Starting a Poker Career

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd really like to say "Yes.. it is easy!" Deposit 1/2 of your paycheque online each week for the next 6months and just go for it! You can't win if you don't try... right?

But it obviously isn't and you've been given some answers here that reflect that reality.
I don't think it is what you want to hear though. Actually reading your last couple posts I'm convinced you're a new player who just wants to be able to access the passwords for the Cardschat freerolls, entertaining a dream that there will soon be riches, fast cars, mansions in the Carribean, trips to exotic destinations, WPT flush girls bringing you cold drinks by the poolside wanting to go for a drive in your Ferrari.

Guess what. The reality is >> even though the level of play in the Cardschat freerolls is very very low & there are some GREAT prizes to be had from them, you're unlikely to even win a starting bankroll from them in your first year of play (and that's if you actually put some time into learning the game). "IF" you put in some effort & study, you might win enough from the freerolls to achieve a big enough starting bankroll to play in the 'Micros' online. BUT I think you will invest the small freeroll cashes into whatever game you can play in immediately & will go busto... over & over again so that by the end of 1 year, you will still have nothing (or very close to it).
IF this is your idea of a career, then you are on the right path and well on your way already!

you are right in part) but you are mistaken in that I dream of some kind of wealth in a short time, and indeed! Playing micro tournaments after a year starting from scratch with a bankroll of $ 500 + this would be a good result for me .. and if Cardchat helps me in this, I will only be grateful! u2

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
several guys advised the same..

as for me it is the most adequate option in my situation .. play in my free time

Yes it is great advice. :) You should also research the tax laws for poker. They are quite complex and you will want to get a good grasp of that and the things you should be keeping track of. Also you should specifically look at the state you are in (location) and see if it is a poker friendly state. Most people don't know nearly enough about the tax system and finding information takes quite a bit of effort and you will have lots of unanswered questions even after you spend many hours researching. Messing up here can be very costly and slow your progress greatly. I'd say it is even more important to get educated about these things than poker itself as when you are not good at poker at least you have some idea you might not be so good, but if you don't do your tax research you may have no idea that you are messing up and that can ruin your chances to be successful without you knowing it until it is too late.

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many hours do you need to play per day?

despite the fact that you work!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think your age does not matter. There are plenty of examples when people began their careers after 50 years and became successful players. I think the most important thing is your desire to achieve the goal.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the game should be just fun and work should be first and foremost, of course, my opinion.

S

Super_Gleb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's no matter. You can become a star playing for 1 year i think

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything I read it started, either from freeroll's or they bought in for $25 to $100.

I think you would do good at 36, still young.
Hi .. how do you think you can start your poker career from scratch at 36?!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi .. how do you think you can start your poker career from scratch at 36?!
I think that you can start a poker career at any time and at any age, the main thing is that you have good skills in playing any kind of poker and the main thing is that you have financial capabilities and of course you have plenty of free time to play - and take participation in poker events at tournaments or even in some games!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have more years than you and I have not even thought about such a question. Poker for any age is suitable.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Age is not a problem in poker. You just need to take your time to learn and play. At pokerstars there are good video tutorials which will explain you the basics of the game. After that you can read some more advanced materials here at cardschat. when you have some foundation you can continue with some books and other materials. You can use freerolls (especially cardschat ones) to build initial bankroll and from there start to grind into micro states. But you need to be patient and have the constant will to learn and improve. If you are looking for big money fast - it does not work this way.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think it can be started later.You can give yourself completely to poker only without working.If you need to feed the family that combine play and work is almost impossible..In order to make a game of poker need time. Time to learn how to play.Therefore, it can afford those who have a lot of free time.And it or youth or pensioners or people by force of circumstances bedridden. And even this does not guarantee that you will be a professional player.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am not pro player so I haven't any experience to give as an advise but you have to be really good player to move on professional stage.Thanks to forums ,books ,internet you can learn a lot, so good luck if you really try this.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just like in love, in poker age does not matter. :)

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start slowly by playing small stakes and build up your bankroll slowly as you learn and get better.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I think you should just have a lot of free time and money to invest if or if

B

Blakepc91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would highly suggest checking out training sites like Raise Your Edge if u want to have any chance in being successful in starting from scratch cause it takes years of study and hundreds of thousands of hands to get your game to a high level otherwise.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I was 61, started three months ago, liked the game and I'm not afraid ... 36 god ordered, if there is interest.