Yes, poker IS a sport.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look up sport, its been a while but I think it says any show of skill in the form of competition is sport, so I would say poker has some skill and competition, right?

If this is what you think, maybe you should take your own advice and look up the definition. Yes, it is obvious it has been a while.

B

brrrddz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i consider poker as a mind sport...game of skill for sure.
A sport is that activity that requires physical ability and dexterity and where you compete against others. Although poker does cover the part in where you have to compete against other people, it is no where near the main purpose of a sport.

bizarez

bizarez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker - is a sport akin to chess, competition of mind , endurance, tactics and strategy.

pretorijan

pretorijan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offcourse its a sport,you wait for hours a good spot,good hand,and then sudenly some russian or brasilian fella moves all in with 37 off,and you holding AA on bb.you take a minute to thing,and say well i have the best hand for all in situations,i got everything i need,im shooting penalty here.and you call!!!
wow!!sure chips for me,cards coming out,and what a surprise flop came out KQJ,WOW,its mine!!then turn came out 3,hmmmmm,still plenty of hope that im better of him!!!!RIVER the most important thing in poker(IM mean SPORT),77777777777777777777777!!!!????????????SPORT???HHEEEELLLL NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a game, a very serious game, but a game none the less.

christiancjs

christiancjs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course

Yes, the poker is a sport, but, akkari not is a "big" players. I dont like your game profile.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the enthusiasm but again poker is a game not a sport.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think poker is sport and I have arguments.....

R

rubYtrApp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
n0 d0uBt

I think the type of people who think Poker is a sport are also the same people that would benefit from the physical activity of a REAL sport.

Makes sense that people who dont take part in sport would not really understand what sport actually means.

I concur, however, there is a somewhat broader line between sport and activity though than what many people probably think. Chess 4 example... If you can call bowling or golf "sports", why not chess? My own viewpoint on chess is that if falls just around a little over the middle of that line that disects sport from hobby/activity (towards the "sporting" side) :jd4:

R

rubYtrApp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
n0 d0uBt

I think the type of people who think Poker is a sport are also the same people that would benefit from the physical activity of a REAL sport.

Makes sense that people who dont take part in sport would not really understand what sport actually means.

I concur, however, there is a somewhat broader line between sport and activity though than what many people probably think. Chess 4 example... If you can call bowling or golf "sports", why not chess? My own viewpoint on chess is that it falls just around a little over the middle of that line that disects sport from hobby/activity (towards the "sporting" side) :jd4:

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I concur, however, there is a somewhat broader line between sport and activity though than what many people probably think. Chess 4 example... If you can call bowling or golf "sports", why not chess? My own viewpoint on chess is that if falls just around a little over the middle of that line that disects sport from hobby/activity (towards the "sporting" side) :jd4:

Chess is possible to play even if you cannot move your body. Golf and bowling? uhhhhhh.

maikl2602KML

maikl2602KML

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game.and consider the sport or not the choice of everyone.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest liars in addition to the politicians at the sportolók.Cáfoljatok if we do not hunt us igazam.A "gentleman's" sport is called fishing is a "nouveau riche" in truly sportjának.A sport fishing competition where the athletes nézzük.A poker is spiritual sportolók.Ki not recognize a hunter AKI so big, they shot him, fishing - so big, then you will, poker player who has such a plate fell off, or such an event in the first two részt.Persze can (do) to ask the photographic proof today's advanced world, but who is able to explain the maniacal ran or fell hazudozók.Pókerben the situation is different because there are the utility software, which can be returned to various pages tournaments, poker hands, the results can be nézni.Vagy a certificate to show that this live tournament started in illető.A bluffing the biggest liars across the rocks földön.A truthful shepherds.

N

nafanyalg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't call poker a sport ! Poker is more like chess, you need a very good concentration and the ability to read opponents.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker requires skill, focus, endurance (especially in the large tournaments which take several days of 10 hour sessions to complete) and a competitive nature. It is a highly specialized game of skill, with luck a major factor in the short term. Is it sport, I cannot say. It fits some of the common criteria with the mainstream sports, but not all. One can argue that NASCAR or Formula 1 racing is not sport, because the car is the main "athlete", not the driver. The driver needs skill, endurance, focus and nerve, but having all that, you can still lose with an inferior motor. Same with Poker. You can have all the skill in the world, and still lose to a newby. Why? Luck. The evidence is in the fact that some players recognized as the best poker players in the world often get knocked out early in tournaments. For years, Phil Ivey was recognized as the best player in the world, but he has not yet won the wsop Main Event...however, there have been several unknown players (unknown prior to their winning) who have won this most prestigious tournament.

Jancianna

Jancianna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say if video games are allowed to be an e-SPORT, then poker should be considered a sport too.

MsNutHand

MsNutHand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in brazil there was an old discussion if Poker was a Sport or not and about 2 years ago Poker was considered a mind sport like chess and it was included in the same Brazilian Confederation of Mind Sports and fortunately obtained this nice status!

G

GummiStarZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess is a GAME, NOT SPORT, same is poker, GAME

sport can't be sitting around tabble drinking coffe and chating with other players :deal:

what about soccer, basketball, baseball, football, rugby, hockey, and badminton?? those are all sports that play games i think poker is a sport because there is competioion.

DeeNice002

DeeNice002

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I must agree and takes as much discipline to master..

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If there was still any doubt about poker be considered a sport or not, today we had a major response.

Andre Akkari, Brazilian poker player, is now sponsored by Puma, one of the biggest sports brands in the world. He post on his Facebook page:

"I am really happy to announce my new sponsor, welcome to the incredible poker world @puma !"

In my opinion is an important recognition that the great poker players are talented sports men, and as worthy of respect as football or chess players.

Welcome, Puma!

View attachment 122513

Reminder of why we say, don't drink & type. I will concede poker is as much a sport as chess or fantasy football & maybe binge drinking.

GrindFreak

GrindFreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker tournament is a sport. Poker cash game is a business. Like chess or golf. All about strategy.

savaxz

savaxz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no. a very large percentage of luck. Even in chess it is much less.
And given that we do not know what rules the cards are dealt slot machine, alas. it's not a sport

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive seen it a full contact sport in Vegas:)

C

Cleavon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree completely that poker is a sport highest paid at that