Yes, poker IS a sport.

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a sport. In chess you do not think about football, but is considered and disputed as a sport. Every move, every victory is an emotion. It is an exercise for the mind!

______
Has four of a kind, FOLDS! :cool:

Last edited:
Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does poker being a sport make it more legitimate? This conversation is perpetually on forums. I think it's competitive and enough skill is involved for it to be considered a sport. For people who think that sports are only games that involve a ball, they should read a book or look up the definition of sport.

I think maybe YOU need to look up the definition of sport if you think poker is one.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is realmnte, I think poker is just a game ... even the concept of sport is another thing ...

It is an incredible game that integrates people"!

cally

cally

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty outrageous claim with zero proof other than a sponsor (who by the way, did not start in the athletic world, and does not hold any dominant share of the market in any sport). I believe all sports should be somewhat active. Now if we're running on treadmills during an MTT there ya go. Stamina for real!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty outrageous claim with zero proof other than a sponsor (who by the way, did not start in the athletic world, and does not hold any dominant share of the market in any sport). I believe all sports should be somewhat active. Now if we're running on treadmills during an MTT there ya go. Stamina for real!

I don't disagree on the not a sport bit, but as for Puma, they definitely started out as an athletic company. In fact Adidas and Puma started out as the SAME company, prior to WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma_SE

legman2

legman2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if Poker is a sport and I think it should be. Also should be voted into the Olympics.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's why they call it a poker run.

poker-run.jpg

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport? No. Game yes. Skill yes.
Here's Webster's definition:
a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.
Unless you consider mucking your cards or clicking a mouse Physical activity, I don't see how you could consider Poker a sport. These days words tend to take on extended definitions, to please the participants, but I'm not ready to go there.

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a sport. In chess you do not think about football, but is considered and disputed as a sport. Every move, every victory is an emotion. It is an exercise for the mind!

______
Has four of a kind, FOLDS! :cool:

chess is a GAME, NOT SPORT, same is poker, GAME

sport can't be sitting around tabble drinking coffe and chating with other players :deal:

R

Rodrigo sampaio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
behind here

I find very important the initiative of large companies in poker, who thus knows this prejudice has declined and really people understand better how to work fot
Unfortunately here in brazil the prablema is cultural in relation to this, we are far behind here

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find very important the initiative of large companies in poker, who thus knows this prejudice has declined and really people understand better how to work fot
Unfortunately here in Brazil the prablema is cultural in relation to this, we are far behind here

That's true ... work in Brazil has been intense to try to save the image of poker, which was destroyed due to other games such as "Cacheta" and others who were very popular and levarma families to ruins in the nineteenth century.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker.
Is.
Not.
A.
Sport.

"Definition of sport
: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other"

Source: Merriam-Webster.

Please. If poker is a sport, donald trump is a good presidential candidate. Paris hilton is a good role model.

P.I.N.A.S.

G

goshety4e

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
poker is a great revealer of character, a truism that applie?

T

TheWhitePwny

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can drink a beer while you do it it's not a sport!

C

cardmaker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Placing chips is a physical activity thank you very much, also reaching over to my bag of crisps and water bottle can get strenuous after some time.

Of course it is a sport. Too much physical activity going on for it not to be.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport is more than just a physical thing

Yes, I believe that poker is a sport. Sport is not a simple physical thing. It's more than that. Sports is about skills training and continuos practices. You need to be patient and master some or all parts of the game.

Also, poker reports benefits, as happines, fun, mental training, emotional management. Just because you have not to run, it doesn't mean that poker no requires discipline, strategy, skill, practice, and mental endurance and strength.

If you think that poker it's not a sport, then, it's because you have a poor definition of what sports is.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spot. MTT is a lot of competition in the time and effort it takes

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game of Skill, Challenging, competitive--yes.

Sport hardly. It really irks me when I see people try to argue that it is.

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look up sport, its been a while but I think it says any show of skill in the form of competition is sport, so I would say poker has some skill and competition, right?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Competitive video games aka "e-sports" are now on networks like ESPN alongside poker.

If you're going to call competitive games like Dota 2, LoL, and COD "e-sports" you could reasonably consider games like poker and chess sports. Although I do understand a slight distinction in that competitive gaming still requires some level of physical dexterity aka twitch response which decreases with age. Which is why you rarely see "pro" gamers competing on the circuit past age 23 or 24. But one could also argue, as Daniel Negraneu pointed out about his focus on fitness, that since the brain is just another part of the body, it needs to be in shape and fit to operate at it's peak.