What helps you prepare to play your A-game?

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if I'm getting ready for a long game, I pour myself some tea and prepare to watch a movie or TV series

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
This goes for important games to me..
Finishing daily routine, walking the dog , cleaning up etc.
Making coffee, drinking it while having a smoke .
After that I sit down turn something on to watch and start playing

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I often go for a walk with my dog, two or three times a day. I especially like to go for a walk before the evening tournaments. A walk in the fresh air somehow does me good, especially my nerves. After the walk, I'm calm as a boa, and I play very patiently and with concentration :)

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me there is no difference whether it is live poker or online poker, whether it is a cash game or a tournament. The main thing before a gaming session is to get a good night's sleep, have a good day, and preferably get some positive emotions. There should be a lot of positive energy inside me that I will be ready to spend on the game. Nothing in life should bother me, I should feel good and at the same time know that I don’t need to rush anywhere. In order for the gaming session to go well and luck to be on my side, I must be completely relaxed, I must be in a good mood and I must enjoy the game.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My couch helps me prepare for the game :)
I like to eat well before the tournament and lie on the sofa for an hour or half an hour, thinking about how I will spend the money I win :)

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It's important for me to be able to concentrate fully on poker. If I have other things on my mind, such as work or maybe even looking after the children, I can't play my best poker. It's also important that I'm not tired, otherwise I get impatient too quickly and don't play my best hands. I play a maximum of 3 tables at the same time, more tables would put me under too much pressure to make decisions. I prefer to have 2 tables so I don't get bored but can still play my best poker.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have a kind of "superstition ritual" that triggers me in a way - :cool:...at least that's how I lie to myself and then believe that it does something!

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Quite honestly, when I play my A+ game, I haven't really done anything. The day has just led me to a relaxed and focused state naturally. There are things I can do when this state isn't reached naturally but I'll only reach A game, not A+. Some of the best things for relaxation include, eating a light meal of favorite foods, a long hot shower, of simply sitting quietly in a comfortable chair whilie clearing my mind. Things that help with focus can be a light study session, the chair sitting I mentioned, and probably most effectively, reviewing my goals for the upcoming session and focusing on the strategies that will help me achieve that goal.

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The more important thing for me is to be in a good state of mind all other things are secondary

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when it's an important game studying increases confidence

dartablasta

dartablasta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me its to have a good health, good study and be okay with your family, friends etc. When i feel that i have this covered i feel confortable and play my A-GAME

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
1. i need a good sleep for min. 6,5 hours to 8,5 hours.
2. 45-90 mins walk outdoor
3. before a tournament session it is necessary that i had a good meal, in order i would i say 2-3 hours before poker just to have time to get awake again with an espresso and 10 mins outdoor walk.
4. 2 drinks water and a juice or coke/beer, if it is gonna be an extendet tournament or long session it is helpful when 2 little snacks like nuts or crackers are be prepared already.
5. good music like jazz can helps to stay in a good mood for poker

for cash games i wouldnt do this, because i can sit out when ever i want and come back again if i needs break and having a chilled poker session!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
For me, the most important thing is a positive attitude and that I am rested. Additionally, I must be aware that my next day is free from work. So I play best on weekends at first. It helps me approach the game better because I play tournaments and I like to be aware of the next day off. Importantly, I also like it when I have more money set aside for recreational purposes, including playing poker. This allows you to approach the game more freely. What helps me most in motivating and planning the game is some previous success, even a small one. Positive early effects of something not necessarily related to poker make me feel positive about the game. I also only play a maximum of 2 tables to get the most out of the game and not to play automatically. Having more money in my account is the best motivation for me to play. :)

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally for Me, a good dream and food are Two Main things before Game in Poker. Also important to the different physical exersises
during Break Time, and then with Mental Health will OK! That's it!
P. S. Yes, and else, Lady Luck in this moment need on my side too!

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Maybe complete silence and concentration prepares for the game, plus 2 packs of cigarettes... There is nothing special that would make it better...

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A good nap prior to the game, waking up 30 minutes before game time and having a good cup of coffee. Starting the game refreshed and alert..

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
How do you prepare for a poker session ? This could be physical or mental preparation, or organizing snacks or music. Does it differ for you when it's a cash game vs and tournament? Or an online game vs. live?

I only play online. I have an excel sheet with the games that I could be interested in. I have one for the week days, other for the saturdays and other one for the sundays.
Before I start I mark up which games I'm gonna play, and in each brake I open their lobbies. That helps me to avoid the stress of looking for games while I'm playing.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
To ensure you're bringing your A-game to a poker session, preparation is key. Begin with a clear, focused mindset; mental clarity is crucial for making sound decisions under pressure. Set specific, achievable goals for the session beyond just winning, like improving bluff detection or managing bankroll effectively. Physical preparation matters too; ensure you're rested, hydrated, and have had nutritious food. A good physical state supports mental agility. Create a distraction-free environment, minimizing potential interruptions that could break your focus. Study your opponents if possible, understanding their tendencies can give you a strategic edge. Warm-up by reviewing key strategies or playing some practice hands; this gets your mind into 'poker mode'. Mindfulness or visualization techniques can help you reach a state of calm readiness, enhancing focus and emotional control during the game. Finally, have a plan for managing tilt, ensuring that if things don't go as planned, you can maintain composure and continue to play effectively.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How do you prepare for a poker session ? This could be physical or mental preparation, or organizing snacks or music. Does it differ for you when it's a cash game vs and tournament? Or an online game vs. live?

Personally, I prefer to dedicate myself to Sit In go and Mtt online.

For the best game you need to be absolutely immersed in focus. Think about every play after the middle of the game.
In other words, in the initial period you just need to play the basics, after that you need to focus.

I turn off everything around me. If I listen to music, I prefer songs with soft lyrics or bpm that synchronizes to 80BPM rhythms, keeping me in a controlled state.

I need to eat and hydrate well, keeping my mind at a high level.

By controlling the environment, it is easier to control the mind.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play poker mostly in the evenings and the only preparation that is necessary for me is a good dinner :)

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For myself it's a matter of time will i have enough time to go all the way? So i'll start with time management then from there have everything in place like drinks ,snacks,and of course my play list also some notes i may need. Some times i will even check the list of people playing and keep an eye on some of them.,and that's about it.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Cold beer, from the refrigerator - always gets me in shape :) .... For me, this is the most effective remedy. But at the same time, I am categorically against alcohol abuse. In my case, 1-2 cans of cold beer just for the benefit and luck :)

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
6-7 free hours is the first condition when I play a tournament. It`s too boring to be in money and to have to do something obligatory( to go to work, restaurant etc.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Before the game, I make myself a big cup of green tea. Green tea invigorates me a lot and my concentration improves after it. As for food, I mostly prefer fruits and I really like to eat dark chocolate during the game.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I can't call it preparation, but before I start (and, of course, while playing) I ask the poker gods to remember me and help me make the right choice: reset, call or raise. If it works, I raise my hands up and send streams of gratitude, and if not, I tell myself, oh my God, what a fool you are, you had the opportunity and signs to make a decision. I'm preparing a few sandwiches and a bottle (2) of beer and some potato chips in case the game lasts a long time.
but that was a long time ago, now it's time to resume it:) (y)

Top 10 Games