Are You Afraid of Bad Beats?

cubons

cubons

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I`m okey with bad beats, when I play lower stakes, but I actually do get scared when I play high stakes :) You can`t always win - that`s poker.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been on a really bad run where day after day I lose all ins even though I am ahead. The only all in over the past month where I was behind when the coins went in was when I had a flush dr and gutshot draw vs top pair and lost.

I tend to get timid and think every scary card means villain hit his gutshot 4 outer since it's happened so many times lately. Just gotta overcome that that irrational feeling.

Of course just because the fear is irrational does not mean that the unlikely isn't happening all the time.

Sometimes you just gotta set a rule that you will suffer no more than 2 BS losses per day. I follow that rule so I haven't truly tilted yet despite being screwed over so many times lately.

M

Marinus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only dissapointed when I loose with a AA, KK.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
If you play like this you should not play. Must always be willing to loose everything you got on the table at any time.
27332059_1701390046590163_5516614999855268024_n.jpg

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't agree with you. Do you said "Poker is math and analysis of people, nothing more". It's wrong. Poker is a game with math, skill, analysis, high stakes and luck. In other words, don't exist program/algorithm win every hand, every time. Don't ignore the luck. GL!

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After I lost the pocket hand before the final table AA against K Q because of the two pairs I try not to play with A. But if this is the beginning of the tournament then I can play an important stage better to look for the possibility of bluffing either play with a ready-made hand like a straight or full house, square, set, flash, if the opponent does not have the opportunity to move something else. In other cases I'm pushing all-in in the final stages of the tournament. But it happens that the brains are working badly recently in the final table went all-in with A 10 and lost again K Q. But it was already a one-on-one game, I got the second place and was very pleased with the result.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My tactics is sometimes slow play them. But if you chose slow playing them you should be aware that if the board is bad for your kings or aces you would need to let them go.All in is not good except when someone 3 bets and then you should considet all in, it all depends on the players around you.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not afraid, I just try to analyze where I went wrong, if I could have played differently, and do differently next time.

Man, do not analyze correctly except that. You have to be psychic to make sure the villain has AA while you have KK.
So if you drop KK pre flop, even unconscious, you're afraid of the bad beat.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've been on a really bad run where day after day I lose all ins even though I am ahead. The only all in over the past month where I was behind when the coins went in was when I had a flush dr and gutshot draw vs top pair and lost.

I tend to get timid and think every scary card means villain hit his gutshot 4 outer since it's happened so many times lately. Just gotta overcome that that irrational feeling.

Of course just because the fear is irrational does not mean that the unlikely isn't happening all the time.

Sometimes you just gotta set a rule that you will suffer no more than 2 BS losses per day. I follow that rule so I haven't truly tilted yet despite being screwed over so many times lately.

It is a serious psychological illness that you are experiencing. Surely this is harming you in making right decisions, leading you to lose.
If I were in this situation I would solve this first, I would seek help to avoid losing money.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't agree with you. Do you said "Poker is math and analysis of people, nothing more". It's wrong. Poker is a game with math, skill, analysis, high stakes and luck. In other words, don't exist program/algorithm win every hand, every time. Don't ignore the luck. GL!

Luck influences the short term friend. If you analyze math and people, it will be profitable in the long run. Luck is just variance.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
After I lost the pocket hand before the final table AA against K Q because of the two pairs I try not to play with A. But if this is the beginning of the tournament then I can play an important stage better to look for the possibility of bluffing either play with a ready-made hand like a straight or full house, square, set, flash, if the opponent does not have the opportunity to move something else. In other cases I'm pushing all-in in the final stages of the tournament. But it happens that the brains are working badly recently in the final table went all-in with A 10 and lost again K Q. But it was already a one-on-one game, I got the second place and was very pleased with the result.

AA vs. KQ mathematically speaking is 86% versus 14%. That is, if we hit those hands 100 times you will lose 14. So you have to understand that you never win the hand when you have AA or KK. There is always risk.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My tactics is sometimes slow play them. But if you chose slow playing them you should be aware that if the board is bad for your kings or aces you would need to let them go.All in is not good except when someone 3 bets and then you should considet all in, it all depends on the players around you.

We are analyzing Preflop, AA and KK you should never drop, math is at your side.

