What do you think about this quote from Daniel Negreanu?

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would look at this as a chance to move up in the rankings. To be the best you have to beat the best.

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think at a table of the best 5 players, there is no true "sucker." I get the sentiment, but on any given day any one of those 5 could run the table or end up burning through 6 buy in and going home.

If I was, in fact, the 5th best player in the world, that would NOT be the first time I say with 1-4. Maybe not all at once, but surely I'd have experience with each. I be happy to play and see how the session shook out. Some days I'd leave ahead and others behind. At that level, I'm not losing my whole roll.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's technically right with that statement but I think since so many people are playing at an extreme level now (I imagine it's likely more than 5 playing at the top percentile) the winrate difference between the placings would be negligible and they wouldn't be able to play long enough in their lifetimes to properly realize their slight edges.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Daniel wants to say that it's a great honor to be at the table with the biggest players.

D

DenPit

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling

I would say it's not as it's entertainment for me to play with top 5 best players...what's your thoughts?

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the premise, but if you are in the top 5, it is a crap shoot as to who is the sucker.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are the 5th best player in the world you are FAR from a sucker, even compared to the top 4. But I get what hes saying.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, this is pure truth. I believe that every player should be able to critically evaluate the opponents and the situation at the table as a whole.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a good 1..imo numbers dont matter as much as cash because if u win that game yr still probably ranked 5th..

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If professional players like Daniel play at the table, it is difficult to judge which one is the best before the end of the game. Luck is a variable component, and until the end of the tournament, we do not know exactly which of them will be lucky today.

WeBeMerkinEm

WeBeMerkinEm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that in poker there is no such thing as the best player out of 5. Daniel is certainly good as his job, but there are a lot of players better. You can not choose the best only by the number of prizes.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are the 5th best player in the world, of course this is great, but if you sit at the table with 4 players who play you much better, then you are a weak player compared to them. I agree with him. A quote about what needs to be strived to become the best player in the world.

G

gazdagleszek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

As I am not pro i would be proud that I am number 5 and can play with the best of the best but also it is luck not only strategy so never knows

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He earned his game the right to make such statements.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's right, and it means nothing. Day in, say out, the least at the table takes home the trophy. There are many factors to winning cash or tournys.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's a total exaggeration in real life there are no difference between the 4th and 5th (if there are really a 4th and 5th, do you know what i mean?)