What helps you prepare to play your A-game?

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
couple of glasses of vine cant hurt

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Of course, in order for a person to play A game purvo, he must have rested. I always get a good night's sleep before a tournament or cash game although in cash games when I make even one mistake in my opinion I can leave the game at any time. Also, before a long tournament I play sudoku chess and solve logic problems. When the tournament lasts a long time, I drink energy drinks and coffee. I spend my breaks in the fresh air.

A

Anna Brito

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I prepare myself mentally if everything is not calm at home my game sucks I need concentration, without popcorn, snacks and music in any situation I need peace

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think there are some physical and some psychological aspects. At first the physical things. I tried to have enough sleep, especially if there is a possible long grind deep in the night. I could start only after the evening diner, so if i play a mtt with thousands of people, a deeprun could go until 5 or 6 in the morning. And if im tired at this most important stage of the tourney the bad decisions are increasing very high. And thats costs alot of money and value. Deepruns are very rar, so if you had those games, its so important to play your best game. Also psychological issues are important. if iam tilt, bad decisions are higher.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Don’t be a “Hero” in poker, don’t lose your spirit in the downswing, and your head in the upswing, and develop the habit of working and playing a lot.Sleep and eat before the game.

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the most important thing here is a good night's sleep

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Have a good rest and visualize the final table if I'm playing a tournament.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well rested and stress free helps me the most. Lots of water and good meal few hours works as well.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before playing I always like to review a poker hand beforehand, I also like to prepare something to eat during breaks and that makes a big difference for me

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
What helps me is the potential opportunity to win good money. For this, comfort, silence in the house, good health and a full stomach

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like to lock myself in my room, without worrying about anything, I listen to music, and I start playing, basically that's what I do, I eat something first and go to the bathroom, then it's just a game.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
The only answer i find is to learn learn and learn! Thats all.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Part of my preparation for poker is making coffee and packing some snacks.
Before that, I like to do something else, read, watch a movie, to refresh myself a bit, then the grind comes. :cool:

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Every day I give myself some mental relaxation for half an hour. That helps me a lot in my poker sessions

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The main aspect for me to play my best is to avoid all distractions. Having a clean mind and no preoccupations about anything is good. Also, avoiding noise or people in the same room. It is necessary to have total focus when playing.
On the personal side, I also like to dress up to play, not simply start playing in any time. So I take a shower, I wear a comfortable shirt that I like.
It is also good to have your meals prepared if you are going to take long sessions, so you don't starve when playing.
And of course, lots and lots of water always available.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How do you prepare for a poker session ? This could be physical or mental preparation, or organizing snacks or music. Does it differ for you when it's a cash game vs and tournament? Or an online game vs. live?

What helps you prepare to play your A-game?
I play poker in the evenings after work. My preparation consists of the following stages. I come home, shower, eat, make myself some coffee, make some sandwiches, .... and voila, I'm ready and armed :)

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The main thing is that I don't get nervous and everything will be ok

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be rested well (enough sleep),
a calmed mood,
good focus on the game,
enough to drink (water),
calm gentle music,
confidence that was not broken through daily struggles.
And many more, perhaps small and tiny things that have not that big effect but all work together to have an A-Game setup.
Not all are scientifically based.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vaping a bit of weed.

Its especially helpfull for me to not get bored and play my C, D, E or F-Game when i dont have too many tables or even only 1 table open.

With a lot of tables its more counterproductive because i start miss actions of other players 😅 and sometimes i do stupid s**it while being high. Like overbet bluffing callstations or other creative bs 😆

(if u are not a seasoned weed consumer then its not recommend while playing. U will LOOSE)

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to play to music, it helps me a lot👍

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Before sitting down for poker, make sure to take care of any business that needs to be taken cared off so there will be no disruptions during the game. Clear the mind of worries then reg online or live, ready to play.

For live tournaments, I sit on the table 10-15 minutes before tourney start & quietly meditate to refocus my mind on tourney strat as I believe my default game is cash game. Recalibrate those fold, call, & raise ranges. Ready to play.
Taking care of any lingering tasks beforehand helps ensure your focus remains solely on the game at hand, minimizing potential distractions. And your approach to live tournaments, taking a few moments to center yourself and recalibrate your strategies, shows a commitment to adaptability and maximizing your chances of success in different formats.

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A break of week from poker.

Ogma

Ogma

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
If it's an important game and I haven't played for a while, I'll warm up with some low stakes poker first.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually i have breakfast first, listen to some music that calms me, then i attach the game!

Top 10 Games