Quit My Job and Play Poker?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you really believe you can live on the money that you win in poker you can quit. But I would not recommend, there are two concepts such as variance and dawnstrike.

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would need much more info than this. such as what stakes do you do well in? do you play cash or Mtts? how much in savings do you have for living expenses/poker bankroll? can you go through 100buyin downswing?

masonman88

masonman88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am fairly good at playing and can allways build my balance up playing a tight-aggressive game when i am focused. should i quit my boring Nine to five and live the dream or is that a bad move
really man if you need to ask this Question ! your so not ready!
have you even played a live game of poker and if so what where the stakes!
you really need to understand what your asking and if you did you would have the answer!:eek:

E

EvE2K

I think this is a bad move. You can still have your job and play the game at your free time. I know some people who leave the job. They think they can have easy money on poker. But nothing is easy in this world. The best decision is to keep the job and play at your free time.

R

Runeloko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be such a bad idea if you ever decide to quit your job which is a stable economy for you, because of a gambling game. Poker IMO is mainly just to have fun. :)

lilcharlierich

lilcharlierich

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I F a 9 to 5 poker keeps me alive

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am fairly good at playing and can allways build my balance up playing a tight-aggressive game when i am focused. should i quit my boring Nine to five and live the dream or is that a bad move

Honestly i think it's a bad move, as you can't be sure now if you are really good/experienced enough to make a living by playing poker. So i would keep that dream and do some efforts to get to the higher limits: play more poker, educate yourself more about poker etc. But also keep your job as a backup, you know. Because it can turn really bad, if you give up the job and poker wouldn't welcome you and you will have like half year of downswing and have to go down to the limits pretty dramatically. So you will have a financial problems at that point, but no back up as your job was anymore. So i think, playing poker for life is pretty similar thing as self-employment actually and it has pretty similar risks, so you need to have back up, at least as a half-time job in case if it runs not well, at least you don't have to starving. Some time later, when you reach higher limits and your poker income will be about the same or even more, i would think about to quit job.

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not want to discourage you, sometimes you think you play better than you actually play and you lose money. Be very cautious before leaving your main job to live poker, that's for the few. It's best to keep the two by the hour.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Solo should be a complement to our work, life, if you think them good enough in this ahead. Personally I see poker as a hobby and complementary sport to my work and life.

C

celtics34

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the one thing foe certain is the 9 to 5. poker is never certain

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will say right away, like any work, a professional poker game is not entertainment. ... You can play for fun and for budget replenishment, without giving up what you like.

EsnneyPk

EsnneyPk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think leaving your job is not the best idea. For it must have a good stability because not every day is earned so you are the best in the world you will always have your losses, as everything in life his alsas and his casualties.
And it is true one of the previous comments I think that being 12 hours playing porker every day is not the best dream either.
I think my dream would be to win a great live tournament where you get a good vote.
But it is your choice after all if you feel prepared ahead and lucky 😎

BoaSafra

BoaSafra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
put the face!!!! hahaha if you are a lucrative player one time you needs to do this!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy to say. But practically it is not possible to perform.

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is a bad idea Dont look at poker pro players ((((it is huge work (( that must be done ( play at free time .

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think no need to do so,at any moment something can go wrong while on the job stability and pension in old age and in poker it is possible to lose all

JoseFerreras

JoseFerreras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think you can win in poker the amount you make in your regular job, then you might as well go all in and try to live the dream.

thaysen13

thaysen13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should still work maeby part time. In the other time you have play money. Then see the edges where you have profit I guess.

W

wils18

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take advantage of any free time at work to play poker

I

Ioscu Ion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me work is work and poker for me as a hobi.
Even if it will bring me more profit than work))

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the biggest danger of quitting your job to play poker fulltime is that once poker isn't a hobby anymore but a job, it could become way more tiresome than originally imagined. Hobbies are more fun because you can look forward to doing them while you do your job. Once it becomes your job... it could get boring more quickly. And by then you've lost your job...

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I was bored but poker does not inspire such trust to give stability even boring