the nuts is profitable in the long term so there is no reason to fold.
But if you are in big tournament and you face an all in from the biggest stack you could fold if you want but even there, for me it would be a very hard fold, I honestly wouldn't do that.

B

bigheadnick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, by definition the nuts is the best hand possible. If you're folding the best hand possible then why play at all?

sofren

sofren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can fold nuts only accidentally. In poker noone situation is so bad that you will fold nuts. If we say: AA is nuts in preflop game. You should fold AA if 3,4 or 5 players going allin. In this situation you should fold becose chances for win is less. This is only situation for me when l fold nuts. On flop, turn or river folding nuts no sense. Just push ALLIN :D.

M

Mircea Craciun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have AKdd on a QJ10cc board. button shoves 100000bb showing TT and CO calls having you covered and shows AKcc, we have 1000000bb behind effective

^ this

Best case scenario split, around 60-65% chance of losing. But that is if you KNOW FOR SURE they have those hands. And have an insane number of bb's behind.

Although if I've invested half my stack pre-flop (smaller stack) and my opponents showed me their cards I would still probably call. Getting 6:1 with 35% to get 1.5 of starting stack is reasonable.

kissmyss

kissmyss

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about this 10 players left one player at another table is extremely short stacked, you have the 3rd largest stack and you are currently involved in a hand with the big stack.

You have 8♣9♣

Villain has K♠Q♠

Flop comes 10♠J♠7♦

Villain shoves and accidently reveals his cards to you the dealer nor the table notice or catch it.

This is the WSOP ME and if you outlast the short stack you become a November 9er.

You have the Current nuts however your a slight under dog. Winning this hand puts you in great shape and a legitimate chance to win the ME going to the FT with a chip lead...

However if you lose, you potentially lose a chance to get noticed on a bigger stage and don't get to be at the FT in the ME.

This is a good example where I would be laying the current nuts if facing an allin bet. Otherwise, if I was first to act I would bet huge here.. maybe even 2x or 3x the pot looking to take it down there.

M

mikeisanace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your broke and playing the biggest tourney of your life.

I would fold aces over jacks to a huge re raise if I was flat broke and knew I would cruise to an easy money finish if I folded. I mean the odds of your opponent busting you before the money with quads jacks are abysmal,but hey if it means your career and sleeping in your car then I may right?

F

fishyfishh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1, If you have the absolute nuts then you can't lose, current nuts a different story but either way no one is going to fold the nuts for fear of what's to come and if you are then your playing with SCARED MONEY and we all know this is a bad idea to do playing poker.

I agree with that, you gotta play the odds when theyre in your favor no matter what:cool:

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i had to throw my AA, when the board in the flop or in the turn is a drawing of straight, and the villan was allin.
But i think its depend of the type of tournament or level of cash game, and knowledge the oponent there.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should fold AA preflop in a satelite when you are 100% sure that you are gonna win ticket.

B

Broon1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People love this question and the answer is no except selected satellites situations

D

Diesss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe something like;
23 on a A45 board. The 4 and 5 are hearts. You have no hearts and you see your opponents cards and he has 5 6 of hearts.

Two 5's of hearts? I would definitely fold "the nuts" and take my money with me right away. :D

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe your misusing the term "nuts". The "nut" hand is the best possible hand. There is NEVER a reason to fold the nuts because you can't lose.

Roman Tsygankov

Roman Tsygankov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you joking? It is no reason in any situation to fold the nuts(or may be if you want to lose all your money it is a good way.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such a card to throw away the sin.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get your point in asking the question but this situation is never going to happen unless someone makes a big mistake and tips their hand or you strongly felt your opponent was on a flush draw on the flop and you hit the current nuts on the turn. Even in that situation, I am still calling unless the hand is somehow shown to me, and possibly even then.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1, If you have the absolute nuts then you can't lose, current nuts a different story but either way no one is going to fold the nuts for fear of what's to come and if you are then your playing with SCARED MONEY and we all know this is a bad idea to do playing poker.

I couldn't agree more. Current or absolute is the trick question. To have the nuts on the turn and be beaten, it's either a 1 card out to a straight flush, 1 to quads, or 4 to a boat.

cally

cally

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't fold the nuts. No matter how wet the board may seem. If you are guaranteed ahead but they may have outs on turn/river (20%~) you need to play these hands like you're going to win. Folding the nuts on a low chance your opponent hits is weak poker, if they hit you tip your cap and move on. You do not want to be folding in profitable situations or you will not win over time.

Folding in Poker