What do you think about the movie - Rounders (1998) now?

S

seymourflopsws3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Rounders it is an ace film BUT....
The Johnny Chan story is JUST Mike LYING!
He sits down at the $300/600 with 10BB ($6000)...
He folded mostly...(so we should now assume he has less than 10BB but we'll give him benefit of the doubt)
Johnny Chan raises ($1800 min 3xBB)
Mike re-reaises with rags ($3600 if its a MIN RAISE!!!!)
Johnny comes over the top ($7200 if its ALSO a MIN RAISE?!?!?!)
NOTE: Mike now doesn't have enough to call without the dealer returning chips to Chan....
Mike hesitates for 2 seconds and re-reaises Chan with TOTAL AIR!!!!
Chan makes a move to his chips indicating strength when all he had to do was turn them on their back?? AND MUCKS FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!?????

WHAT A NIT!!!!!!!!I MEAN THOSE POT odds HAVE GOT TO BE GOOD LMAO!!!!!

;)

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like the movie,, I'll watch it every once in awhile,, get a few grins out of some of the remarks by KGB,,,

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I just started playing poker in 2010, I understand it much more now than if i saw it 1998, donkeys fish, wtf are those

Hanagis

Hanagis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i loved that movie, i just started to play and happened to come across it last month or so. Do they ever have a run of bad luck or what. if u havnt seen it. i say watch it!!!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I still don't know why Gramma was pissed that Mike won at the end. If Mike lost he wasn't going to get any of the money owed to him. Did he really wanna beat Mike up that bad? I thought Gramma hated worm , but has a sort of mutual respect for Mike McD.
Also funny at the end when they start with 10,000 dollars each, with blinds at 25-50. Mike raises to $1,000 with KK (lol) then KGB re-raises to $5,000 (lol) then mike moves all in and KGB folds (lol). that wasnt a very realistic hand unless KGB really was a complete moron. KGB coulda folded to the $1,000 preflop raise and saved himself 4,950 in chips
Pretty sure he was priced in, LOL.

I just watched this movie again the other night as I was flicking through the channels and there it was.
Still couldn't stand 'Worm' (although he does remind me of many players I know) & zero respect for Mike for not bitch-slapping Worm.
I think they could've made some of the actual play a tiny bit more realistic (like come on.. at least do your homework on representing a hand).

Personally I much preferred the 'Euro version'.... way too funny (tks. for posting that marg)

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i watched Rounders a couple of years back, think it was a decent movie overall. Looking forward to more poker movies :)

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still watch Rounders every once in a while. It is the best poker movie ever made even if it is not completely realistic in some parts.

Extreme Fishing

Extreme Fishing

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm like you creds. If I am bored I pull out the dvd and give it a watch. I love Matt Damon and Ed Norton anyway so it is a good mix.

ChiTownRon

ChiTownRon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been a while since I last watched Rounders. I'm really looking forward to the 2nd one that will be coming out in the next year or two. From what I read, the whole main cast will be returning, which is awesome. Going to be interesting how the movie turns out considering how much Poker and online poker has changed over the years since the first one came out.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been a while since I last watched Rounders. I'm really looking forward to the 2nd one that will be coming out in the next year or two. From what I read, the whole main cast will be returning, which is awesome. Going to be interesting how the movie turns out considering how much Poker and online poker has changed over the years since the first one came out.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the sequel, they have been "talking" about that for years and imo it's all speculation. There isn't even a real pre-development page on IMDB for it.

ChiTownRon

ChiTownRon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't hold your breath on the sequel, they have been "talking" about that for years and imo it's all speculation. There isn't even a real pre-development page on IMDB for it.

Just because IMDB doesn't have a pre-development page, doesn't mean it won't happen. lol. Damon and Norton said they want to do it and so did the director John Dahl. That being said there really should be no reason not to make it. Might not be out soon, but I believe this movie will happen. I'd assume a '13 or '14 release date.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this son of a bitch , all night with his check check check

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Rounders it is an ace film BUT....
The Johnny Chan story is JUST Mike LYING!
He sits down at the $300/600 with 10BB ($6000)...
He folded mostly...(so we should now assume he has less than 10BB but we'll give him benefit of the doubt)
Johnny Chan raises ($1800 min 3xBB)
Mike re-reaises with rags ($3600 if its a MIN RAISE!!!!)
Johnny comes over the top ($7200 if its ALSO a MIN RAISE?!?!?!)
NOTE: Mike now doesn't have enough to call without the dealer returning chips to Chan....
Mike hesitates for 2 seconds and re-reaises Chan with TOTAL AIR!!!!
Chan makes a move to his chips indicating strength when all he had to do was turn them on their back?? AND MUCKS FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!?????

WHAT A NIT!!!!!!!!I MEAN THOSE POT ODDS HAVE GOT TO BE GOOD LMAO!!!!!

;)

It was limit. Still Chan never gonna 3b/fold preflop in limit lol

seqas

seqas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love that movie :) very good! does anyone know if there is more of such movies out there? not looking for documentary or some like it if there was anyy doubts :p , just movies. could be cool if any knew some and maybe would pm me the names since i dont think that it so good posting them here :)

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best bit poker wise is when he gate crashes his university tutor's private game and explains the hands.

C

ChipTowerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@ Rounders will always be a good movie.
watch it atleast once a year everyone!

$ChipTowerz$

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shouldn't dig up this old thread, but I will.

"Rounders" is absolutely my favorite movie. Even if the details don't make sense entirely. This is one of the reasons I took an interest in poker. I watch this movie frequently to get me motivated to go play live poker (and play my best). It helps me immensely.

I love everything about the movie, except the cheating with Mike and Worm.

It is a movie, and after all, fiction. The 20x bet from Mike during the final HU showdown with KGB doesn't have to make sense to be entertaining.

Also, the scene with the judges playing 7-stud - unlikely they would all fold. But who cares? It was just trying to show how good Mike is at reading opponents.

There is no better poker movie than this one. Someone needs to make a new poker movie - but this one will do for now.

Maybe from an analytical standpoint the movie is far fetched in some aspects. However, it sure is entertaining, regardless of this.

fasteddee74

fasteddee74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My all time favorite movie. Seen it dozens and dozens of times. My favorite quote from the movie, "In the poker game of life women are the rake."

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My all time favorite movie. Seen it dozens and dozens of times. My favorite quote from the movie, "In the poker game of life women are the rake."

"Listen - here's the thing: If you can't spot the sucker if your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker."

That is my favorite quote in the movie. Opening line.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol I love the follow-up to the women are the rake quote even more.

"what are you talking about? What saying?"

"I don't know, there oughta be one."

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The movie has the same effect as when I first seen it. I have a friend that is just like worm in the movie.. My friend doesnt play poker but always has made wrong decision in his life but plays the tough man attitude that everything is ok.. We have even seperate like in the movie where each of us has gone there own way. So everytime I see the movie, I ask around about my friend.. and yep things are still the same.

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the quote that makes me think of my friend the most is this one... this is exactly how he is..
Mike McDermott: You comin' up?
Lester 'Worm' Murphy: No, I've been standin' out here all this time just to say hi.
Mike McDermott: All right, listen, things haven't been that smooth on the homefront so, you know, tone it down a little, all right?
Lester 'Worm' Murphy: Tone done what, mother****er?

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked the movie, but I think it could've been done better. For instance I would've use some real pros in their early days, and then lead up to their world championships. Some one like Johnny Chan. ect... Along with some side stories about girlfriends, family's. ect....