Quit My Job and Play Poker?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep your job and build a bank roll playing part time. You can use that to buy into a few tourneys and possibly turn that into something big. Good luck!

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only play for hobby. I'd rather secure my job.

SlimHeperpokerstars

SlimHeperpokerstars

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am fairly good at playing and can allways build my balance up playing a tight-aggressive game when i am focused. should i quit my boring Nine to five and live the dream or is that a bad move

If you are confident in yourself and you are really a "good player", then what prevents you from uniting both work and playing poker? No one is immune from tilt, even the best players, and work is a small but still stable earnings and if you lower your bankroll, you will always have the opportunity to make up for it, do not you? .. I also constantly think about how to make Poker is the only source of their income, but in order to do this, you need to work very hard on your game and clearly understand whether you can fully trust your skills and your game .. I think when you start to earn a steady poker game, this question Will disappear by itself! Good luck at the poker tables!:)

S

SweatPea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To make $100 a day single tabling 10NL for 5-6 hrs a day would be impossible to sustain. Even at a 10BB/100 win rate (which is unrealistic even for a lot of the best players) at 50NL, you would hardly be making around $4/hr or $8,000 a year if you played 40hrs/week. Please don't leave your day job.

i highly doubt somebody playing poker for a living would single table 10nl or even 50nl for that matter.. i used to be able to play 8-10 tables at a time, theirs players who can obviously do a lot more.. yes the win rate goes down, but the $ goes up.. my advice still stands keep the job until you can go work your way up and go solid at $100nl online for a few months, and play solid stakes live.. if you find you have no time for both my advice is to sleep less.. i get five hours of sleep a day, thats more than enough for me

cash games are king are where the money is.. hope your not a tournament player writing this thread.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ive been playing for 2 years part time mainly for fun and never had more than 2 days of bad runs, i guess i must have potential to be best in the world then

Evidently so.I need a coach like you.

M

mendez_g1122

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i highly doubt somebody playing poker for a living would single table 10nl or even 50nl for that matter.. i used to be able to play 8-10 tables at a time, theirs players who can obviously do a lot more.. yes the win rate goes down, but the $ goes up.. my advice still stands keep the job until you can go work your way up and go solid at $100nl online for a few months, and play solid stakes live.. if you find you have no time for both my advice is to sleep less.. i get five hours of sleep a day, thats more than enough for me

cash games are king are where the money is.. hope your not a tournament player writing this thread.

He mentioned he single tables 10NL and can't "understand" how players can keep track of more than 1 at a time. He's clearly someone who doesnt get how poker works and probably ran good a few times.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fact you asked, is all i need to see keep your job for now.

J

Just_a_Tom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you haven't experienced a bad month you haven't been playing poker long enough. Even the best names in poker have bad runs lasting 2 - 6 months sometimes.
Running bad for up to a half a year sounds more like a tilt issue than bad luck, in regards to such a thing happening to the pros, I mean.

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I open my hostel, hurry disadvantaged or homeless by poker players.
$7 and the night is yours, the possible contract for the long term.:D:D:D
It is better to work and have a steady income.
Poker is unpredictable, it is possible to remain without pants.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are sure that you can make for living playing poker. But that is tricky. In poker, you need knowledge, but you also need a lots of luck. Be careful when you make decision.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you have a 500$ roll, play 1 table of 10$ games and expect to make 100$ a day.

Yea don't quit your job, I'm pretty sure you haven't thought this trough yet.

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I open my hostel, hurry disadvantaged or homeless by poker players.
$7 and the night is yours, the possible contract for the long term.:D:D:D
It is better to work and have a steady income.
Poker is unpredictable, it is possible to remain without pants.

I agree, we should have a stable job, at least to withstand sub-zero session in the beginning.:)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think insurance in the form of work does not hurt! Although it's up to you to decide how to do it !!!

B

bumerangue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like i wrote in the last post, before you drop everything, you got to have a nice profit playing your "fairly good at playing and can always build my balance up playing a tight-aggressive game when I am focused", by "nice profit" I mean the same amount of money you receives today for your job, when you hit that goal, you can quit it

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're really confident, and make the bankroll from scratch then why not?

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would need atleast 2yrs of solid stats/roi graphs ect to even consider making a move like that. if after a year you have made more per month then your job, then try it. but have something put away for the inevitable down swing you will find yourself in. good luck

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NO

i am fairly good at playing and can allways build my balance up playing a tight-aggressive game when i am focused. should i quit my boring Nine to five and live the dream or is that a bad move

NO you have to always be focused

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I say you go for it. Most everybody that gives it a go, ends up on TV playing for millions & eventually living in Monte Carlo care free.

;)

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop dream. Go to work and work.Dreamers.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didnt read much of the thread as of yet, will do shortly

Whereabouts in Manc do you play? Im based there now playing full time :)

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you should not. Sure 1 game could pay off big time. BUT with every good win, comes a bad beat story along side it.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading it,

Having $500 and playing one table is simply not sustainable unfortunately?

Because you've not played enough games you wont have gone on a proper downswing yet and making $100 from $10 SnG's seems easy

But when you go through a breakeven week thats $700 behind where you want to be and that you have to catch up.
For now stick to the day job and build up your bankroll, you wouldnt be able to go full time on bankroll alone at the moment never mind volume and skill level :)

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do it ... you'll obviously be the next Phil or Daniel. BTW, get qualified on Cardschat first and let's see how well you do in our Carschat League, then decide :)

Yeah i need to get in that league ive only just joined cardschat tho