A situation where folding the nuts is the right choice.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see folding the nuts being a good move in a satellite. If you have the nuts on the flop or turn, but the guy most likely has a lot of outs to beat your hand, a fold might not be a bad idea. It would be situational though. If you were close to making the target tourney, there are short stacks, and you have a mid chip stack, a fold isn't a bad idea to put your satty win at risk. It's like how folding AA preflop is sometimes a good idea in a satty.

Pretty much any other nuts situation in hold em, get your chips in!

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see folding the nuts being a good move in a satellite. If you have the nuts on the flop or turn, but the guy most likely has a lot of outs to beat your hand, a fold might not be a bad idea. It would be situational though. If you were close to making the target tourney, there are short stacks, and you have a mid chip stack, a fold isn't a bad idea to put your satty win at risk. It's like how folding AA preflop is sometimes a good idea in a satty.

Pretty much any other nuts situation in hold em, get your chips in!

If there's ever a spot to fold postflop in a satty like that you probably should have folded pre. I guess if you're in the BB and check and flop the nuts in a spot like that then sure.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Don't be results oriented, and don't play scared thinking what *might* happen. Get those thoughts out of your mind now if you have any ambitions at all about being a long-term winning player.
D'Mo says it well here.

Get it in when you have the nuts, even I know that and I'm a fish. :p

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been tempted a few times to fold the "current nuts" on Carbon. But that was only after being rivered like 9,635,203 times on that site.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either you misclick, youre a fish, youre on a freeroll and are bored, or youre rich and just want to donate to the poker world.

angelluv725

angelluv725

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Holding Or Folding AA

I like this comment by BluffMeAllIn .. " +1, If you have the absolute nuts then you can't lose, current nuts a different story but either way no one is going to fold the nuts for fear of what's to come and if you are then your playing with SCARED MONEY and we all know this is a bad idea to do playing poker."

When I first started playing poker I was scared and "playing with SCARED MONEY", but now I have become more aware that they are just cards and the fear is gone. I don't believe I could ever fold the pair of AA.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
+1, If you have the absolute nuts then you can't lose, current nuts a different story but either way no one is going to fold the nuts for fear of what's to come and if you are then your playing with SCARED MONEY and we all know this is a bad idea to do playing poker.
From that definition then you can't flop the absolute nuts unless you have the higher end of a straight flush. Basically you cannot flop the absolute nuts pretty much ever.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding nuts? Are you kidding me? If I'm holding the nuts and someone shoves on me why would I ever consider folding? The odds are on my side, so I'm earning money in the long run.

M

mannaconda26

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably fold the nuts only if I was allergic to peanut butter and there was a family of rabid squirrels attacking me.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding nuts? Are you kidding me? If I'm holding the nuts and someone shoves on me why would I ever consider folding? The odds are on my side, so I'm earning money in the long run.
You clearly did not read the thread it seems. In any practical scenario no you would never fold the nuts but there is a certain hand that equity wise is actually better to fold if you know what your opponent has. Basically 2 people have the nut straight on the flop but one of them also has a flush draw.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way I might fold is described by Duggs, we have AK on QTJmono and opp shows AK with Royal/FD. Then yes sure I can find a fold to avoid chopping and losing to rake. Otherwise, no im never folding. And as d'mo said, you're making it seem like everyone here is dumb for thinking absolute nuts means absolute nuts lol. Absolute nuts means CANNOT be beat ever, with 2 cards still to come.
Why would you even consider folding to a freeroll? It's like AA and KK pre-flop, everyone will get them in pre if they get a chance. Next time when you have AA and he has KK you will win. Next time you have AKc you will freeroll your way to victory.

Absolute nuts only applies to the higher end of a straight flush then. Even if you flop AAA holding AK your opponent can still backdoor a Royal Flush.

You clearly did not read the thread it seems. In any practical scenario no you would never fold the nuts but there is a certain hand that equity wise is actually better to fold if you know what your opponent has. Basically 2 people have the nut straight on the flop but one of them also has a flush draw.
What kind of question is that? If that happens, I would base my decision entirely on pot odds.

Last edited:
Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you even consider folding to a freeroll? It's like AA and KK pre-flop, everyone will get them in pre if they get a chance. Next time when you have AA and he has KK you will win. Next time you have AKc you will freeroll your way to victory.

Absolute nuts only applies to the higher end of a straight flush then. Even if you flop AAA holding AK your opponent can still backdoor a Royal Flush.

What kind of question is that? If that happens, I would base my decision entirely on pot odds.
Of course in real life you are never folding the nuts and neither am I but the premise of this thread was based on a hypothetical scenario that you can see your opponent's cards.

D

Dikkas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would never fold a straight, ppl must raise to get information about you and other players, you just played bad there

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From that definition then you can't flop the absolute nuts unless you have the higher end of a straight flush. Basically you cannot flop the absolute nuts pretty much ever.

If i have 67h and the flop comes 345h...how do i lose ?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the higher end of a straight flush...

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How about this 10 players left one player at another table is extremely short stacked, you have the 3rd largest stack and you are currently involved in a hand with the big stack.

You have [8C][9c]

Villain has [Ks][Qs]

Flop comes [10s][Js][7d]

Villain shoves and accidently reveals his cards to you the dealer nor the table notice or catch it.

This is the wsop ME and if you outlast the short stack you become a November 9er.

You have the Current nuts however your a slight under dog. Winning this hand puts you in great shape and a legitimate chance to win the ME going to the FT with a chip lead...

However if you lose, you potentially lose a chance to get noticed on a bigger stage and don't get to be at the FT in the ME.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about this 10 players left one player at another table is extremely short stacked, you have the 3rd largest stack and you are currently involved in a hand with the big stack.

You have <font color='black'>8♣</font><font color='black'>9♣</font>

Villain has K♠Q♠

Flop comes 10♠J♠<font color='red'>7<font face="arial">♦</font></font>

Villain shoves and accidently reveals his cards to you the dealer nor the table notice or catch it.

This is the WSOP ME and if you outlast the short stack you become a November 9er.

You have the Current nuts however your a slight under dog. Winning this hand puts you in great shape and a legitimate chance to win the ME going to the FT with a chip lead...

However if you lose, you potentially lose a chance to get noticed on a bigger stage and don't get to be at the FT in the ME.
I specifically made this thread in the cash games section because I know an argument for folding in a tournament is based on too many other variables as well.

This hand was brought up before as well and yes the nuts is actually behind in terms of equity but its not enough to lay down the hand if there is any dead money involved which pretty much always is.

G

gianni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding nuts after flop is not good idea
if u have hand like AK come on flop TJQ I never fold it, if on turn come any TJQ I would think about folding my hand, your opponent can have any pair of TT JJ or QQ...but before turn I would not fold my nuts hand!!!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I specifically made this thread in the cash games section because I know an argument for folding in a tournament is based on too many other variables as well.

This hand was brought up before as well and yes the nuts is actually behind in terms of equity but its not enough to lay down the hand if there is any dead money involved which pretty much always is.

Well in a cash game the only time I can think of is if you were on a show or situation like "The Big Game" Where you are staked 100k and you get to keep any winning above the initial 100k and if you were up enough I'd fold

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing with scared money is something I have been tampering with sometime online.

It isn't fun!

Ha, like playing .25-.50 then doubling until one night you are playing $10-$20 and get dealt QQ late position. MP raises and the first words I yell is "Sh*t!"

Thats when you know you are playing scared money

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not fold my nuts. I can tuck em, but never fold em.......

Folding in Poker