What is the worst mistake a player can make?

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think AA on a AA flop might be the wost.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
a mistake that many people make like me is wanting to "play too many hands" even with hands considered weak, you pay to see if you hit something and you chip.
In other words, the most common mistake is playing with junk. I agree, too many players play with garbage and it usually leads to losses.

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my opinion, the biggest mistakes in poker are of a mental nature, not superficially technical: 1. tilting, which clouds your mind and, in the worst case, makes you forget about bankroll management. Even the world's best players have losing days. 2. the partly excessive overestimation of one's own abilities. Rule of thumb: The more you know about the game of poker, the greater the supposed path to perfection. Because that is now recognized at all. Knowledge begins with the unmasking of ignorance. Just as Socrates saw himself as the whisest of all Greeks due to his popularly literary concise insight: Because I know what I don't know.

Ergo: Those who are not willing to work on themselves should keep their hands off this game; unless they play it just for fun.

A

Adieadie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most common mistake is playing junk hands

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides your poker hands...I would say playing for money when you don't know what you're doing is a big mistake, and bad bankroll management is one of the worst..

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
There's nothing worse than "not playing with junk" and then discovering you would have won with ease ...

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In other words, the most common mistake is playing with junk. I agree, too many players play with garbage and it usually leads to losses.
Yes, but do not misunderstand this by going too far the other way and never playing more specuilative hands.
You see, if I KNOW that you only play premium hands and pocket pairs &&==77 and above, whell, I have a HUGE advantage against you post-flop whether a dry or wet board.
If you are too nitty, you also become easy to avoid and your discipline and patience will only be rewarded with everyone folding to you and you just taking the blinds. I won't enter a hand with anyone with a VPIP < 10 without AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQ...I just steer clear knowing that otherwise, I'll definitely be starting the hand from behind.

It's a bit like bluffing. If you're never getting caught bluffing, you're probably not bluffing enough
The most deadly mistake you can make in Poker is being predictable. Once you are predictable, there is nothing you can do. You will lose.

In any case, I prefer the TAG/LAG approach. If I'm with a table of nits, I will most definitely widen my range and steal blinds.
I will also defend my BB...and have no issue donking to prove a point. (The point being, don't think you're gonna waltz in and claim my blinds).

But at the end of the day, I agree with you. Too many hands is probably the number 1 issue with new poker players.

idhemmy

idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The worst mistake in poker is playing based on emotions rather than logic, leading to poor decisions and eventual loss.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The worst mistake you can make is to believe that poker is based on luck, a hand can be defined by luck but most of the tournament will be based on decisions and statistics.

GrEbZ2021

GrEbZ2021

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Get away for a few seconds and catch a car pass from AA or CC

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think not being creative is a big mistake... If your opponent can read you and you fail to react... Do something else with your time. Your mind should be actively involved or else you don't stand a chance.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
playing too many hands and taking not enough time before deciding.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overall is don't have control of your emotions. In a tournament/cash game, play too passive.

valen.bs.95

valen.bs.95

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it's to keep making deposits when he's on tilt.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think the biggest mistake is playing under the influence of emotions after a big defeat.

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
A mistake that many people make like me is wanting to “play too many hands” even with hands considered weak, you pay to see if you hit something and you chip.
“playing too many hands” results in the following errors:
It is a mistake to invest your entire stack with Second Nuts.
Another is to pay the big riverbet of a calling station (stats for example: VPIP 60 - PFR 3). It's always, always the nuts.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm torn between folding to sitters and
falling victim to conspiracy theories instead of looking within👍

pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
a mistake that many people make like me is wanting to "play too many hands" even with hands considered weak, you pay to see if you hit something and you chip.
I try not to participate in every hand. Big cards are not always good either, you also have to pay attention to the hand.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO a big mistake is to think your very good hand (AKs, KK, even AA) is OF COURSE gonna win. So the biggest mistake should be : not being able to fold monsters when the board is unfavorable.