What do you think of poker at the olympics?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well it would be interesting . lol :D

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the olympics should have phyiscal skills needed , I do not
think poker is a phyiscal sport, do you?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In your opinion, it turns out that the participants of the Olympic movement should not respect us, people playing poker? It’s not good. In football or hockey, goals are not always straightforward either. And feints and false swings are not reminiscent of maneuvers at the poker table. How about luck in the form of an own goal or a pass to an opponent in your own goalkeeper area? Let's not be so unambiguous. Change the chips to laurel leaves and go. The main thing is not victory, the main thing is participation!

What I clearly said was that I would lose respect for the International Olympic Committee.

You then state 'in my opinion' the Olympic movement should not respect poker players. Do not put words in my mouth. The IOC rejects sports for consideration periodically. It has nothing to do with the Olympics 'not respecting' the sport but whether they think it fit for the Olympics.

I understand there's a language issue and this would not be the first time some replying in English as a second language has either misunderstood a post or felt they could take liberties to define what I/another poster actually said- but that does not make it cool. Further those in general who casually advocate for poker at the Olympics seldom appear to have done any research on the matter, which is ridiculous as vast amounts of information on the Olympic selection process is available.

If you had bothered. you would know the IOC has stringent criteria which must be met before a 'sport' can be brought into the games. The IOC has already stated they are not in favor of including 'brain games' in the Olympics. There are complex guidelines - whether sports are played by men or women across a majority of nations (for men the figures is approx 75% of nations). How about legality? This would be the point when you remember gambling and poker are technically illegal in numerous states and territories around the world. Why on earth do you think the IOC would bring a game into the Olympics which many of their own members had banned???

We have not even stepped into the weeds.

For the IOC to declare poker a sport (step one of many) it would only be because poker was already being governed by an international body (a prerequisite by the IOC). Which international governing body would that be? The one that does not exist? Then, if declared as a sport under consideration the governing body (the one that does not exist) would then have to agree to anti- doping protocols.

So, do you envision a world where Olympic anti-doping agents will be allowed to rock up to wsop or EPT or WPT events to conduct random drug tests? Do you think the likes of a Bryn Kenney, Stephen Chidwick or Alex Foxen are going to be happy with someone showing at the PokerGo studios for some blood samples?

Well that is what athletes go through -see Sha'Carri Richardson

If the IOC reversed long held positions and traditions regarding inclusion and allowed the likes of poker, or Leagues of Legends or competitive drone flying into the Olympic Games, yes I would lose respect for them.

That is what I said and meant.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great question

This would be very interesting as their would be no money involved just to represent your country would be an honor. Question is who decides what players will represent. Capo1014

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the point to be discussed, why can't we have poker or chess in the olympics?
I think it's too early to talk about this! After all, poker is not yet recognized as a sport in all countries, but over time I think we will still come to this!

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker in the Olympics is the best... It's is the dream.

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker has never been a sport, if you sit on a chair and try to catch your luck, is it a sport? do not make me laugh

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt that poker will ever be part of an Olympics, it does not fit within the parameters, it seems to me that it would be something very crazy if this happens

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a serious post? There is no comparison between the Olympics and poker. One is an athletic activity and the other a game.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all, the olympic spirit comes from amateurism, competing for the spirit of athleticism and sports, not for any financial prize, or reward for that matter. It comes from the sweat of the athletes, their willingness to excerss most stress, not only on their minds, but also their muscles, and pressure. Thats why you don't see baccarat, roulette, nor Rummy at the olympics. How would you feel seeing a poker player rolling a dub before a game? ordering Whisky on Rocks, or a Long Island Iced Tea, because that would be absurd, wouldn't it?

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Olympics.

Chess already has its own league, FIDE, which is in charge of organizing that, that's why there are no soccer Olympics because of FIFA.
On the other hand, I consider poker that the ATTP, the world series of poker, already has its leagues and how it is already organized in that way is not considered in the Olympics. ;)

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see poker at the olympics the same way I would see chess in the olympics, however the latter is much more likely to be inducted. I think it would be fun to see more mainstream poker, but the olympics is not the answer, especially if your country's representative gets knocked out because of bad luck instead of inferior skill. Too much variance to be honest.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it has to do with the problem of gambling, people who do not know about poker tend to see it as something unprofessional and even sometimes illegal, hopefully in some not too distant future this concept may change and we can see poker games at the olympic level lol, Regards.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

it might be a good idea to use poker in the olympics, but it's a gamble and not everyone will like it.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think they will do it cuz its a form of gambling

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be a huge thing for poker to be an Olympic game. You imagine the best players in the world representing their countries for that gold medal. I would die to see those moments.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be great to look at the best players in each country, compete for medals and world rankings ,, excellent proposal that as we already know that poker is a game of various alternatives, I would call it as ,,,, game of competitive strategies of the poker ,, the question and why not ???? The proposal is alternative but it is reasonable that it can come true ,,, it would give a further nuance of confidence in poker ,, game of strategies, mental, and luck as in all sports ,,,, dreams that many of us long for That they can be real ,,, dreaming and believing is moments of the human being ,,, wanting to compete ,,,, luck friends, hopefully in the short term it becomes a reality ,,, patience, only the rivers are not returned ,, it is possible, ,,, jjjjjjj

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be an interesting game. I would love to watch it.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hahaha. Poker should be an Olympic game and it would be very competitive. It is not a bad idea to implement it:D

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Several years ago there was a televised nation v nation poker event. Team players, time outs for strategy meetings, etc. It was pretty interesting and could be a format to use. Might have been Poker Nations Cup?

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Only power sports are present at the Olympics, the online poker world championship would be interesting

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would enjoy watching poker at the Olympics, but it would take some time for sure. It would be fun to watch but I don't know if we have all the time allotted.

Beatlebug