Texas hold'em or omaha?

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play hold'em. Once I tried to play Omaha and other types of poker. All the same, I like Hold'em more.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I play mostly Texas Hold-em. I am trying to work on my Omaha game as find it to be more exciting. The variance certainly seems to be higher, but also easier to see who understands the game of Omaha from those that do not.

Having read through all the posts on this thread including the one I've quoted, I'm picking up more evidence to support a theory I've held for a while, that a player wanting to build up a bankroll from micro stakes upwards might very well be better off learning the fundamentals of Omaha and grinding that format, rather than Texas, because it seems easier to find and exploit fish/inexperienced players at Omaha tables, and a higher percentage of players at Omaha tables seem to be absolute beginners (at Omaha) who are just dipping their toes into those waters for a bit of a break from Texas.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having read through all the posts on this thread including the one I've quoted, I'm picking up more evidence to support a theory I've held for a while, that a player wanting to build up a bankroll from micro stakes upwards might very well be better off learning the fundamentals of Omaha and grinding that format, rather than Texas, because it seems easier to find and exploit fish/inexperienced players at Omaha tables, and a higher percentage of players at Omaha tables seem to be absolute beginners (at Omaha) who are just dipping their toes into those waters for a bit of a break from Texas.

Agreed, which is why I am looking to learn this game. I have really focused lately on preflop hand selection and the importance of having cards that allow you to play multiple types of boards. I feel, and know I was a victim of these too when I started, that many players will get two of the four cards that would make a good hold-em starting hand, but really limit your post flop opportunities since you must use two cards in your hand. You really want to have at least 3 hole cards that can be used before seeing a flop.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, which is why I am looking to learn this game. I have really focused lately on preflop hand selection and the importance of having cards that allow you to play multiple types of boards. I feel, and know I was a victim of these too when I started, that many players will get two of the four cards that would make a good hold-em starting hand, but really limit your post flop opportunities since you must use two cards in your hand. You really want to have at least 3 hole cards that can be used before seeing a flop.

Yeah, that's excellent starting advice, I've come a cropper that way myself a few times in the past - having hole cards where using just one of them would make the nuts with 4 of the community cards, but having to use 2 from the pocket significantly weakened the best hand I could make. In fact when first playing Omaha I forgot that rule far more often than I'd like to admit, so I reckon there are probably plenty of other Omaha beginners making that similar mistake after seeing the river card.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi the ALL! Me like PL Omaha: very interesting, exciting and the same time
very difficult and unpredictable game! But unfortunately I'm play in PL Omaha
is not often, since, first of all, not many tournaments by PL Omaha, and secondly
is not enough time for more detail learning this kind of Poker... But I hope
in the future catch up! So that to be continued for me!;):cool::D

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like hold'em more, but sometimes I can play Omaha.

T

torito22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer Holdem. But I like Omaha too.​

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a much better texas holdem player than I am omaha. Although I do really enjoy omaha hi lo. And I am a much better texas holdem tournament player than I am a cash game player for whatever reason. I enjoy O8 tourneys, cash game seems to be a waste of time with so many split pots and the rake. Just my experience.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha

I enjoy both holdem and Omaha but prefer Omaha. Like playing HI/LO but prefer playing 7 card stud as it seems to bring bigger pots with there being no split pots.

Playing with friends seems Holdem is the game as some don't play Omaha often enough to truly understand the game and when to bet and more important when to fold. Love playing when "chasers" are at the table to build the pot :))))))))

Good luck to all at the table game of your choice!

Cheers :D

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer holdem obviously, because I understand nothing at play omaha, I still have confidence that my hand is the best but I always lose, so my favorite is holdem,

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I play holdem, I think more predictable but sometimes I play Omaha parties, relaxing. :))

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not explain why, but I prefer holdem, I think because of the fact that I started my poker game with holdem

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Five six years ago at poker stars it was possible to try playing 10 varieties of poker, (stud, Irish, 5 card draw, etc.)

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy Omaha but I'm told it has really high variance which probably doesn't suit my very tight game. Got splatted last month playing omaha to complete a task. Got it all in on the turn both times with the best hand and got wiped out both times :(

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play Omaha sometimes to switch it up. I usually do pretty poorly though so I try to stick to NLHE. I went far in a freeroll Omaha tournament once and ended up losing it all in a set over set situation!

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both holdem and omaha. So i don't have a preference. I do find pokerstars plays more holdem than omaha but that doesn't bother me. I just enjoy both versions of the game.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i'm trying to learn how to play texas holdem by popularity, the big tournaments, the flow in the big halls really invite us to texas, when i think i learned texas i want to start understanding better amaha

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also like more the omaha, especially when playing cash.

B

BrazilBrazil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem game I know better. I'm not used to it enough.

B

brufera03

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer texas hold'em poker. jah bless !

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still prefer Hold Em but I am studying and learning omaha as well as I know its the next logical progression. I love the $1 Omaholic tournament at GGPoker as its a cheap way to brush up your game. Been running pretty good there late November and hope to continue through the rest of the year.

Just about every player was super agrotardy tonight. I raised in position a decent amount but mostly played passively and bluff caught.

Attachments

• GG 1 omaha 1of 54  for 17.jpg
    GG 1 omaha 1of 54 for 17.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 18
D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
holdem is my fist love but play omaha hi /lo when i can.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing holdem for awhile so I play holdem as my choice of game.