What do you think of poker at the olympics?

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We should rather have a special "Brain-Olympics" for these games, that would be fun

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Olympics mantra is all about physical skills competitions. One could argue that poker would have a stamina and mental endurance component but the physical challenges of poker would not meet the standard. And then the 'luck' part cancels out the guarantee of the gold medal win for that player with the best skills on competition day.

Shooting, archery, horseback riding, golf, surfing, climbing...

Where shooting and archery have to do only with the athlete's physical situation and not with luck. I know you don't agree and I would have many arguments to try to persuade me, but you won't be able to change my mind.

And thank you for your opinion. I can understand and respect it

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Stronger, higher, faster, nothing of this applies to poker. So I think there's no place for any cards or board games in the Olympics. But it would be very funny to see some bellies, glasses, white hair and drinks in the games.

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
man, I find it interesting, maybe there was a problem regarding the prize, who would pay for example? but I see an interesting movement, many sports coming in, like skate surfing, sports that are really practiced by people, and that is really interesting to be seen, I don't know anyone who practices decathlon for example, but it's the Olympics...

I really appreciated your argument, man...

Good point. I don't know anyone who practices decathlon too? And who watches the decathlon?

But focusing on poker, the prize can be a medal, why not?

Football players play in the Olympics because of that. And they play at their own clubs for the money.

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker would not be a good fit for the olympics unless it consists of at least 100k hand games. The entire point of the olympics is that the better athlete wins. Firstly you have to ask; are poker and chess players really athletes? Then poker would be too random, although at least the chess winner would be quite likely to be the best player.

I think your argument is not too good.

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker in the Olympics would be so fun to watch. Having players like Tony G, Ivey and Daniel N. duking it out while representing their country would be awesome to see. Honestly, this idea really excites me and if it ever came to fruition I would be sure to watch it.

That's exactly what I was talking about: a crazy idea and an amazing thing to watch...

Thanks man

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is a sport and a gamble at the same time. But still, I believe that poker deserves to be an Olympic sport. I think that in the future poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport, at least I would very much like that.

Glad to hear (or read) you.

I think that if surfing or golf can be Olympic sports why not poker?

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This would be the third time this matter has been raised in a couple of months and each time the majority have said no -not likely at all.

I can't be bothered to explain, yet again, why it is not a good idea and unlikely to ever happen....it just isn't.

And further, as a poker player I would lose respect for the Olympics if they did invite poker into the games.

Nice. Don't feel obligated to answer each time this question is raised. Even because the world keeps turning regardless of your opinion about whether poker is integrated into the Olympic games or not.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
discipline for the Olympics. I see it quite difficult. the years will pass and it will be seen

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It doesn't combine poker with the olympics, the olympics have a more magical meaning.
At the end of the races, as the athletes reach the end, the emotion, vibration and expectation are sensational.
The Olympics is another catch and honestly doesn't go with poker.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nice. Don't feel obligated to answer each time this question is raised. Even because the world keeps turning regardless of your opinion about whether poker is integrated into the Olympic games or not.

Funny to see your replies get pettier and pettier as people disagreed with you.

Lesson to learn- if you ask for opinions and most do not agree with you, perhaps you need to step back and think your position through. Dismissing people sarcastically after you initiated the dialogue isn't a good look.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think that's where it belongs. Olympics it's mainly athletics.

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny to see your replies get pettier and pettier as people disagreed with you.

Lesson to learn- if you ask for opinions and most do not agree with you, perhaps you need to step back and think your position through. Dismissing people sarcastically after you initiated the dialogue isn't a good look.

You are totally wrong about me, sir. Why don't you step back and think about your comment? I just kept the intensity of love. But if you're sad or angry, I want to apologize and say I didn't mean to. I thought you would understand my comment as I understood yours.

And I respect your opinion and believe that you will forgive me today and forever because I see Jesus in your writing

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Poker is not a sport so has nothing to do with the Olympics.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No I don't think that poker will be in the Olympics one day because it's a game of mental concentration and stamina. If they found a way to make it more exciting for spectators then I believe that it definitely would be in one day.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think it would have a place at the Olympics. It won't be for quite a few years. Esports will appear at the Olympics sooner! (Within 5 years). However, the Olympic Games are moving in such a direction that I think there will definitely be poker in 15 years.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think poker is an Olympic game. Unless they come up with an esports type Olympiad and include online poker, I’m doubting I will see poker become a n Olympic event.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are totally wrong about me, sir. Why don't you step back and think about your comment? I just kept the intensity of love. But if you're sad or angry, I want to apologize and say I didn't mean to. I thought you would understand my comment as I understood yours.

And I respect your opinion and believe that you will forgive me today and forever because I see Jesus in your writing

Thanks for the open reply, it is appreciated.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it may come true someday in the future

phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I don't see Poker as an Olimpic game.I think Poker makes part of a different atmosphere.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my mind, poker doesn't fit the true definition of "sport". But I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Olympic competition. For instance, I'm not the biggest fan of professional athletes competing in the Olympic games. But that, of course, brings up the debate about what should be considered a "professional" athlete, and that opens up a whole other can of worms.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And further, as a poker player I would lose respect for the Olympics if they did invite poker into the games.

In your opinion, it turns out that the participants of the Olympic movement should not respect us, people playing poker? It’s not good. In football or hockey, goals are not always straightforward either. And feints and false swings are not reminiscent of maneuvers at the poker table. How about luck in the form of an own goal or a pass to an opponent in your own goalkeeper area? Let's not be so unambiguous. Change the chips to laurel leaves and go. The main thing is not victory, the main thing is participation!