What do you think about this quote from Daniel Negreanu?

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get what he's trying to say but I don't agree with it if we take it at face value.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that Negreanu refers to a lesson in humility here, you can think of yourself as a better poker player than 99% of others, but in the end, you will always find better players than you so you should better concentrate on being a good and humble player in instead of wanting to become famous and make a fool of yourself at a certain moment.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
In a certain way, yes, but you should not self-appreciate against anyone or in any situation, because when you put yourself at the table with the best 4 of the world and say you want the fool from there you start badly since you should appreciate yourself and say they are all equal to me

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion,there is no real difference between 5th or first in the world.They would all have the same chance at that table.Fully understand the meaning of the statement of course,i guess that little bit of extra pressure from the knowledge of it could make a difference so its hard to argue with all the same.

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really a case of simple math. I'm not sure what else to say about it. If you are the 5th best player and the top 4 are seated with you then technically you're the sucker, but not really. Like many things in life there are multiple ways you can interpret scenarios like this.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a basic rule of poker! No need to play with the best players sebya-- it is not necessary to search for the weak football players!

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That quote sucks :))I am not the best player but that literally made me feel bad about sitting down playing . I love the game but that made me feel like a sucker.:damnmate:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are two ways of looking at it.

You can look at it and base your skill against the other 4 people sitting at the table and deem yourself (at best) a small dog in that game and know a games variance could still make you a winner even though you are a likely target for the group.

The other way to look at the statement is. The only people better than me are all at this table! I can move to another table and avoid all the people likely to beat me!

Its ok to have another player make you look a sucker from time to time, but don't make a sucker out of yourself when you can easily make your own situation better.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the quote holds true on both literal and metaphorical levels. In poker, as in life, one needs to keep his guard up at all times.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Becoming better playing poker against best players than you is a too much expensive lesson.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, the All CardsChat Community! About Daniel Negreanu's statement I want to say next:
I think, that our human life so works, that in the any kind of our activity, including and Poker:jd4:,
the all time, until You are alive, need to proof, that You are best, if You want to be a best!
Otherwise, your place take another, who want to be a first more, than You... Therefore, in the generally,
I'm agree with the Daniel Negreanu.:rolleyes::cool:

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol I like this quote, feel this way when I play FORTNITE

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's right, the best you can do when you are playing against better players than you is to hope they make some mistake so you can capitalize over it

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Logic and good sense are in support of Daniel's statement no doubt. However, when it comes to poker, the most skilful player could lose to an amateur any time. Daniel said it himself after he lost to Rafael Nadal in Prague :).

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only the game will put everyone in their places. Well, various statements are psychological pressure. To win, all methods are acceptable.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think what Daniel meant was that no matter how tough a player you are, there are always better guys to sit down with and play at the same table is not worth it =)))

Watcheman

Watcheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"You could be the 5th best player in the world, but if you are seated at a table with the top 4 players in the world, well, you are the sucker." (Daniel Negreanu)

https://twitter.com/CardsChat/status/1186930661564784640?s=09
I think the main idea is that YOU MUST BE FIRST player in the world!!! I think Daniel meant this - development.
Constantly evolve and then they will feel fifth. But you must think only about yourself and not of them. Then your brain will be calm and clean.

B

bronson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm always the sucker because I only enter pots with quality hands.....

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

i think he means the rest are going to be trying to play you but you still have the exact same chance of winning they do

R

rhv85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are at that level, each persons skill level shouldnt be that much of a difference

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you are at the final table you have to adjust your playing

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's on obvious but true statement. Don't sit at a table where the players are better than you or you will lose money!