What would you do if there was no poker at all?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Flexing my muscles on Onlyfans maybe.

Poker is NOT the best way to make money. Online is very tough above the lowest limits, and LIVE is still soft but so slow that you never know your true win rate.

But I think most of the players here play for entertainment and see it as a hobby. Nothing wrong with that. Plus if you play MTTs there is always a chance to a big score.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I consider it one of the most complex ways to earn a living, as nothing demands so much from your mind to endure so many daily frustrations.
I would be doing other things, but I wouldn't be sitting for hours in front of a PC.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Poker is definitely not the easiest way to make money, The only sure way to make money is to get a job and work hard, maybe someday start your own business as I did and then you will come to understand what work is really like.
Working for a boss 40 hours a week is great if you get appreciation for the work you do, with a wage packet at the end of the Week/Month.
Working for yourself and 40 hours is just part time, my shortest working week was 72 hours, with some weeks I was doing 80 hours and then some. Poker is just a past time, a Hobby, something I did when my health was bad and I couldn't work, or my Car broke down and I was off the road. Poker will never give me a living that I have become accustomed to, working for myself, and I have now been retired since my 58th Year, 10 years ago.
When I took the decision to become self employed, I invested in a great Pension plan that now gives me a good return so that I don't have to worry about Bills or Repairs to my own house, and I am still saving money and the best part is now I don't need to work, and have all the spare time and spare cash to play Poker whenever I want. But it will never replace the hard work I did preparing for my early retirement that I now enjoy.
Some people do make a living from playing Poker, but it takes a lot of hard work, studying and following a strict bankroll Strategy that works for them, and any Professional Player will tell you it is far from easy money!

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this day and age anyone who plays poker to earn a living is, unless they are a top player, dreaming. It is so hard to
do now. If you just play within your means and enjoy it, if you win great and if not there is always another day :)
Poker is entertainment and for most people not a profession.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
But in all seriousness, I believe that whatever path we choose in life, we should aim to better ourselves while also helping others. Money is not the only way to feel fulfilled. Perhaps without poker I could volunteer my time teaching English or coaching sports. What really matters is living with compassion. As the Dalai Lama said, "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Play a lot, work on your game even more - and success will definitely come. There are many examples of poker players who grew into world-class stars, starting to play from scratch, this is money out of thin air.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if there was no poker, probably own race horses, as horses were my passion until they closed the track here.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that not everyone can make money from poker, because this game requires certain character traits. It seems to me that it is easier to make money through entrepreneurship or a regular job.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
I would just do play video games on my lap top like i usually do, or do anything that will entertain me . Poker is not the best way to earn money. If you need the money, you should work hard for it as Genesis 3:19 says. I play poker as a hobby, not as a way to earn for a living.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Get a real job kid, that's how you earn a living and a pension. You can still play poker almost any other time, maybe make some extra money or maybe make that one big win. Making a real living from poker is a grinding hard life full of uncertainties! But hey, that's a personal opinion. Good luck to you.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At this stage of my life, making money online is the only way I make money. So I don't have much of an alternative. So poker is one of my ways of making money. There is no other way. :cautious:

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play for fun and recreation. Some smart pro (10,2 ?) once said poker is a very hard way to make an easy living, or something like that lol

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I don't think it would be a problem, I'm interested in many things, so I'd look for another hobby instead of poker.
This would rather cause problems for those who make a living from it.
Of course, the question is theoretical, this game will never disappear, there is too much money in it (especially for poker sites) to just disappear.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Today for me the best way to make money is to work. ha ha ha. Poker is a good way to maybe make extra some month.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if poker didn't exist, I would just live a normal life, play sports, go to the gym and train, but now there is poker and I'm still doing the same thing, but I also play poker now you can really make good money, you just need to know how to play and spend time playing poker

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
If you have no other activities apart from poker, you need to change your approach to life. For me, poker is a hobby like many other activities and it does not dominate my life.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably need to find another hobby, maybe I would read more or exercise more (don't know about the last one..lol). About the money, I think it depends of where you live poker can be a very good way to win some extra money. Like in my country $ worth around 5x our current currency, so, even if you don't win much playing poker still is considered a good money for the majority part of the population.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think I was living well even before I didn't play poker, I guess I felt it because the big win hadn't been won yet

Is poker really the best way to get money?
The best way to get money is to get a job. Yes, it's trite, but it's actually the easiest way. No one will pay you to play poker, moreover you have to pay yourself if you want to play :)

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would continue to be a YouTuber or system analyst!:unsure:💻🎥

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing poker, I spend my free time well, and sometimes I can earn something. If there was no poker, then most likely I would watch TV shows in the evenings, play video games, and go fishing on weekends, but I like to play poker more.

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I don't see it as a way to make money, because it's not always like that, it's a learning process and many defeats but not everyone is determined to face this hard path, I just know that it will come but in the meantime let's keep fighting for that day.

SES Inc.

SES Inc.

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I don't play for the money so losing the game would be more a devastating theft of a chosen hobby or better yet said love.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Poker is a game that offers opportunities to win money, but its viability as a source of income depends largely on the skill, experience and risk management of each player. Although some highly skilled players can win consistently, poker also involves high variability and fierce competition, making success not guaranteed. It is important to recognize that poker is not the best way to make money for everyone and that it takes time, dedication and a solid financial strategy to meet its challenges. Before considering poker as a source of income, it is essential to evaluate your own skills and personal circumstances, as well as maintaining a primary source of income or financial safety net, as poker can be a volatile activity.