Starting a Poker Career

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like any journey,,it starts with the first step forward.Anyone can win at this game if you want it bad enough,dont let anyone or anything stand in your way! :icon_salu
I think I decided .. that I will try)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that a poker career is just too lazy to work at a normal job, as a hobby ok!

A poker career is very very hard work.

Some people laugh at the idea.

But what job do you know that you have to sit there for 8-hours (in a tournament) and if you make one big mistake you earn no money for that entire 8-hour session (and even lose your buyin?).

Yes they say, but you JUST have to sit there. I laugh at them.....you try sitting for 8-hours straight and not move from the table.

Good luck !

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A poker career is very very hard work.

Some people laugh at the idea.

But what job do you know that you have to sit there for 8-hours (in a tournament) and if you make one big mistake you earn no money for that entire 8-hour session (and even lose your buyin?).

Yes they say, but you JUST have to sit there. I laugh at them.....you try sitting for 8-hours straight and not move from the table.

Good luck !
In a way, playing poker for a living is very similar to starting your own business for a living. The latter may be more complex but the idea is the same. Make mistakes and lose your bank roll. Make very bad choices, don't get paid. But you have to take risks sometimes in order to really get rewarded, unless you want to grind for small amounts forever. There's nothing wrong with making a small living off of it either, but greed and costs of living can definitely influence decision making in both poker and small business.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
studying it, creating a strategy, a banking, a game plan and dedicating a lot of time to learning each day more and playing a lot hahaha good luck greetings:rolleyes:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi .. how do you think you can start your poker career from scratch at 36?!

Very good question.
You need to understand that for a career as a professional poker player you need a lot of time, have income from third parties and a desire to learn, to understand loved ones. Do not wait for the result in the near future for a permanent and progressive income. If you win something right away, this is not an indicator of correct playing at a distance.
Play first as a hobby, and in the future you will see if you continue your career as a professional player.

G

goOgaaA9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is never too late to start new things...good luck for you :)

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
hello I think age is not a factor if you like it and you have passion, dedication and love for this beautiful sport ... just study

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy, move back in with you parents, and get them to pay for all your food and bills, because you're gonna need every moment for studying and playing.

P

paulw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO for someone to now make a successful career from scratch in poker meaning just paying the bills and making a living wage out of it, the odds are stacked very high against you, although probably paying for a good coach will help you get on the right track, if like most and you could not afford a coach, I think the main rules ,would be to have the ability to learn, and to have total dedication, and I think in today's game if you had some kind of math background if only to understand the newer learning software that is available such as Piosolver and so on lol find an online coaching site, there are many about, the modern sites now teach game theory to the highest levels, I can personally recommend (Run it Once) these guys take learning poker to a different level,although its not a place for beginners imo

Before the poker boom to make a good player you needed to have natural raw skill and then to build on that, Today I think the more intelligent you are better chance you would have of joining the ranks of the elite poker players with more money than you could ever spend.

GL you will need it

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening friend, to start a poker career always get underneath the micro limits to build a good income if conditions make a good coach.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Life

Just like any career it takes effort , patience, education and a burning desire to succeed. And like any career an MAJOR investment of your time and with poker a bankroll to support your life style. Take a step at a time & don't expect miracles..

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn,t matter really how old are you, because anyone can play poker.
If you want to start, you need lots of knowledge and also some money.
If you don,t have money, then you can start with the freerolls and low buy-ins.
When you will get some experience maybe you can earn something with poker.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study the game. Read articles, books, watch youtube videos on pot odds, card ranges, position, exploitative strat, tilt, bankroll management. Also look into training sites.

Above all else, persistence. It's not easy but not impossible.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really hard to make it happen, anyone can learn poker rules in 5 minutes, but to have the poker mindset to have sucess is a everyday job. And your bankroll is very important to start with.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never is to late for anything. Practice and study !

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching the RIU Twitch stream the other day and they were interviewing someone who said he only started playing at the age of 35 and he was in this big tournament. So that definitely shows you anyone can become a pro at any age. The desire has to be there for sure. You need to study and work hard to get what you aim for.

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
start from zero

Somebody do this?ask all who read this...maybe poker strategy $50 start-up capital.somebody got up from him?

Last edited:
kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s the best way!

It doesn,t matter really how old are you, because anyone can play poker.
If you want to start, you need lots of knowledge and also some money.
If you don,t have money, then you can start with the freerolls and low buy-ins.
When you will get some experience maybe you can earn something with poker.

I think like you and started that way.

T

think1n

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to study hard is good, but I think having a good discipline & and selfcontrol will help a lot thou'.

BR

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is very hard to try to make a living at. Number one, for every winner there has to be 8 losers at a 9 player table. Everyone can't be a winner at the game. It's mathematically impossible for everyone who ventures to become a winning poker player(and by winning I mean make more than you spend.) For someone to win there has to be losers. It's just an unfortunate fact.

I play for fun only. If I get lucky along the way, that's good too.