Study Finds Poker Players Unhealthy

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu does seem like the only model pro to relate to out there. Eats healthy, speaks his mind, gives his time to the fans, and gets bad beat at higher stakes!

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the study is right relating to me lol

Fishpicker13

Fishpicker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, health is important but I'm trying to develop a bankroll. Priorities man! If I get rich I'll just buy myself a new heart or lungs or whatever I need....
PS - Did just stop smoking a month ago, so now I'm in the 61%

odomazetov

odomazetov

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Just an FYI with more and more poker players playing hours of online poker a day... A recent study has found poker players are more at risk for diabetes, heart disease, and cancer with the risk factors directly relating to obesity and tobacco use. It found about. 39% of poker players use tobacco (national average is around 29%) and poker players have a higher than normal BMI. Just a friendly reminder to take a break once in a while and exercise you will feel better and play better

I fully agree with you , but we must to add more things here , where is Alcohol? and where is Marijuana?
Too many players play till smoke Marijuana , and drink alcohol i think that online poker players are use this things till playing

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if they'd hurry up and release google glass, with poker apps, then maybe I wouldn't have to sit around as much to play poker.

I loved this idea when I thought about it for walking or jogging. Then I realized how many will try it while driving. Horrifying. Think I'll sell my car and buy something indestructible to ride around in. Like a snowplow. Or a tank.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people advise you to exercise and eat healthy

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wonder where this study was taken, or, how the responses were taken? Was a representative sample from all walks of life taken? Maybe its true.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread has convinced me to do pushups and jumping jacks every time I feel any emotion while playing. Either I'll become the freeroll version of the emotionless terminator or I'll at least be as strong as one! :cool:

V

vinnie82x

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30min run does the trick for me , before i start playing poker set for the day then.

RajDev1979

RajDev1979

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
day i play poker i am on diet :D just beerrrrrr

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That may be more true to asian country players who have mostly played in poker rooms like pokerstars,Cake poker,and so on.Some important tournament held in midnight of asian countries.The players often have to burn the midnight oil.

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was afraid to read all this about my health. I'll take this one more beer and I am soon going for a run.
I mean, after finalizing the poker games ...
Well, I will start tomorrow aas physical activities :)

J

jappiejaap

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already have diabetes but qua sport's I do nothing. Just automaticly watchin my food and don't eat any food with conr syrup mgs and kind of stuff.
Also since I have a smoothy maker live has been great fresh applejuice is my personal favourite. I notice the better i feel physically the better I play a healthy set of mind sure works.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, sitting for hours in front of pc is not exactly healthy. Who would have thought hehe..... but I don't smoke, don't eat or drink all that much. I get exercise while running and I walk three times per day with my dog. It's good to get out. What bothers me the most are my poor eyes suffering if I stare at PC for hours.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just like in case with alchohol use/abuse, it is healthy to drink up to 2 drinks per day which increases HDLC ( high density lipoprotein cholesterol) but unfortunely if you cross that limit you have a great chance to increase a LDLC ( low density lipoprotein cholesterol) which increases a level of triglycerides and increases a blood pressure which implies the increase of chances of cardiovascular disease. And those are the facts. Now about the gambling, i'm sure that we have a quite similar efects, i little adrenaline wont harm us but it's very important to say that it's also very important how you handle your loses and winnings, do you have a genetic predisposition to develop a cardiovascular disease or a diabetes etc.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think anyone who spends too much time at the computer would have these issues if not watched out for. Remember this, from the TV cartoon, South Park?

cartman-wow-300x231.jpg

An exaggeration, perhaps, but not too far off if you let yourself go!

H

heAdstroMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go a run a couple of days a week and you'll be fine!

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if they'd hurry up and release google glass, with poker apps, then maybe I wouldn't have to sit around as much to play poker.
Yeah and get brain cancer from the microwave radiations.

Or being distracted and getting hit by a car while playing a big pot. :cool:

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Or being distracted and getting hit by a car while playing a big pot.
cool.gif

OMG!! I can see that happen haha. People getting all in, being all nervous, walking down the street ..... and *boom* you've been hit by a car. Yep, it's safer to play at home, nice and warm.

F

Foxxyroxxy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recent research at a Canadian University indicates that poker is good for releasing stress. This result has come as a surprise to many who view poker as a high stress and high risk game.

The cortisol levels of online poker players was monitored as they played online poker and it was found that their cortisol, otherwise known as “the stress hormone”, levels dropped significantly as they played. The levels continued to drop, by up to 17%, as the players progressed and became increasingly engaged in the game.

The reasoning behind this, Canadian scientists believe, is that the intense focus given during the poker game allows the players to forget or move their focus away from their daily responsibilities and worries. The intense focus is required because poker is such a complex game and players naturally get drawn in when playing. By taking a break from constantly thinking and worrying about daily responsibilities, the brain starts releasing less and less cortisol.

Prior to this research, it was also found by scientists that online gambling also improves the cognitive functioning of the brain. This applies to poker especially because of the never ending variables in the game- players are constantly thinking and learning and adapting and this provides excellent exercise for the brain.

So by playing poker, players are reducing stress as well as exercising the brain. These findings might have an influence in the US where whether to legalize online poker is an ongoing debate.

D

DaMan1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man i thought every bad beat i took was making me burn calories since my face got red and i start sweating not counting all of the energy i spend bitching about bad plays. I guess thats not enough ill just have to do a couple of pushups everytime i have a slow player on the table like myself.

X

xlmnx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time spent playing poker can be spent eating infact i like to eat as much as possible while playing cause its good killing two birds at a time... that is if u kill birds which i do not ;). Poker just kinda feeds the fire if your unhealthy itl show more if u sit around alot period. Please be healthy everyone heart problems are very bad and are hard to take care of and that was also high in alot of poker players that are older mostly.

I

Izandurrrrrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That must be why ive been so sick lately, I mean super sick feeling like Im going to die

A

arrow1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting on your azz all day with the only exercise wiping hot sauce or ketchup off of your chin. Who would think that is unhealthy- lol. Oh, I forgot about shuffling chips, probably burn a few calories there.