Starting a Poker Career

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is very hard to try to make a living at. Number one, for every winner there has to be 8 losers at a 9 player table. Everyone can't be a winner at the game. It's mathematically impossible for everyone who ventures to become a winning poker player(and by winning I mean make more than you spend.) For someone to win there has to be losers. It's just an unfortunate fact.

I play for fun only. If I get lucky along the way, that's good too.

totally agree with you

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching the RIU Twitch stream the other day and they were interviewing someone who said he only started playing at the age of 35 and he was in this big tournament. So that definitely shows you anyone can become a pro at any age. The desire has to be there for sure. You need to study and work hard to get what you aim for.

desire must be initiate!

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn,t matter really how old are you, because anyone can play poker.
If you want to start, you need lots of knowledge and also some money.
If you don,t have money, then you can start with the freerolls and low buy-ins.
When you will get some experience maybe you can earn something with poker.

you're right! I want to keep the course in that direction.

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like any career it takes effort , patience, education and a burning desire to succeed. And like any career an MAJOR investment of your time and with poker a bankroll to support your life style. Take a step at a time & don't expect miracles..

I'm not waiting for miracles, just going to like what you like.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, losing a lot of money is tough to take. How would you react to up for a big losses of money? If you react positively to this reflection, go ahead ...

Think about other alternatives, something less financially precarious and mentally damaging instead.

Play poker for fun!

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Starting the poker career.

First of all you should understand that poker is a paid game where you pay to play and that is the routine.
So first of all, I advise you to get a job to have a decent bankroll and still participate in championships worthy of champion.
It's no use wanting to win anything interesting in poker if you only play freeroll, the interesting thing is to play big games and win in big tournaments.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A person is looking for himself and his potential all his life and age is not a hindrance...

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one likes to work hard, that's the secret!

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, losing a lot of money is tough to take. How would you react to up for a big losses of money? If you react positively to this reflection, go ahead ...

Think about other alternatives, something less financially precarious and mentally damaging instead.

Play poker for fun!

So far, I don’t think that I will live on it .. no one knows how it all will turn out! I work in my free time playing freerolls. If I’m given access to passwords? I’ll play more freerolls)

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A person is looking for himself and his potential all his life and age is not a hindrance...

if all life to look for potential, then you can not achieve anything .. so it happens! If to 45 you have come to nothing this fiasco in most cases, .. so I do not agree!

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all you should understand that poker is a paid game where you pay to play and that is the routine.
So first of all, I advise you to get a job to have a decent bankroll and still participate in championships worthy of champion.
It's no use wanting to win anything interesting in poker if you only play freeroll, the interesting thing is to play big games and win in big tournaments.

Earn money to play in big tournaments? I don’t think this is good advice for a newbie! All great things start small!

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you are going to dedicate yourself professionally to poker, you have to take into account several aspects, since it is based on a game that has a chance of luck, it is very insecure as I see it, since you are not a very good player and you win tournaments which is very difficult considering that as there are many who have very good level of play, I think the best option is to start having a job with a monthly support and in free time accumulate money from tournaments and take a vacation to be able to play one that really is worthy ... that's my opinion.

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He asked several times without getting an answer! Are there people who started out with freerolls and after a while have grown bankroll without investing?!

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi .. how do you think you can start your poker career from scratch at 36?!

I started my poker career playing dice in pirates of the Caribbean and watching the TV show Звезда Покера:wavey:

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a pro or not

Being a pro is not a choice, it is something that happens with skill, effort and time. You probably should play as much as you can in your spare time and see how things go after studying. You may not even like it when you have to play for super long hours when you feel like doing something else and you need a lot of hands in just to see if you are a winning player unless you happen to be crushing the game every day. If you are, it also must be at stakes good enough to create an income and you will need extra padding in your life roll as mentioned. Why not try some step tournaments and try to skyrocket yourself to the pro bankroll in your free time? There is a lot of luck involved but your skill will help it happen sooner. :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd really like to say "Yes.. it is easy!" Deposit 1/2 of your paycheque online each week for the next 6months and just go for it! You can't win if you don't try... right?

But it obviously isn't and you've been given some answers here that reflect that reality.
I don't think it is what you want to hear though. Actually reading your last couple posts I'm convinced you're a new player who just wants to be able to access the passwords for the Cardschat freerolls, entertaining a dream that there will soon be riches, fast cars, mansions in the Carribean, trips to exotic destinations, WPT flush girls bringing you cold drinks by the poolside wanting to go for a drive in your Ferrari.

Guess what. The reality is >> even though the level of play in the Cardschat freerolls is very very low & there are some GREAT prizes to be had from them, you're unlikely to even win a starting bankroll from them in your first year of play (and that's if you actually put some time into learning the game). "IF" you put in some effort & study, you might win enough from the freerolls to achieve a big enough starting bankroll to play in the 'Micros' online. BUT I think you will invest the small freeroll cashes into whatever game you can play in immediately & will go busto... over & over again so that by the end of 1 year, you will still have nothing (or very close to it).
IF this is your idea of a career, then you are on the right path and well on your way already!

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you are going to dedicate yourself professionally to poker, you have to take into account several aspects, since it is based on a game that has a chance of luck, it is very insecure as I see it, since you are not a very good player and you win tournaments which is very difficult considering that as there are many who have very good level of play, I think the best option is to start having a job with a monthly support and in free time accumulate money from tournaments and take a vacation to be able to play one that really is worthy ... that's my opinion.

I know that there are not many chances for beginners! And there should be work that brings money ..

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a pro is not a choice, it is something that happens with skill, effort and time. You probably should play as much as you can in your spare time and see how things go after studying. You may not even like it when you have to play for super long hours when you feel like doing something else and you need a lot of hands in just to see if you are a winning player unless you happen to be crushing the game every day. If you are, it also must be at stakes good enough to create an income and you will need extra padding in your life roll as mentioned. Why not try some step tournaments and try to skyrocket yourself to the pro bankroll in your free time? There is a lot of luck involved but your skill will help it happen sooner. :)

several guys advised the same..

as for me it is the most adequate option in my situation .. play in my free time