What is the worst mistake a player can make?

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Going all in preflop with 23o 🤷

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Succombing to tilt and fall into a negative mindset while at the tables. It's like a domino effect.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The biggest mistake you make is when you sit down at the poker table for the first time, but then it turns out that this is not a mistake, but interest and pleasure.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing with money you can't afford to lose.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
players' mistake. this is the wrong bluff. there are players who can't play themselves, and they won't let you play. constantly bluffing.

lyudiko

lyudiko

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The player can lose money, a large sum of money))
The biggest mistake of a player is tilt and the desire to recoup. And everything else is a trifle ...

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing inconsistently. Like, first playing too tight and then, when bleeding out, risking too much with bad hands.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thinking that getting dealt AA or KK entitles you to win a huge pot 100% of the time then going on tilt when it doesn't happen. No hand is 100% to win preflop and you don't improve by the river then you have one pair and that's it. You only beat high cards.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mistake that I make is not being patient.

bredinha

bredinha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Being stubborn and not letting go when you are clearly losing the hand.

Artemloshara

Artemloshara

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Ehh, it's a very interesting question, I made a big mistake myself, I'll tell you the situation and answer this question right away, the case is that I wanted to bluff with alyn, there were about 80 blinds when I opened 5 maps, honestly, I don't remember what the tournament was like, went to allyn, wanted to bluff, hit me when I was knocked out in pre-order with prizes)

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Giving in to tilt and losing your good standing in the tournament!

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Misreading your hand and folding Royal Flush:eek:

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Probably my biggest mistakes that I can't get rid of are limping and too much emotion in the game

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Start playing poker for real; money, without a clue about what they are doing, and get excited. Plain recipe for disaster.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lose constantly and don't give you a stop, to relax and focus again on the game

WRWILLIA15

WRWILLIA15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Yes, but don't misunderstand going too far and never playing more speculative hands.
See, if I KNOW that you only play premium hands and pocket pairs &&==77 and above, well, I have a HUGE advantage against you post-flop, whether it's a dry or wet board.
If you're too meticulous, you'll also become easy to avoid and your discipline and patience will only be rewarded with everyone giving up on you and you just taking the blinds. I don't go into a hand with anyone with a VPIP < 10 without AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQ... I just avoid it knowing that, otherwise, I'll definitely be starting my hand from behind.

It's a bit like bluffing. If you never get caught bluffing, you're probably not bluffing enough
The deadliest mistake you can make in Poker is to be predictable. Once you're predictable, there's nothing you can do. You're going to lose.

In any case, I prefer the TAG/LAG approach. If I have a table of nits, I will definitely expand my range and steal the blinds.
I'm also going to defend my BB... and I have no problem donking to prove a point. (The point is, don't think you're going to come in and claim my blinds).

But ultimately, I agree with you. Many hands is probably the number 1 problem with new poker players.

WRWILLIA15

WRWILLIA15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I really liked your comment spoke like a professional and who already knows things very good answer if predictable and throw chips away

PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Creating a reputation at the table as a loose player and then going in with junk and trying to bluff

rion85

rion85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
It was a good article about it on Pokerology from Tom "TIME" Leonard

#1 – Obsessively Defending Blinds​

Many players are obsessive about defending their blinds. They allow their egos to convince them that it is wimp poker to be pushed off their blinds. Others feel that they have already made a down payment by way of the cost of the blind so they are getting a bargain. There are also obsessive blind stealers out there. For this reason you will hear time and time again it is imperative to gain knowledge about your opponents’ tendencies. Constantly defending your blinds with weak holdings is detrimental to your poker bankroll. If you demonstrate the discipline to fold those weak holdings you accomplish two significant upsides. First, you will save the chips that would have, in all likelihood, been frittered away by defending. Secondly, you will embolden the stealers to continue their attempts at larceny and they will begin to lower their stealing standards as you “train” them to recognize what a pushover you are. Then when you do have a quality holding you can surprise them by playing back.

#2 – Cold Calling Raises​

Cold calling is the act of calling more than one player’s raise at once. If one opponent raises and then another re-raises and you just call, you are cold calling. It is a very weak play that indicates either timidity and/or a lack of discipline. Possessing either of these weak traits does not bode well for success. Generally, if your holding is not worthy of a re-raise it should be dumped. The mind set you should begin embracing is to consider the act of calling to be the last choice of possible actions. Patience and discipline should be exercised as it will lead to selective aggression which in turn should translate to profits. Of course, if you’re slow-playing to set a trap with a monster hand that would be quite a different matter.

#3 – Over Calling​

This error is similar to #2 as it is a weak play and shows a lack of discipline. Over calling is to call a bet that a player or players to your right have already called. The classic example is a pre-flop limp fest and in that situation it can be correct with a hand that plays well in a large field. A small pocket pair or suited connectors would be two examples. However, post flop if you have third pair and it is bet and called in front of you then you need to come to grips with the obvious, which is – you are behind. Throw that loser in the muck and wait for a better opportunity.

