Are you a Recreational or Pro Player?

As a CardChat Member, you are playing poker as a?

• Recreational Player, so what :)

Votes: 299 72.9%
  • Semi-Pro Player

Votes: 48 11.7%
  • Full-Time Pro Player

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Transitioning Player - Semi-Pro

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Transitioning Player - Full-Time Pro

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters
AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play tournaments a couple of hours at the poker stars:jd4::cool:, and live cash games in Serbia :)

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im a holdem freak lol

but yeah i stay up for hours as i enjoy the game (mostly)
although at times i get really fed up with bad beats online
but i have accepted that i shouldnt get to upset with being donked
as i myself did it to others and alot infact i wish i could have caught some of them on video
because sometimes i was impressed lolol

for instance i bought into a 1+10 tourny and my first hand was 10 6 siuted
and the blind was 20% of my starting chips so i thought what the hell and pushed then was called by UTG+2 and the SB only to tripple up and then went on to win the tournament even though there was still 2 hours of late registration remanining lolol

just goes to show 1 risk can sometimes be worth it

but the answer to the real question is im a professional donkey player lolol

one guy called himself hyper-donk and i told him im donkier than you and went all in with 94 off and beat him with 3 pair lolol

ps sorry i laugh so much but just i can sometimes find the funnyest side of things

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
recreation all the way.. i love the game though

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not quite sure where I stand - I don't pay bills or go on holidays using my poker money, but I do use it to buy meals or go for nights out. I'd say that makes me semi-pro, because pretty much anything non-essential is paid for using poker.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a recreational player :):):)

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmm Poll Results so far Show alot of Players that Play for recreation Rather than for status...

This Poll Reminds me of a physiological finding that highlights "intelligence" and those who think they aren't all that intelligent are often more intelligent than those who think they are...

Often the more a person knows the less they feel they know and when a person knows very little they think they know alot...

In my Mind The Only Difference between Recreational Poker and Pro Poker is how much you're earning or how much you've just spent on your buy in, am I wrong? Probably but think about it...

The Difference is only in the mind of the player and their intentions... Who's going to give up their day time job to pursue it...? That's Probably what make's the real difference between Players for fun or for profit...

I'm for Fun all the way... When I start Making a good Profit then I'll be a Pro there is no in between or every one would be semi pro... just like every dog has its day...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In my Mind The Only Difference between Recreational Poker and Pro Poker is how much you're earning or how much you've just spent on your buy in, am I wrong? Probably but think about it...

The Difference is only in the mind of the player and their intentions... Who's going to give up their day time job to pursue it...? That's Probably what make's the real difference between Players for fun or for profit...
Hmm... I disagree.
I think it has a little more to do with >>> how competent of a player you are combined with whether or not you're earning a living at it.
I don't think it has much at all to do with how much I've spent on my buyin... I've seen countless numbers of solid micro & low stakes regs. grinding out a living while living in Countries where you can get by on far less than say in North America or Western Europe. Guys playing large volume $3 to $7 MTT SNG's, 'professionally'.

As far as 'semi-pro' goes... what does that even mean in the context of a poker player? Is this a recreational player who is making a profit in the long run while having another source of income they rely on for their living expenses? Or is it a poker player who plays full-time but is basically break-even player and has to work a part-time job at McDonalds so that they can pay the rent?

I'd like to consider myself a professional amongst freerollers... but a fish vs. professionals. I've played online for over 10yrs. and used to profit $1,000/mth.+ while only playing part-time micro/low stakes (mostly private games) while working at a part-time job that paid all of my living expenses. So basically... any poker playing was done in my leisure hours and was all 'freerolling' for the win. These days (online) I'm on track to make $1,000/year :( but play more in live cashgames than anything else. I still really enjoy online play though... but I'd never cut it as a professional. I don't think I could get good enough at the game to have a decent enough edge over others to make a living at it. Now if they were to ever bring back the U.S.A. players to the mix.... could be a different story :idea:

G

Goonsquad1217

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't stop getting oit drawed on the river too even mover up.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like poker and play per recreation. I study and watch videos to improve but without pretension to become professional.

