What is the main mistake in poker?

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
One common mistake in poker is playing too many hands, especially weak ones. It's crucial to be selective and patient with your starting hands to increase your chances of winning.

pirucasjc

pirucasjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Main poker mistake: those who are starting out and play another 20% of their hands at the start

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Arrogance, thinking that you play a lot and know more than others, thinking that you always have the best hand...

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I make a bunch of mistakes, but I guess that the main one is sitting down at the table to begin with. :)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think the main mistake is that they don't change gears based on the phase , the line up of players and their table image. Most people think that poker has for example a static range of hands you should open raise/3bet/resteal which in my opinion is wrong.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main mistake that I see in other players is putting far too much weight or value on 2 flush cards. Especially weaker flush cards.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
It's hard to say, seems like it's totally personality dependent.

Some people way overvalue situations, some undervalue. A lot do both at the same time!

Imagine someone who will call all-in with top pair, top kicker or an overpair but never consider that the villain may have flopped two pair or a set. The same player might very well overfold in other situations if they purely consider pot odds and don't think about implied odds, the fold equity they may have from bluffing, or the fact that they could even be ahead at the time.

I believe I've been undervaluing things mostly, playing very "face up" or fit/fold. I'm making a concious effort to disrupt that pattern.

Last edited:
john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The biggest mistake in poker is to play it. Happy are those who do not play poker... What do you think?
It's not a mistake to play poker! I have never regretted it and will never regret it, as poker has brought me good money. And I hope it will help me to become financially independent. At least I believe in it. :)

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most common mistake in poker is a player getting so happy on the value of their particular hand that they fail to assess or consider the value of the opponents hand

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
If you have an addiction to gambling, you don't know how to play poker and spend most of your money to throw it into it - then yes, the main mistake is that you are doing it. But if you know how to play, win and practically do not spend your money, and also it brings you pleasure - then that's great.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a stupid question on this forum. But it was still interesting to read who writes what. Poker is a game, you play if you like the game itself and you can earn money at work. But if you can earn money from poker, you will become a professional

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I agree with others who wrote that the main mistake is to play most hands, especially when you have a medium stack. This very often leads to a quick end to the tournament.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The biggest poker mistake for me would be playing too many hands passively.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
having no patience and playing against the odds a majority of the time

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Letting the game control you is the biggest mistake you have to make, and at some point you have to control yourself accordingly and the game if you feel that you are making too many mistakes you better give up playing temporarily or permanently... addictive 🙂🙂🙂

O

oskarsbaumanis2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
a bigger mistake is not learning how to play poker well and thinking you can win, etc !!

D

dem_al100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inability to manage the bank. Inattention

J

jazux48

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Найбільша помилка в покері - грати в нього. Щасливі ті, хто не грає в покер... Як ви думаєте?
Controversial opinion. Everyone should have a hobby, for someone it is fishing, for someone it is a sport, and for someone it is a pleasure to sit at an online poker table, get lost, forget about everyday life.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest mistake in poker is believing that you can make big money.:)

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, the main mistake when playing in a tournament is falling into tilt, when you lose a hand from above or an important coin, it seems that everything - the whole session is awry!