Is poker tougher?

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games way, way harder - Tournaments still full of donks :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is more difficult because there are more players and more experienced players. Also there are more difficult and more complicated games, which give more difficult experiences to the players.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Is poker tougher now compared to five or ten years ago?

Yes. More players are taking the game slightly more seriously and more recreational players have access to get information (YouTube channels, poker podcasts, cardschat forums and so on) and the popularity of the internet is an important role in that.

Compared to 10 years ago, I'd say the quality of the "average player" is higher now, but that doesn't mean the pros and grinders haven't also found ways to raise their edge more and there are still plenty of soft games out there if you look for them it seems.

Overall, I think poker is tougher now than it was 10 years ago, but we can all still adapt; we don't have to get left behind playing outdated strategies that used to work years ago.

p.s. I will note that I didn't even know the rules of poker 10 years ago, but I'm going off of what I've heard, what I've observed and simply putting things into the historical context of how much the game of poker has evolved even in 10 years and the dramatic change since the 2003 Moneymaker "poker boom."

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played over 10 years and it alwAYS BEEN TOUGH.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
over the past 5 years, it has soon become more crazy than tough. Players gambling any two cards...many people do not care about buy-ins and deposits ...the main thing is action.

GL!!!

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Yes, poker has definitely become more difficult . Previously, it was possible to win good amounts .Now there are a lot of push-ups and a lot of fatal actions

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that many things have changed since the information on poker is transmitted to other players through YouTube and so on.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think poker has gotten that much tougher in the past 5 or 10 years. The biggest changes were before that.

roberton

roberton

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tactics and strategies evolve, so does the difficulty

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is more aggressive now than it used to be.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Today it is more difficult than a few years ago. If we talk about online poker there is a lot of software that helps to play, several years ago this did not exist and it was only skill

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker became quite popular over the years. This means that more and more players are taking up the game for various reasons. Some play for fun while others made a career out of poker.

There is so much information about poker available online, which has educated players quitewell.
Not only are they educated through books or articles but the rise in forums like CC, has seen poker players become much better than they were when they started. And better players mean it is harder to win.

The availability of a wide range of poker software asso has contributed to making the game tougher. All successful poker players use some sort of software.

This just means that players tend to make fewer mistakes or blowouts which would provide larger amounts of winnings.
So the answer to your questions is YES. Poker has become tougher and will get even worse in the future.

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of poker schools have appeared that teach players and it has become more difficult to play.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Player s in general have a higher skill level then they did 5 or 10 years ago. It's just stepped up in skill level of play unless your playing free-rolls or micros then the play is probable the same as it always has been.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's the same. The fish is always there, 10 years ago and recently. The pro wannabe (fish who calls other fish) is also always there. The reg is always there too.

The problem is who are we? No one wants to be called fish. So, we are all pro wannabe.

In terms of more people studying this game, I don't think it's matter. Yeah, many would be tighter on the pre-flop but fish is fish, and reg is reg (Also pro wanna be is pro wanna be).

So, pro wanna be would think it's tougher, reg would think it's the same, and fish would think it's a scam.

Just my two cents, CMIIW.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game of poker hasn't changed over the years -- it is the same game and the same strategies and odds apply whether today or 5, 10 or 50 years ago . . . what has changed are the players -- so many of them no longer use skill and strategy, but depend on luck much like one does in 'show down'.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though I didn't play poker that long ago it seems logical to me that poker has gotten tougher. People aree studying way more the game, which makes it harder for new players to win. The luck factor becomes a bit smaller.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has evolved in the most prepared players, a lot of information to improve your game, transmissions of pro players showing their game, many analyzes, there are many things but adapting to them good results are achieved:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing online poker for about 10 years and yes it got tougher. The players are much better now and it's harder to win with them.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, the difficulty level remains the same. What is evolving in terms of difficulty is the preparation and training of poker players who have raised the level. It takes a lot of practice and a lot of studies to win at poker.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

if it is more difficult, players improve more with poker courses and videos before that didn't happen !!!

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most definately. Theres too much resources and content out there.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. 100% yes. It's not even close. The game is always evolving. More information out there for everybody. The bad players are not as bad as they use to be. The good players are even better.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

I am sure that with the development of any activity becomes more competitive and poker is no exception!