R

rwade626

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say I was a formerly a semi-pro who left the game for several years because of family obligations.

In the last year I've started coming back to the game, and am currently making a decent amount of money at it, but not enough to live on. Maybe someday soon I'll get there.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm... I disagree.
I think it has a little more to do with >>> how competent of a player you are combined with whether or not you're earning a living at it.
I don't think it has much at all to do with how much I've spent on my buyin... I've seen countless numbers of solid micro & low stakes regs. grinding out a living while living in Countries where you can get by on far less than say in North America or Western Europe. Guys playing large volume $3 to $7 MTT SNG's, 'professionally'.

As far as 'semi-pro' goes... what does that even mean in the context of a poker player? Is this a recreational player who is making a profit in the long run while having another source of income they rely on for their living expenses? Or is it a poker player who plays full-time but is basically break-even player and has to work a part-time job at McDonalds so that they can pay the rent?

I'd like to consider myself a professional amongst freerollers... but a fish vs. professionals. I've played online for over 10yrs. and used to profit $1,000/mth.+ while only playing part-time micro/low stakes (mostly private games) while working at a part-time job that paid all of my living expenses. So basically... any poker playing was done in my leisure hours and was all 'freerolling' for the win. These days (online) I'm on track to make $1,000/year :( but play more in live cashgames than anything else. I still really enjoy online play though... but I'd never cut it as a professional. I don't think I could get good enough at the game to have a decent enough edge over others to make a living at it. Now if they were to ever bring back the U.S.A. players to the mix.... could be a different story :idea:

I view simi-pro as someone who is "making a profit in the long run while having another source of income they rely on for their living expenses - Poker Orifice". To add to that, I would say that they are trying to make poker their main source of income to be a full-time pro. I guess "making a profit" since many "pros" aren't profitable in the long run of the game. The economics behind poker is interesting.

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for the USA coming back, we are waiting. There are so many beast and sheep players who play live not online that would really help the game. As long as the online games keep taking reputation hits, players will stray. Everone wants a fair shot and to play legally.

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play recreationally. I am no pro but im no slouch either. I study, play, study hands, and play. Keep getting better and learn the variance of online.

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am super recreational so far, as I have net lost money. I would like to get good enough one day to make a decent amount of money from poker though, not to actually make the money, but to feel accomplished in that I was able to get that good at something

I 2nd that!!! I am recreational at the moment, but want to be good enough to gain some of losses back.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't expect to ever make it to a professional career - the game is just too risky for me to take such a step (also I doubt I have the skill level and patience capacity)
Best of luck to all transitioning players!

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a rec player who likes to believe I play like pro, I'm a legend in my own mind:flute:

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
interesting survey, I think it was necessary to add the item "a hobby that can become a job"

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in a stage of which I consider myself a good player but not semi professional. I hope that in the rest of the year and the next one I can become a semi professional poker player and then seek to be a pro

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a recreational player but always trying to get better so I can maybe make a little money off of what is just a hobby for me.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm struggling enough to make me a professional player most know it will not be easy poker and very difficult.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pro for ten years now :)

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm rec player, I aint trying to get rich, I just wanna play poker and have good results, also if anybody needs...I can be of some help

GustavoMaruno

GustavoMaruno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recreational player, because it takes a long time to master the game. I wish to make a income from poker but i still need to plan and study more.:D

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rec player. Never anything more

Not sure why a “pro” would reply to this thread. Not a real professional. Not someone who actually makes real bank.

“I made $14 playing .01/.02 three weeks ago” doesn’t make you a poker pro.

I’m in a few other forums. I see a loooooot if people calling themselves “pros”. Saying how well they do $$$$$$$. And they’re the first to gripe about losing dollar sattelite tix they’ve been sitting on for six months, then complain about “I have a job. I can’t be online (this day) or (that day)”

Can’t be both. It’s similar to threads I see here about running up bankrolls from 0 to whatever number by freerolls alone. Just isn’t realistic.