Study Finds Poker Players Unhealthy

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny thing is in my case, poker has had the opposite effect.

Back when i worked a normal job, I was too tired to work out, and ate fast food every day for lunch.

Now, I love going to the gym, and eat at home every single day.

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, poker is bad for me only because I sleep not enough :) I think that a lot of players have the same problem

ammytyagi

ammytyagi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IN
Chips
Lack of sleep and increased stress makes poker unhealthy

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup I certainly see the reflection of this every time I look down I now have a keg where the six pack used to be 10 or 12 years ago. :(

M

michael demichele

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing bigger than usual, I can't eat or sleep and my heartbeat goes way up. I'm burning like twice the calories on half the food.

Who needs to exercise. Isn't playing enough?

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studies can just show a general survey/understanding of the sample group. On an individual note, it's up to the player whether he or she wants to divide their time up properly. Set some time aside for poker, for health and fitness, for socializing and all. At the end of the day, it's the choices you make.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing bigger than usual, I can't eat or sleep and my heartbeat goes way up. I'm burning like twice the calories on half the food.

Who needs to exercise. Isn't playing enough?
Sitting on your butt, does not do so.

Studies can just show a general survey/understanding of the sample group. On an individual note, it's up to the player whether he or she wants to divide their time up properly. Set some time aside for poker, for health and fitness, for socializing and all. At the end of the day, it's the choices you make.
What's your day job??

Sitting on your butt for more than 10 hours a day, is worse than smoking a pack of cigs a day!

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stimulation! So many different ways to keep your mind running so you dont slip up as much while you play. Always looking for your opponents purpose and your possibilities. hehehe, nothings grinds my gears more than a spot on read busted to a highly unfortunate river. :mad:

T

turtelliusshellius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to point out a little something about health and poker play as well. If you look at any of the interviews or studies done on the highly successful poker players, the majority of them are very fit and they exercise regularly. I don't find this to be a coincidental correlation. Exercise and healthy eating increase blood flow, brain function, and stamina. Brain function is the key to good poker play and if you are at "max thinking ability" you will be at your max poker playing level. If you are a live player, physical health and blood flow could be the difference between wearing your stressors like an article of clothing or sitting like a statue. Stamina is what will allow you to keep all of this together after a 24 hour session when that group of guppies sits at your table and doesn't want to stop giving you money. All of these are very important aspects of winning that correlate directly to your physical health. There's a reason most of the people you seem to run into at main event final tables are physically fit (and I say most since the occasional unfit person does make it through).

On a second note, I'd like to factor in something that wasn't pointed out here. Drug and alcohol abuse. These are a very large factor when it comes to poker because along with that DG gene, comes the drug and alcohol abuse gene (most people who hold the gene to become addicted to one thing, can easily become addicted to all things). Many poker players, and my favorite of all time being one of them (Stu Ungar), were once or still are addicted to one substance or another. Any substance used prior to play will skew these health variables as well because a person cannot be at max mental capability when under the influence of a mind altering substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional drink or smoking a little bud every now and then, but combining that with poker player is just asking for a loss. So keep the substances for fun times and your poker time separate.

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The funny thing is in my case, poker has had the opposite effect.

Back when i worked a normal job, I was too tired to work out, and ate fast food every day for lunch.

Now, I love going to the gym, and eat at home every single day.

I agree with you. Playing gives you the opportunity to make your own hours. Paired with using exercise to warmup creates a fairly decent healthy lifestyle

T

tca3rd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone let me know how to start a new thread! I cannot figure this forum out. I don't even see how to contact an admin. send me a message let me know how to do anything but reply to a thread. I know how to do that. Thanks

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im gonna jog in place while I play me poker :)

B

blueduck88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I started playing poker I have gained over 30lbs at one point. Thankfully I'm now exercising , eating healthier and playing less (which creates less stress) and have managed to lose some weight

F

Fevah7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This may be the truth but for me I would feel that its more important to be mental/physically fit more so becaus poker is so sendentary. I work out 6 day/wk and go to website like luminoscity and chess trainer to exercise my brain. Gotta keep this thing running like a well-oiled machine.

Balyev

Balyev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that did not come up, I'm sure that nothing like this one has. Scientists generally do not play well with his head. What does the Poker?? More than 90% of the population is sitting at computers on the Internet. Accordingly, we are all sick)))) and as a toigra which may well affect,, Brad ...