Posflop I agree, have to analyze several other things. Fold is considerable.

purple714

purple714

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To many donks online to be afraid of a bad beat, you would not be able to play at all if you were. Grinding is the key...

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold? Regardless of Nr. of opponents... ???

I think some people overestimate the strength of high pairs here..
Look at the pic below... You are actually an underdog with AA...
OK, it's almost a coinflip... but why risk your tournament on the bubble
in such a situation? So if was last to act in that scenario I would probably
at least think about folding them...

AA_Odds.jpg

Also depends on stack size and where we are in the tournament. If we are
on the bubble then I would rather take the sure min cash and hope that I will
get some more good cards later on...

In a cash game things are a bit different, but such close hands should be avoided
there too in my opinion. Although a coinflip is a break even play in the long run
this does not take into consideration that You have to pay rake... So in the long run
playing break even plays means You will lose 3% - 5% because You do not only have
to recover your bets but also the rake!

I prefer to keep myself out of such close hands if possible.

H

hclause13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always afraid of the big bad beat

I'm always worried that the bad beat is going to come. That doesn't mean I change my poker play because of it. I would almost never drop AA or KK. I'll also go in with A/High Card suited. But if betting gets utterly ridiculous pre-flop, I'm out.

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not afraid and not wide AA and hardly a KK preflop, I'm already so accustomed to bad beat that I do not even care when I take one, just shake my head.

ChrisDavidson

ChrisDavidson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an addictive game! I'm captured by poker so that you can lose with AA and KK. Your strategy, ability to play and mood is the decisive factor!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Never fold? Regardless of Nr. of opponents... ???

I think some people overestimate the strength of high pairs here..
Look at the pic below... You are actually an underdog with AA...
OK, it's almost a coinflip... but why risk your tournament on the bubble
in such a situation? So if was last to act in that scenario I would probably
at least think about folding them...

AA_Odds.jpg

Also depends on stack size and where we are in the tournament. If we are
on the bubble then I would rather take the sure min cash and hope that I will
get some more good cards later on...

In a cash game things are a bit different, but such close hands should be avoided
there too in my opinion. Although a coinflip is a break even play in the long run
this does not take into consideration that You have to pay rake... So in the long run
playing break even plays means You will lose 3% - 5% because You do not only have
to recover your bets but also the rake!

I prefer to keep myself out of such close hands if possible.

This situation is almost impossible to happen friend, hardly anyone would go all in the bubble.
From the beginning I informed you that I am seeing several reports where people throw AA pre flop with fear. For you to see a possible situation, just delete 78s or any other hand. Your odds already go up to 70% even with an all in between 4 people. If you change the 78s to 78o your odds will be approximately 52%. So even 22+ in place of the 78s. Your odds range to 55%.
I'm sorry, look for extremely rare situations to justify a fold of hands like AA or KK pre flop I can never agree.
But I respect your opinion.

Andrei Nesterenko1

Andrei Nesterenko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with you, but among my friends there is no person who will throw AA or KK

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm not afraid. I just keep patiently playing.

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never scared
I play al and with a much worse card from AA or KK

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA and KK

I'm not afraid not with AA or KK I go into the hand betting 3 times the value of the big blind these hands are rare can not be wasted I do not bet everything because if nobody pays I would be throwing in the trash better cards. Of course if someone bet everything I paid, I'm playing right yes or no?

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not afraid not with AA or KK I go into the hand betting 3 times the value of the big blind these hands are rare can not be wasted I do not bet everything because if nobody pays I would be throwing in the trash better cards. Of course if someone bet everything I paid, I'm playing right yes or no?

As I see this correct, you should apply 3bet pre or open raise 3x or keep your betting pattern to not pass tells.
If someone raises before you, apply 3bet and if they come back it is 5bet all in without thinking.
In relation to the post flop you have to analyze the hand. Fold here is possible. But never preflop.

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see that there are still many beginning players are afraid to pay an all in with KK or AA for being afraid of losing with these hands.
This should never happen, regardless of how many players are all in.
Math is on your side, and for you who are starting now and still do not know, Poker is math and analysis of people, nothing more.

Remember, even in FT, bubble or the first leg of a high roller tournament, you never drop AA or KK. If you have any doubts, watch the recent hand between Tom Dwan, Antonio Esfandiari and Daniel Negreanu. It perfectly illustrates what must be done.
where can we see this hand btw dwan & negraenu etc? link would be much appreciated