Are You Afraid Of Chip Leader?

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes be afraid! if you see a large stack raising a lot and winning it can be hard to play back at them when momentum is on their side. Use position and have a good holding when you do play back at them and pray to the poker gods!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is advisable not to play against a player in the middle of the rush that touches all his hands. I am not particularly afraid of cheaps leaders but when he surelance me and I dicide to pay. It is knowing that in the best cases. I'm going to have to play a flip. A lot of other factors come into play, including the number of players who have to be eliminated to reach the places to pay or the level of play and reputation your opponent enjoys.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in a position close to the leader, and you detect weaknesses, I suppose you can call until the end, but if you are trying to try your luck, he will probably leave you out of the tournament. In that sense, yes, I'm afraid

P

pendzlik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip leader is always aggressive. This means that he has a wide range, therefore, we must play at the top of our range. JJ - a great hand. Bad luck.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Chip leader will usally bluff more often than any other player at the
table because he will not go broke if he losses. Some time he is the
perfect player to double up on.

john harris

john harris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I am looking to double up, it is the chip leaders that have enough to double me up so I am not afraid of them, I just hope when I make my play that I come out the winner.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the chip leader, if you choose your spot right, he can scare away other players so you can more than double up.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Chip leaders dont scare me none at all.
I will play my hand as its supposed to be played, no matter what.
If I have JJ and I have some BB left might as well push all in.
If you win well and good, but if your busted even with 72 thats the players luck.
Go on and play another game and another, bcoz you win some you lose some...
Good luck all

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am afraid of chip leader if chip leader is a player with a lack of poker knowledge :)

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not afraid , But I will respect his stack. If I notice the CL is a very loose chip leader then I know I can definitely get a double up or just accumulate chips off of them. if its a tight CL then obviously it will be harder to rake chips because they will be calling a lot less , and more than likely only their SB and BB. Usually though a lot of CL tend to try and bully the smaller stacks so that's when I will always make my move

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.

No, you can't be afraid of the chip leader. You just need to be more cautious if he/she is to your left. You have to be more selective with which hands you play and expect to be raised at a higher frequency. Given his stack size and recent success with eliminating so many players, I think you made a very good decision going all-in with your JJ. You had to put him no a fairly wide range. You just got unlucky. It seems his lucky streak continued. That's how a lot of people win tournaments. Sometimes it comes down to who is running the hottest over a period of time.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me try to explain the Chip Leaders logic.

He’s probably thinking that his preflop odds with ANY random hand place him as a victor at showdown around 25-30% of the time. If he’s limiting his pre-flop donkey shoves to just the top 75% of hands his win % climbs to around 33-38%. That means if he pre-flop shoves 3 out of every 4 hands he’s expected to win 1 in 3 IF HE GETS A CALLER.

At later stages of the tournament, when play has tightened up, he probably won’t get a caller every hand, so he’s wining those hands outright, no show down. That means he now expects to win the blinds (and limps) a lot. Maybe more than half the time.

He can use the blind wins to mitigate the times he loses at showdown, bust a few players, and look like a maniac.

It’s not a terrible idea if everyone at the table has really small stacks. But as soon as you run into a couple of mid-size stacks and double one or two of them, the plan falls apart. Now you can’t steal more blinds than a potential loss against them will cover and you’re playing with fire.

I don’t recommend the strategy, but I think that’s the thought process behind it.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not fear, but respect. I would play against him only with very strong hands, I'm more afraid of players who do not respect the game and play very aggressively almost every hand and sometimes the luck is with them and this can fail your game

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the chip leader knows how to play well he will always put pressure on the minors. But I'm not afraid, knowing I'm doing the right thing.
The thing is to hope that luck is with you (which is no use in pokerstars haha).

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May not be ideal to bluff the chip leader because depending on your stack, he may call with any marginal hand. Inversely, strong hands are great for trapping and pre-flop, a high pair may require a higher bet.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love to say yes but for me being chip leader just ant my luck. It seems every time I am the chip leader I cant keep it, my pocket As get took down and it seems to happen so much:0) good luck out there and keep grinding

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally i think theres a flaw in algorithm in witch players sometimes experience extremely hot n cold spells in witch almost every hand will either win or loose depending on witch end of spectrum u currently reside to anyone or any hand u go against. If some one is experienced with this and poker. they can have a field day. but it stops abruptly and people have hard time accepting this n keep betting and end up loosing it all unless they are already a good player. just an uneducated opinion have no proof of any sort. but i do take this into consideration when i experience one of these or go up against someone in the middle of a streak. i could be completely off base but i personally dont believe im too far off. but u can use theyre assurance against them but need patience and the true nut after flop. might cost few bucks to see flops n fold till nut but when u get it theyll follow u all in evey time. they do loose still every few hands. :2in1:

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The chip leader is how you get chips :)

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not afraid, I like someone to hold my chips for me til I am ready to take them. But I am aware that they can play any cards and put me out at any time.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, I will stay away from the chip leader. When a player is running that good, I don't play against him.

R

RollsRoyce99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Afraid of chip leader

I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.

Yeah, if the chip leader is playing smart poker, I'm scared to death of them and try my best to steer clear of them lol
:heeeellll

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I am not afraid on the contrary it is they that I try to attack because if I attack who has few chips I will get few chips, have faith and play against them without fear.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having played mainly microstakes/ freeroll, i have yet to see a chip leader that was actually good at the game. I am aware of who the table chip leader is but it's usually a passing indifference.

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heLL Nawww

i love versing the bigger stacks because they can sometimes be very loose and try to bully you more.

and also when you compare that to the shorter stacks you will notice that a shorter stack is more likely to play mainly premium hands.

unless ofcourse youre a complete donkey like i am and will play full range nomatter wht the case because you just never know when you are in the middle stacks that you will flop a complete monster even though you have absolute sh cards lolol

and then someone who has pocket aces etc will not believe that you have better then them and will more often then not bet right into you and not even be afraid on the river when you reraise them ALL IN.

but thats just my donkey opinion

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No fear

Have no fear of the opponent, and always play with money that you can assume is lost. The chip leader just has that many more chips to donate to you!