#4 – Semi-Stealth-Tilt​

We all know that tilt can be defined as playing poorly due an emotional state brought on by losing in a perceived unfair manner. It is exemplified by super aggressive play that is a desperate attempt to get even or punish the player who has inflicted the pain. Emotionally grounded players don’t usually go on tilt – or at least they don’t think they do. Semi-Stealth-Tilt or SST is a more insidious form of this malady. Semi – because it isn’t full blown tilt but just leaning towards tilt. Stealth – because it sneaks up on you in degrees, so slowly that you can be tilting for hours without even realizing it. This is somewhat common to intermediate players as they have advanced to a skill level that they sometimes put their game on auto pilot. So, maybe SST is not brought on by a series of losing hands but it results in the same impaired or diminished judgment that classic tilt exemplifies. Make it a habit to constantly monitor your game for SST so as not to fall prey to its negative impact on your results. Basically, you need to keep your head in the game at all times to make informed decisions.

#5 – Fancy Play Syndrome​

The phrase fancy play syndrome or FPS was first introduced by the prolific poker writer Mike Caro many years ago. It is still as relevant as it was when first introduced to the public. Basically it relates to the desire to utilize the “fancy” or more complicated play rather than straight forward play primarily to be perceived by opponents as a super savvy, expert poker player. The old ego can really get some players into trouble. Although much of winning poker is about deception, going out of your way to take the fancy or tricky route instead of straight forward play is not a long term winning strategy. A classic example of FPS earning a negative result is slow-playing less than a monster hand thereby allowing an opponent to draw out and beat you. Most of the time straight forward, solid, aggressive play is your best course of action.

#6 – Playing Small Pairs in Early Position​

Since you only see a pocket pair, on average once every sixteen hands, when one lands it can be very seductive, especially if you’ve been forced to the sidelines by a long series of terrible hands that have gone immediately into the muck. There are several problems inherent in the play of small pairs out of position. In a full game, they rarely win in a showdown without improvement. The improvement needed is to make a set which is almost 8-to-1 against pre-flop. Sure, they can often be played in no-limit when implied odds are at work and you’re looking to set mine, but generally – when you’re in a full game you should exercise the discipline to only play quality hands from early position. When the game becomes short handed your small pairs will soar in value.

#7 – Game Selection​

Most of us have heard the old aphorism – If after the first ten minutes at the table, you can’t spot the sucker, then it’s you. But how do you know? You need to start by studying your opponents to see who is or isn’t making mistakes. Hopefully you can do this before you even sit down so if you have a choice of seats you can make a better more informed decision. Remember, if you cannot determine that any of your opponents are making any errors in judgment then why stay in a game when there must be easier pickings elsewhere. You’ve probably heard the story about the ninth best hold’em player in the entire world. His only failing was that he regularly played with the top eight players in the world. Don’t fall into that trap. Study your opponents to gauge their level of knowledge and skill to make sure you can compete profitably in the game.

#8 – Not Recognizing Opportunities​

Beginner players who aspire to greater poker heights focus on good solid starting hand values, not playing too many hands, and they work hard on their discipline. In essence they evolve into good ABC players. In order to move up to the next level and become a skilled winning poker player one must do more than just play solid by the book poker. Poker is a game of relative values so you don’t necessarily need a monster hand to win – just one better than your opponent. Better yet, sometimes you just need a well timed/sized bet to make your opponent lay down the winning hand. The key element of recognizing profitable opportunities is good position. By playing position you’re in the driver’s seat to steal blinds and orphan pots. Force yourself outside the mind set of playing by the book, and take advantage of opportunities. Remember, good cards come and go but opportunities arise constantly.

#9 – Not Laying Down Losers​

Not being able to make a good lay down in limit poker can cost you some bets. This same frailty in no-limit will get you to the felt quicker than any other mistake. This egregious error ties back to some of the other elements such as overcalling and cold calling raises. There is no magic pill to make sure you always lay down the losers but never lay down a winner. The proper feel will come through studying your opponents and gaining more and more experience. When put to the test think through the likely holdings of your opponent and consider giving him credit for the hand he is representing instead of your chips.

#10 – Math and Odds​

If you aspire to play poker well you must appreciate that knowledge of math and probability is a must. Most poker players know the standard odds of drawing hands like straights and flushes and if you don’t, take this as a wakeup call to search out that information and commit it to memory. Our beginner lesson on drawing odds outlines this fundamental concept and explains a shorthand method of figuring the odds you face when you have two cards to come and when the only card left is the river. This knowledge is critical to success.

If you can honestly state that none of these mistakes ever crop up in your game then I don’t want you playing at my table. We all make mistakes and you should consider these ten mistakes as a check list for better poker play and performance. If any of them resonate in your game then you can start to plug those leaks by setting goals and working on those aspects of your game.

Reference: https://www.pokerology.com/lessons/common-poker-mistakes/

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst mistake is to consider poker a card game.

Robbit

Robbit

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the worst long-term mistake is a poor bankroll management.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi,
I think the worst mistake a poker player can make is to think that they know too much and that they know better than their opponents, so he does not analyse other players' moves and does not try to understand what is happening around him since in his mind" he knows " they made a bad play.
Gl at the tables