What do you think of poker at the olympics?

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is the point to be discussed, why can't we have poker or chess in the olympics?

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is the point to be discussed, why can't we have poker or chess in the olympics?

I think this is not the discipline of the Olympic Games. All the same, there are disciplines related specifically to physical education and body development. :jd4::):jd4:

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Said it before in another thread and will say it again...ABSOLUTELY NOT. Poker has too much luck involved and to compare the training vs a true sport is incomprehensible. I could see chess but poker definitely not. While we are at it, let’s have bingo as an Olympic sport too.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think Olympics mantra is all about physical skills competitions. One could argue that poker would have a stamina and mental endurance component but the physical challenges of poker would not meet the standard. And then the 'luck' part cancels out the guarantee of the gold medal win for that player with the best skills on competition day.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

it would be great if poker is in the olympic games !!! They would have to take it as a sport ...

V

Vinao182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, I find it interesting, maybe there was a problem regarding the prize, who would pay for example? but I see an interesting movement, many sports coming in, like skate surfing, sports that are really practiced by people, and that is really interesting to be seen, I don't know anyone who practices decathlon for example, but it's the Olympics...

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first it needs to get legalized in many countries I guess... like USA, Russia (partly)

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker would not be a good fit for the olympics unless it consists of at least 100k hand games. The entire point of the olympics is that the better athlete wins. Firstly you have to ask; are poker and chess players really athletes? Then poker would be too random, although at least the chess winner would be quite likely to be the best player.

J

JOHNNYROD143

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought of this but its a crazy good idea

I think poker in the Olympics would be so fun to watch. Having players like Tony G, Ivey and Daniel N. duking it out while representing their country would be awesome to see. Honestly, this idea really excites me and if it ever came to fruition I would be sure to watch it.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think poker is a sport and a gamble at the same time. But still, I believe that poker deserves to be an Olympic sport. I think that in the future poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport, at least I would very much like that.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know a lot of people consider poker as sport, but I just can't see poker this way, so, I don't see a reason to poker be at Olympics. I think poker would have a good audience, but chess definitely would not.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This would be the third time this matter has been raised in a couple of months and each time the majority have said no -not likely at all.

I can't be bothered to explain, yet again, why it is not a good idea and unlikely to ever happen....it just isn't.

And further, as a poker player I would lose respect for the Olympics if they did invite poker into the games.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker takes a long time to get down to a final 9 table. I wouldn't mind seeing it as an olympic sport but I think there is too much time constraints.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if poker were included in the list of Olympic Games it would be cool! Well, personally, I would be very interested in watching this, but I understand that this will never happen since in poker luck does not play an important role compared to other types of Olympic Games! And besides, poker is not legalized in all countries!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think they should be looking to add sports, they just almost got rid of wrestling.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, because historically after previous scandals, the Olympics Games are being presented as a return to the Olympian ideals; integrity and fair play.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It wont happen. The Olympics are sporting event and while poker is a lot of fun and is a great mind game, its really not a sport.

This being said, how many people would honestly go and play if there was no money involved. I know many would but would the best in the world go? I dont know.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I believe that poker is not a sport. Poker is more like gambling. But still, poker is my favorite hobby. In my opinion, poker is unlikely to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker is not a sport. Poker is more like gambling. But still, poker is my favorite hobby. In my opinion, poker is unlikely to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

Hey buddy.

I like to think of poker as the sport of the mind.

Anyone who sees poker as gambling sees the game in the wrong way and may not extract the benefits that a well-thought-out and strategic style of play can provide.

But I understand and respect who has a different opinion.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker isn't a sport... In any sport luck participates with realy small percentages, and in poker its much bigger!

A

Ale_Sander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It wont happen. The Olympics are sporting event and while poker is a lot of fun and is a great mind game, its really not a sport.

This being said, how many people would honestly go and play if there was no money involved. I know many would but would the best in the world go? I dont know.

Perhaps many professional players are interested in the spread and acceptance of poker as a profession. Like any other sport.

Football, for example, is a fun way to compete. You train your skills and, at game time, the chances of a shot hitting the goal are similar to playing poker.

There is a bit of luck involved. The ball can deflect someone and mislead the goalkeeper, you can kick wrong and the ball goes out, or you can kick really well and the ball go into the angle.

See, it's all a matter of point of view and how we work the information. When the volleyball player hits the ball, no one knows if it will fall in or out of line.

Is it a gambling too? Can the volleyball player define exactly where the ball will land?

But I can understand and respect all opinions.

I think this is not the discipline of the Olympic Games. All the same, there are disciplines related specifically to physical education and body development. :jd4::):jd4:

What about the development of the mind?

Dont know/care how long casual chess game lasts but i'd imagine with poker it is quite simple assuming it do not fit into 2h timeframe lol ...

But do you at least consider this possibility?

Said it before in another thread and will say it again...ABSOLUTELY NOT. Poker has too much luck involved and to compare the training vs a true sport is incomprehensible. I could see chess but poker definitely not. While we are at it, let’s have bingo as an Olympic sport too.

I don't believe you can compare poker to bingo. Do you really think of poker as just a matter of luck? No strategy?

Last edited by a moderator: