What helps you prepare to play your A-game?

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you prepare for a poker session ? This could be physical or mental preparation, or organizing snacks or music. Does it differ for you when it's a cash game vs and tournament? Or an online game vs. live?

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I play poker only when I know that I have the time for a deep run. I never start a session when I know that I have something to do the next 4 hours for example ( I play mostly MTT).
It may sound weird but I never play a single table because this thing drops my performance by making me impatient. This may not work for other players though. Exercise and a good night sleep the previous day it's out of the question a mandatory priority for your performance.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker only when I know that I have the time for a deep run. I never start a session when I know that I have something to do the next 4 hours for example ( I play mostly MTT).
It may sound weird but I never play a single table because this thing drops my performance by making me impatient. This may not work for other players though. Exercise and a good night sleep the previous day it's out of the question a mandatory priority for your performance.
playing more than one table is key. don't over think things and stick with the plan!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
First of all, I'll get some sleep before playing poker, then have a delicious drink of water and finish my business calmly after I have no work left. I find time to play poker and play without anything to distract me, I try to do everything before the poker game, then they just play and enjoy the game

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to be well rested before starting the session.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I only play online and I only play in tournaments. I don't play cash games. In general, I have no prior preparation for the game. For me, the main thing is just to have free time and a good mood, these are the two main components that I need to have a good time :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It does not matter if it is live or online as I tend to do the same things. I attempt to get a good nights sleep in the night before.

Before i play I like to make sure I am fully fed so I wont get to hungry. If it will be a long session online or live I tend to have some snacks with m to eat and have water. Nothing hurts my mindset more than getting hungry and cant stop to get food.

Before I sit down to play I do like to meditate before I play. If i can get myself 15 to 30 minutes of this in I am usually in a great state of mind and very mellow and relaxed. If I start in a good place I will almost never go on tilt.

Once I start playing and again this is both live and online, i turn on my mediation music. This will usually keep me in a very relaxed state of mind and body. The one surprise to me was it also helped in my concentration in the game. I find when listing to this music over no music or something else my mind tends to wander more.

I do tend to follow this on both cash and tournaments but I do tend to just play tournaments most of the time.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
sleep check
food check
hydration check
shower check

D

dlstein

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you prepare for a poker session ? This could be physical or mental preparation, or organizing snacks or music. Does it differ for you when it's a cash game vs and tournament? Or an online game vs. live?

i ONLY play freerolls on wsop.com online and try to watch something on TV that's either comedy or music. have made approximately $365 in the last year.

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Block out all the extra stuff and watch your opponents play.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I don't have some sort of preparation, but it helps to be in a quiet place and remain calm the moments before a big tourney

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Maintain a good exercise and eating routine, always take a shower before grinding, and keep everything organized so that I can stay 100% focused on the grind.

NSX_Amfe2nat

NSX_Amfe2nat

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Good mental state before every session

Last edited by a moderator:
andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
restful sleep like when you were a child

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips

Afternoon nap for live cash games is a must (for me)!
I'm not going to play anything live/ online if I'm not feel in the "mood" for poker...
Doesn't have "problem" with organizing snacks or playlists before game - but, my belly has to be full (fat woman lives inside me)! 😀

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sleep well is essential, but I also noticed that on days I go to the gym after a good night of sleep, I also have better results on poker.

Kashmir

Kashmir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
First and foremost is play on the computer!!! It feels more comfortable and I have a larger screen and my mouse to bet with... rather than using a smartphone and fingers... Also I totally agree with the others that if you want a good result/finish. Then make sure you have the time to do so.

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Rest and a correct mindset to achieve the final table

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't have any sacred rituals. Lately I've been playing cash game zoom, so what I do is open just one table at the beginning. I only open more tables after a certain time.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes, I make myself sandwiches ahead of time, just in case :) But mostly all my preparation starts with a cup or two of coffee.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no helping my poker game ! If I get lucky , or at least dont get unlucky , I have a chance . Unfortunately there are too many strong players nowadays .

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Strange that I say it, I am in total chaos between work, wife, family, my children, and the family where I come from. I don't have enough time for certain rituals or taboos. I don't realize how time flies , especially my free time in which my mind is on what I will do with the team tomorrow at work, on the projects I am responsible for, or what I am going to do for the family at home. So before a game maybe,I already have some alcohol, to rest easier at night, or maybe I would even like a good sleep and give up the game.
However, here I am breaking from my routine and occupations. So I'm not doing anything special because I'm going to play something specific.

Top 10 Games