Are You Afraid Of Chip Leader?

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I'm a bit scared because chip leaders are often quite aggressive and you never know if it's bluff or value, but they're also a great opportunity to fold when you're short

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
chip leaders will tend to play wider than normal, and if you are near the bubble they will be extra wide. I try to pick spots to take some chips off the chip leader during these times.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all a little fishy with online poker. One thing you'll notice is that no matter the player, the system always favors the bigger stack OR if it's 3-4 players all in then the worst hand wins. Pay attention and you will see.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When it's your day, you're gonna win. Somedays you're the chipleader, other days you get devoured by them.

Remember. Anything can happen when you're all in.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can be afraid of the chip leader. You might get busted, sure, but you might double off them all the same! They are such a great source of chips because they often loosen up a little after making it to chip leader.

Dora

Dora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid to play against chip leaders. On the contrary, you can pull the chips in their favor.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, sometimes I'm afraid of the chip leader when I have few chips in the game and he constantly raises the stake, but when I have a lot of chips I'm not afraid of the chip leader and at some moments I call his bet and sometimes I win from him!

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.

I also noticed this trend, do not play the pot with a chip leader with medium and junk hands, you need monsters or hands of the first category and a good position at the table. Only in this case it is worth entering the bank with the chip leader of the table. It is worth playing more tightly, especially in the later stages of the tournament, as in your case!:rolleyes:

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to take advantage of chipleaders by playing back at them. Generally they open very wide (e.g. Seen UTG 3x open with 73s go to showdown today) and call shoves lighter than normal.

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a winner's attitude, even if I lose, I will feel like a winner ... because this is an experience for me, from this experience I can learn many useful things!

I'm not afraid of Chip Leaders :)

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always happened because poker room programm help chipleaders , and experienced players know it ,I play very carefully against them and try to avoid make all in against chipleader

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I noticed that when I'm afraid of something, it leads to a loss. For example, I do not benefit from an ace on the river, it almost always falls)))

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
The saying that bold cities conquer is probably also applicable to poker. But all the same, we need to be smart, not with 2/7 go to the barricades)))

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of chip leaders.. I'm just careful around them. If they've got a huge chip advantage it really negates a lot of bluffing into them. They can better afford to call. I've watched them call 'bluffs' only to be bitten.. But if they have the stack to call.. for every time they are bitten they eliminate 2X as many way shorter stacks..

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we fear the chip leader, so that we become the chip leader?:rolleyes:

truete11er

truete11er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid of chip leader. Just always try to become Chip leader as fast as possible.
:cool:

PelyaMX

PelyaMX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing hot 600 gtd 55c buy in and late registration was almost finishing when suddenly I was removed from one table to another in which was the chip leader.The chip leader was eliminating lots of players and even a pocket aces had no power against his cards.When suddenly came for me pocket jacks:I raised 4x bb and he re raised to 12x bb putting an interrogation point in my head.I didn't know what to do ,I was thinking hard to try to know what he could have,maybe AA or KK QQ but I was sure he hadn't a pair yet so I decided to go all in and the chip leader responded with instant call with a surprising 77.But for my sadness one 7 hit the flop and I was eliminated.So I decided not to fight against chip leaders anymore.

Personaly Me I don't like to go all-in vs chipleader ... coz very often he'll be lucky on "coin Flip" !

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not afraid of the chip leader. Due to the chip leader is possible to double the stack. The main thing here is not to be afraid to play correctly.

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the irrefutable facts of poker is this: "When you're hot you're hot and when you're not you're not." Or in other words, "Pedal to the metal when you are rushing and foot on the brakes when you are running cold." Or in other words, "No one runs hot all the time or cold all the time." How do you think the chip leader go to be chip leader? Because he running cold or because he is running hot? What's your best guess? I know what mine is. So if you walk on to a table with the chip leader it would be best to not tangle with him until you know where he is in his streak, especially with JJ. What is the old saying with JJ? "There are 4 ways to play JJ................and they are all wrong!" What is the old saying with AA? "Usually AA wins a small pot and loses a big pot." Perhaps your JJ would have started chip leaders reversal from hot to cold. But it was painfully obvious in you case that it was not the case. That's what makes poker such a great game. All these "general rules" are only "general rules". The best poker players have the uncanny ability to know when to step on the gas or tap on the brakes. I hope that someday I will be blessed with that uncanny ability.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously it's recomended to be carefully with chipleader play because as it look it's his big day.
However it's chance to double own stake.

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what I'm going to do. If we are talking about bluffing, then yes, I'm afraid.
But if I have a good hand, then it's a great opportunity to double up my stack.

PelyaMX

PelyaMX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously it's recomended to be carefully with chipleader play because as it look it's his big day.
However it's chance to double own stake.

Yeah that's what I mean in my post above... You can easily beat chip leader with good poket pair for Example & double your stack... but be carefull coz maybe It's - "His Big Day" !=)

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ in that spot is a great opportunity to double up there. Try and take solace in the fact you played the hand as well as you could have.:)

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has DEFINITELY been my experience at pokerstars that the big stacks will win an absurd number of all-in situations regardless of the odds, and like the original post said, AA can't beat him and the villain hitting the triple with a lower pair or sucking out somehow is far too common. That creates a big lack of trust in online poker and the reason why I could never deposit money. It's annoying to see it happen again and again, but when no investment has been made, it's a lot easier to take.