yes, sometimes you sweat more than at physical activities :burnout:

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe someone is keeping a tally?

A sport is the competitive combination of fitness and skill. Poker is a competitive combination of skill and luck.

If the physical component of a competition is irrelevant or very minor to the success of the competitor, it's not a sport. I wouldn't call chess, darts, or bowling sports because while being fit will help the player to a small degree, fitness is hardly a component of the competition to the point where one player's fitness is likely to give that player any edge over the competition.

I think that people are hung up on poker being a "sport" because they hope someday that it will be in the Olympics. Which would be absurd. If poker is a sport then pretty much everything competitive is a sport, right?

G

gkiss0719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the sport of poker just like chess.
However, in chess you can not bluff. :)

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A sport according to Webster's dictionnary_ a PHYSICAL activity with set rule's. Is poker physical no its mental. :joyman:

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a mental sport which you can win money and build your skills..

R

Rafael Lima

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unfortunately there is still a certain prejudice with poker here in my town, I also had but a short time ago I met the sport and really enjoyed it! I'm trying to show my friends for them to see that poker is not at all what they think.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its an International sport, then I think drug testing should clarify that.

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe someone is keeping a tally?

A sport is the competitive combination of fitness and skill. Poker is a competitive combination of skill and luck.

If the physical component of a competition is irrelevant or very minor to the success of the competitor, it's not a sport. I wouldn't call chess, darts, or bowling sports because while being fit will help the player to a small degree, fitness is hardly a component of the competition to the point where one player's fitness is likely to give that player any edge over the competition.

I think that people are hung up on poker being a "sport" because they hope someday that it will be in the Olympics. Which would be absurd. If poker is a sport then pretty much everything competitive is a sport, right?

you misspell "physical exertion" to "fitness". And because you have to pratice sports daily to maintain yourself, it could go to different ways. Physical training would lead to a better body shape but mental training, on the other hand, is still helping you on how to solve problems and such.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sport - Chess/poker? Joke! There will never be a consensus cause its completely subjective. Even the Olympics considered it a sport not sure if I can post an external link within rules but google "Is chess a sport? Ending the debate"
The author claims that since the International Olympic committee has deemed it so that therefore it is. My response is the IOC is one of the more corrupt organizations out there so that logic fails with me.

Ironically read through his comments section and it mirrors the above some say yes some say no.

Does it matter? I don't see why. Could care less what people call it.

I call it hours of extreme boredom followed by moments of shear terror (stolen quote or partial from at least a couple pro's I can't think of at the moment)

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it is a sport how it keeps you fit?no totally is not a sport.

Meire

Meire

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport. But it's not just a game it can become a professional job. in my opinion.

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beyond that we love this game that is poker, I think that this is far from being a sport, the call sport means in other questions and qualities very different from those that we use in a table of poker or via online, it is a juice of chance , And still love poker and I do not mind that it is not a sport, but far from it, humbly an opinion I hope not to offend anyone with this comment

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope that when poker becomes an Olympic sport.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sport is unclearly defined nowadays, so nothing to discuss ;)

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to natural that poker is a sport but it is also a resource if they know how to win and lose but good luck to all :)

L

LuciaMendez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Best and most enjoyable game in the world

Best and most enjoyable game in the world

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a lot of people want poker to be a sport so that their countries
"ministry of sport" or whatever sporting authority they have, can influence online poker in their country. Which makes sense, but will never happen. If anything, online poker falls into the realm of e-commerce and gambling/lottery government departments rather than sport. So this is a pipe dream.

Either that, or some people want to think that playing poker is good for the body and mind like a real sport is.

Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you mean sport like brain training. :D I agree with others who said that is not a sport. For sports, you need to use your muscles, in poker you use just your brain.

MsNutHand

MsNutHand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always considered poker as a mind sport like chess, gamon and mainly as you can find teams, find Word tournaments and ranking and players living from tais sport!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hilarious that you reach thia conclusion just because someone got a sponser
Poker is never a sport. Ever. No game is a sport when you can be fat lazy and in terrible health and still win over time. Period

Chess is the same. Never a sport. Ever.

I agree with the statement made above .Not that we all get fat ,etc , but that exercise is not part of the game and it tends to make us get used to unhealthy habits , stay immoilized for so long , some overdo it for many hours and that is not good (me for ex:D) .
Poker is not a sport , it's a game of skill , that's for sure , it's for strong minds , and if they have a mathematical backround/basis the better IMO . Many threads have been used ,for this topic to be discussed , and I see that most players tend to believe it's a game of skill that includes gambling and nothing more :) Ofcourse I respect every opinion :) .

Last edited:
D

danilovchef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a suggestion.
First divide poker in the two disciplines.
Sports and Gaming.
secondly agree that only tournaments are a sport discipline.
Further.
Tournament poker player is sprotsman.
have a workout. have qualifications. have a distance. have a coach. have a championships.
final tables.
Basically there you will see a good looking players. this is strange? No.
We know that the brain is a part of the body consumes the greatest amount of energy. so without good nutrition and without physical exertion will be very difficult to show results on the distance. No alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, and stimulants.
Bottom line.
You can be a professional poker observing mode, taking care of your health, a lot of discipline and constantly improving strategies and tactics etc.
details.
Сash.
One side is grinders crew (little one only proffesional players who fishing) the other BIGGEST 99% side is dark side where you can drink, smoke or take drugs. play 99 tables drinking 1000 redbulls and coffee . nervous/collapse/ ruin. to go on tilt. laying house. become an outcast without a family and without a goal. Gamblers. and it's not a sport. which is why in many countries banned poker.

For me poker is sport. Only tournament.

Respect