What would you do if there was no poker at all?

F

fgy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I would live on. Life is beautiful.It would probably be better without poker.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker didn't exist, I would dedicate myself to other sports such as chess or paddle tennis. I love doing sports and would use that time to do more physical activities.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
always is going to be ,,something else ,, ...if is not poker is pool or could be any table game :)

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
poker is a good way to make money if you know how to play well :) unfortunately I haven’t made poker my job yet

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker were gone, it would be a huge shock for me, because I think this is the most relevant type of earnings at this time, I would leave to play computer games, and I would be looking for some kind of universal type of earnings at the same time.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker really the best way to get money?
Depends on what "best" means. If you mean "easy", well, no.

"The best way to make money is to work!"

You will be working quite a lot if you're serious about Poker. It's not something you pick up in a few hours. Like card counting at blackjack, it's not a get rich quick scheme. (I know because I started out as a Counter back in the early '80s) There will be a lot of intense study, work, and effort put in before you ever see your first pay day. That means doing your best to master as well as you can the game of your choice, memorizing the most common odds for drawing hands, being aware of stack and pot sizes to correctly identify +EV situations.

Once that's done, there will be a lot of work to overcome tilt. It does no good to win a bunch of sessions only to blow everything off just because you've hit a patch of rough road. Play long enough and you will see big hands cracked by some fish that made some ridiculous play. Fish are clueless that way; that's also what makes them so profitable. You will sit there, hour after hour, and see nothing but trash hands. Sometimes, it's unbelievable. There are only 1,326 starting hands in Hold 'Em, and it's incredible you see so many bad ones. You have to have the ability to keep throwing them away until you get one you like. Doesn't matter that that (Q,T-o) is the best hand you've been dealt UTG, Throw. It. Away. That's another fishy play: playing the trashiest hands because you haven't seen a decent hand all session, or because of the Gambler's Fallacy: the idea that since something hasn't happened in awhile that it's "due". It isn't, and there's no fighting the math and coming out on top.

Then there's the work at the table: you need to pay attention to your opponents. If playing live, that means no ogling the cocktail girls, keep your eyes on the action, and ignore the Big Game on the overhead screens, leave your smart phone home. If playing on-line, no opening a new tab to watch CensorTube videos or chat on social media. You need to know who's playing and how do they play? I lost count long ago of all the times I've seen the nittiest player sitting behind huge stacks. The other idiots who don't pay attention just hand him stack after stack when it should have been obvious that Mr Nit has pocket aces when he 3-bets all-in because he's never done that with less.

Then the work never stops. You can't let your game go stagnant. New opponents are learning new tricks all the time, and you need to keep up if you don't want to be left behind.

Poker isn't easy money, but you have to ask yourself if it's better to play Poker than work a 9-5?

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it wasn't for poker, I probably wouldn't have played anything...

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The same things I currently do. Poker is one of the sports that I learned to love, however, I play others too.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would I do, if there Poker no was at all?!. Hm, I would strive to create Poker! That's it!

MathMDI

MathMDI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I probably wouldn't stress out so much. But I wouldn't have had a good laugh either.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think I would live a normal life, but without that fun that poker generates for me.

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
hahahaha, what questions. I imagine that I would continue living normally, maybe I would be investing my playing time in something else although I honestly don't know what that would be hahahaha

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'd be a lot richer, that's for sure!

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Play other games nothing or noone is indispensable.

romalion

romalion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
of course not, if you do not treat poker professionally, then consider it the best way to make money, for me it is like a hobby in which you can get satisfaction and a little money

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't really believe that poker is the easiest way to make money.
What I do believe is that, as in every endeavor you undertake, if you have serious and consistent work, in addition to at certain times having the necessary amount of luck, you can achieve great achievements.
Greetings:):):)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Transform into someone who would rather live in the woods :unsure:

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you do the right things and don’t make mistakes (play tournaments that are not for br and expensive ones if you outplay them with a skill), then it’s quite possible

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
All the same things I do when I don't play. Poker is no where near my only hobby hehe. With the spare time I might pick up something else or invest more time in my other hobbies.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would be very happy but I would be bored, I wouldn't know what to do

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
just that simple continue my life, and the time that i spend playing poker i will spend it in other things like sport or videos games

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think I was living well even before I didn't play poker, I guess I felt it because the big win hadn't been won yet

Is poker really the best way to get money?
good question, the first time You win 1K is too good, then You go after 10K, 50K, 100K and so on. I think in USA and Europe isn't difficult to get a job to win 100K+, specially in IT and Technology.
The best answer is are You happy doing your job regularly, I know many poker players that don't fit in the game at all, they are not players they are complainers lol.:D

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My fellow catdschatter, you can't quit your job and start playing poker 24/7 hoping to make a living. Poker is a game, not a sport. You can train as long as you want, study your opponents all you want, more often than usual you will lose, poker is entertaining, yes, but don't count on it to make a living. e.g. you got lucky and won 100k, take 10% of it for poker and invest the rest, because the variance is after you, it's like gravity, you can't escape it