sometimes... depends if the players are aggressive or not.. lol

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not afraid no

I Take into account that he could bust me but other than that i just try not to all in pre with a big stack. I always try to win a few decent pots off em other than that always gotta be carefull am i right.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of times the chip leader is the chip leader because they are willing to gamble. You just have to pick your spots and give yourself a chance to double up.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, if the chip leader knows what he's doing.

I'm not afraid of the chip leader at all. In fact, a whale chip leader can be a great source of easy-to-take chips. No, I'm not afraid of the chip leader...but that doesn't mean I'll willingly go heads-up against them if I don't have to. ICM pressure is still a thing and I respect the big stack. Respect isn't the same as being afraid.

As for "yes...[if they know] what they are doing" I'd like to comment that the chip lead has little to nothing to do with this. I'm on the lookout for other good players I respect - the ones who know what they are doing, but they don't have to be the chip leader to be on my radar. :D

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, generally the chip leader is opening wider leading you to making tougher decisions by calling or folding in marginal spots, generally you'll need to hero call off more often due to how much pressure they're putting on everyone playing any two cards. Just continue to play your game and let them encourage others to make mistakes.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, the chip leader can always bust you so you should tread carefully especially if you have a big stack.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not afraid of the chip leader at all. In fact, a whale chip leader can be a great source of easy-to-take chips. No, I'm not afraid of the chip leader...but that doesn't mean I'll willingly go heads-up against them if I don't have to. ICM pressure is still a thing and I respect the big stack. Respect isn't the same as being afraid.

As for "yes...[if they know] what they are doing" I'd like to comment that the chip lead has little to nothing to do with this. I'm on the lookout for other good players I respect - the ones who know what they are doing, but they don't have to be the chip leader to be on my radar. :D

I pretty much agree with everything said here. Like Phoenix said, you have to be careful not to get too hyper-focused on the chip leader at the table as it takes away from observing what your opponents are doing because they are likely in the same position you are in (trying to accumulate chips). So if one of other players at the table is committing chips, it's good to see how the chip leader will react.

Also, you can see how that other opponent is reacting as well if the chip leader pushes back. There's SO much information to be gained from everybody because until you have all the chips, your objective is not complete. It might be an uncomfortable thing to do if that's not your regular game, but sometimes you have to do that if you want to win tournaments.

If it's a bubble situation, it's much more difficult to do very much if you are trying to make it into the money - a good player is going to apply pressure, because they're going to pick up so much dead money. Sure, sometimes they will get caught, but they will be undeterred in many situations.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait it out, then pounce..

When at table with chip leader, hell bent to eliminate everybody, it's best , to be patient; wait the chip leader out, don't play his unfair game.

When you get a solid pocket pair, suited, etc., make your move.
If the guy is bullying, uncalled, eliminating others, turn it around, make the call, surprise the leader, maybe you can eliminate the bully chip leader We have all seen this scenario.
Even if you don't make any money, at least you got entertainment value of making the chip leader work hard for the chips.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No because they’re human too and can make mistakes and lose their stack.

T

Taliban

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

Depends on the situation and how they are playing. Also depends very much on the hand I have and how it has been going for me up to that point.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just have to continue playing your game. Sometimes it can be a advantage because the chip leader may take more chances because they know they have more chips. They may use their big chip stack to bluff more often.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In some ways the chip leader has an advantage because it will make looser calls thus bluffing is harder. However if you have a good hand you can try to double up thru the chip leader.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: I have always had to fight against leading chips, in reality I am not afraid of being eliminated, on the contrary I know that the leading chip can have any hand, even weak hands with minimum range and pays my bets in order to eliminate me, and there is where there is to play smart.

Pammypoo

Pammypoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to be at a table with chip leader. I always like to be behind him..But the button will do when Im not. But yes I want someone at the table with chips for me to take!!! :p:D:cool::rolleyes:

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but I can't be afraid of myself.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the stakes involved, whether it’s around the bubble and by how much of a chip lead they actually have I may be hesitant to play in hands with them.

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am scared when I am the chip leader. i need to improve in that department I raise every hand and tend to lose it all way before when I had a chance to be in the winnings

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You Did it Right

i believe that you played it right. You knew the chip leader was playing a wide range of hands, lose and aggressive, you had a good chance to double up. I think it was the right call. But no one knows how to play pocket jacks.

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid, but I'm more careful

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
careful, but not afraid. i play less loose hands vs big stack.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, but I change the style of play. I take less risk and wait for a good card

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More afraid of the small stack, they are more liable to go all in with nothing and crack your AA.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How big is his stack and what type of a player : Everything is relative