Are you a Recreational or Pro Player?

As a CardChat Member, you are playing poker as a?

• Recreational Player, so what :)

Votes: 299 72.9%
  • Semi-Pro Player

Votes: 48 11.7%
  • Full-Time Pro Player

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Transitioning Player - Semi-Pro

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Transitioning Player - Full-Time Pro

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters
J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unknown

I was a profitable live recreational player for 15 years. Now I'm struggling at the online tables. A different beast for sure. I will keep at it till I get it that's for sure. But recreational player is all I aspire to be. Let's play poker

A

Aces74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a hobby for me I just enjoy playing and even studying poker. Overall I'm just grinding away at the micros trying to get out of the hole which I dug because of poor bankroll management.
I have see some super shady play @ ignition.
So when your provoked to go all in by no pair no draw and make correct call guess what runner runner you lose.Also confirmed by support they have access to see all hole cards of all players.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play for charitable reasons. There are lots of rising. but poor, young stars in the poker world. It is my sworn duty to fund as many as possible.

Remember me when you make it big.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing from an area in Romania that doesn't have many places for live play, but every chance i get, i always make a quick buck. Online, it's a different monster entirely. I've been trying for years, made something this year, then PS ate it all back in the months after. Online profit is very low... maybe a few thousand $ over the years, which didn't make much difference. But i'm planning to invest over the next months, maybe things will change. Definitely planning on making at least a partial living out of poker.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing recreational is not stressful. You do not have to worry about winning to pay your bills :D

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice poll, but only one question: It asks "as a CC member", so what you're questioning is how do we play after being a member, or as long as we remember playing poker?

I didn't mean for the "CC" part to limit the timeline around anyone's poker goals. So feel free to answer how you see fit. I have seen answers that are from this point in time, and I have seen some that they played pro for 10 years, and now they are playing for fun.

My intent was to understand if CC members are here to learn, grow, and become a pro poker player, or if most of us are here for a community that just enjoys talking about the game and random happenings.

I'm very grateful for all of the honest responses, and it has helped to give me a new perspective on poker. I hope to see many more members posting their stories here. Thanks again CC members! This is a great community.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recreational player and I don't think it will ever change.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recreational...

I don’t have the bankroll and the discipline to play poker as a pro.

I just try my best before I tilt 😂

Lately I build myself a micro bankroll from freerolls and have been slightly profitable playing Omaha Hi Lo Tournaments so I am currently mostly playing these and not Holdem.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just a hobby for me, and it's one of the few hobbies where you can actually make money from. You can't beat poker for meeting new people and interacting online with all kinds of different cultures.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play it for a hobby but would like it to turn into something more. Poker is a great escape from everyday events. Poker is a great way to spend all the extra time I have when I'm not working.

JAE1957

JAE1957

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simpleton...

I am a recreational player.... I am still trying to figure out the different games

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Poll

Very good poll, it tells a lot about who CC members are. I am just a recreational player who dreams about being at the final table of the wsop with all the pros. And I win! I am just dreaming. I am retired and poker is like a hobby.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good poll, it tells a lot about who CC members are. I am just a recreational player who dreams about being at the final table of the WSOP with all the pros. And I win! I am just dreaming. I am retired and poker is like a hobby.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with the poll so far. I'm a rec player with a dream as well, and I'm glad to see a great community that can support that. CC has also added a lot of great pros like Ryan Laplante, Jeff Gross, and I even saw an AMA from the legend Phil Galfond. This site continues to amaze me!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider myself a recreational player, but the desire to become the best will not hurt.

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Transitioning to semi-pro player. Started to bankroll, won an entry to that tournament "Trip to Vegas" on PS and several entries on 888 this week.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saving up to have proper Bankroll without grinding the Micros and a move so I can play on Stars. 888 and Party

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Technically I see myself as a recreational player, but I do intend on becoming semi-pro.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I don’t think it’s good to make poker a profession. It is better to relax with poker, then there will be less problems.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Transitioning to semi-pro player. Started to bankroll, won an entry to that tournament "Trip to Vegas" on PS and several entries on 888 this week.
Nice! Is that for the WSOP Main, or for a $1K event?

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play like pros but I am a recreational Fish where's my prize for voting???:star:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recreational, no pressure..

I find it hard to have fun playing poker when I am worried about the money involved.

Live game, low stakes with friends is a good way to play. It's all for kicks, a good time, a good beer, a good laugh. It's joking with your friends, "what, you didn't see that open-ended straight? You deserved to lose.."

It's nice to have the right balance between live, for fun, social poker, and "grind it out take no prisoners, I'm gonna make some money poker. "

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i chose transitioning to semi pro because i lack the self discipline required to make constant revenue.had my first couple of cashouts for the year a couple of weeks ago so im stoked with that.if i could have evry ticket or itm ive blown foolishly,playing a hand when it was totally un-needed omg i tell you. from where im at today,mindset and self discipline are really all thats stopping me making a living off it.i can keep it together for a couple or three days,but when things go wrong my mindset changes and i feel its a waste of energy trying to keep it up.if i really wanted it bad enough i guess i would study more,but that takes all the fun out of it...see my problem hehe.self discipline is totally my biggest flaw i feel.

N

new_player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recreational player for now but I would love to be a pro player one day :D