What struck you the most when you started playing poker?

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It struck me the most when I realized that there are no friends in poker, i deliberately didn't wanna play against my friends even when I knew I was better than them. but, I learned that the hard way, now there's no mercy :)

Crazyrider22

Crazyrider22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember all: Fortune favours the brave!

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i have started to play , i found it very dificult to play multitabling. I was playing 1-2 tables same time for long time till i've get used with them.
Another thing i found dificult was to combine game formats..like sngs 6 man with 9 man and different speeds

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was amazed at the number of people and money in the industry.

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing poker since the mid 60's. That's a long time, longer than most of you have been alive. The thing that sticks in my mind is how poker has evolved over the years. Back then the most popular games were 7 card stud, 6 card stud, 5 card draw, 5 card draw low ball, 7 card stud hi/low (without a low qualifier) to name a few. Holdem' was just getting it's legs. I remember walking into the Circus Circus poker room in Las Vegas (that's when they had a poker room) and playing my favorite game, 6 card stud. On the table next to me was the one and only Holdem' game in the room. Everyone on that table had ten times the chip stack of the largest stack on my 6 card stud table. Every pot size on the Holdem' table dwarfed the biggest pot of the night on my table. Well, it didn't take long and we all see what affect Holdem' had on all these other games. This is my prediction: If you like to play poker you had better learn to play PLO. In 5 years PLO will do to Holdem' what Holdem' did to the rest of those games that were plentiful back when I started playing.

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
these were incredible emotions, drive and excitement going wild

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats What I need

Thats exactly what I need. I want to build a bankroll so much, and I need one of those running luck streaks for a few moths. Well now that I think of it forever,
When I starter playing poker I had what people call beginners luck.. So I thought that this is easy money, then I won my first live tourney and I thought that I was a better player then the rest of the local regulars.. But as my luck went a way then I found out the hard way; that poker is not as easy as I thought. So now I'm working on my game and reading more to help my self in all my weakness of my game..!
Good Luck every one..!

T

tayday79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LET'S GO! TALK TO US :)

The biggest surprise I had when knowing poker, was the news that players arcaba with their own expenses and could generate a profession this beautiful game

I believe it is not very easy to start in today's times, but nothing is impossible.
It is important that we fight and have perseverance!

AND YOU?:laugh:
what struck me the most was all the money the pros was making at the final table

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When I first started playing poker, I was the atmosphere, the players from different countries, all in equal opportunities before the start, a game room, in short all the Super!

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always been a gambler, I just like playing poker while I'm drinking and listen to music. playing poker for myself it is relaxing. that is also where I have learned to have patients as well wait for the hands you thing will win. doesn't work all the time but I have found patients over the years where I use them now in everyday life.

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing online, I didn't realize that I didn't even know know all the rules, thus kicker cards and flush being higher than straight or 3s was a surprise.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing struck me in poker. I am calm in relation to poker. I just want to earn decently and not need a material sense.

K

Karl Hernandez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was surprised that almost everyone i knew back then said that Poker has nothing to do with skill. It would be pure luck.

Might have never heard of a professional poker player.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the biggest surprise was when the first week of starting to play poker win $ 300 ... beginner luck!

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the luck factor involved in it when you have good cards that flop bad. lol

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest surprise was that i was able to win a tournament.

I won the money on tournaments and lost them on cash games.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad beats and river killer fascinates me

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
what struck me most is the adrenaline of the game that at a time when few chips and suddenly got a stroke of luck or a good game makes competing and back again is a game extraodinario

Frank flores

Frank flores

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LET'S GO! TALK TO US :)

The biggest surprise I had when knowing poker, was the news that players arcaba with their own expenses and could generate a profession this beautiful game

I believe it is not very easy to start in today's times, but nothing is impossible.
It is important that we fight and have perseverance!

AND YOU?:laugh:

What struck me the most was knowing if I could only be so good 1 day I could win enough money to change my life :dancing2:

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
firstly poker bringsout the inner ature of the person...if they were an asshole, reckless cowardly before it 1000x in poker...

secondly there are those people who use poker to validate themselves...more worthy more intellectual more smart more crafty etc...instead of just seeing the game as a game and nothing more..

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for me it was an opportunity to get military overnight in a big tournament

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably someone mentioning poker forums. This was one of the first I joined and from there the real learning process started. Finer points like BRM, pot, implied odds and equity.

Knew the game as I played a lot of free chip games and didn't trust putting money in online poker. After depositing and having some success joined CC. One of the best education to poker for me. If you put in the time, this place as endless information to discover.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
finding that not only is a card game, you must have knowledge to make money

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
my biggest surprise when i start play (last may) & study poker serious?

i read books, see videos, chat many forums, join programs, watch twitch & youtube play
every single poker player i talk to, or hear from is a winner!
wow i think everyone wins at poker - everyone
i lose all the time get depressed
am i the only loser play poker?

then i read statistics that 95+% of poker players are losers
hummmm

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
my biggest surprise when i start play (last may) & study poker serious?

i read books, see videos, chat many forums, join programs, watch twitch & youtube play
every single poker player i talk to, or hear from is a winner!
wow i think everyone wins at poker - everyone
i lose all the time get depressed
am i the only loser play poker?

then i read statistics that 95+% of poker players are losers
hummmm

Most people only remember the wins and don't count the loses. Probably more a luge'r than loser where you are from. :)