Is poker tougher?

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Is poker tougher now compared to five or ten years ago?

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
After 5 to 10 years of playing poker you have acquired a certain type of game and poker itself has not become more difficult because it is the same game, but the people you meet at the tables are very different and do not always play the way you expect them to. When you meet people who are serious about trying to play poker right it is easier than when you play with just for fun people because the pretty impossible hands are playing and you can easily lose with the best preflop hand against them if you don't read them properly. I'm someone who loses a lot at the moment, but as long as I've done my best, I don't mind. Of course I don't mean that it is easier to win against people who play poker seriously, but the probability that you will lose to scrap with premium hands is definitely lower

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker changes-it's 100%

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're asking about online poker- It's much more dumber than it was 10 years ago. Look at the evolution of rakeback. Today some "Supernova Elite" will get a chance to win some trash by opening the chest, instead of buying Porsche Cayman with rakeback which was clearly accumulated. And the same story goes on - we have to trust the poker site, they don't clearly explain and show the algorythm of random generator and they can't clearly give you 100% confidence that game is as real as it is at the real table with your friends. You have to believe in Jesus and in your poker provider, cause if you don't - then you'll see just bots and hackers at the tables, specially if you lose important hand to some 2 outer.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is Poker tougher?

I believe it's now easier, because poker has gain much popularity the last years, more people are playing now, if you are an old player. Aka professional players in a way, then you would win much easier then back then.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker for around 15 years and in my opinion online poker is tougher than before. I think one of the reasons that can help to explain this is that poker players are studying more about the game than before.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Could not agree more with both mina271 and finaltable1 - the game now is dumber than ever.

Okay, admittedly I am swimming in the shallows and expect things would improve at the higher stakes, but all I see is a level of dumb like never before and I hate to say this but the pandemic just seems to have encouraged a bingo mentality.

That said whilst I pose things might improve at higher stakes, lets face it there is plenty of wild play regularly seen on some of the better known streams.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

is poker harder now than it was five or ten years ago?

poker has evolved a lot over the years, new players too, before the ranges of hands were respected more depending on the position of the table where you are, old players used to play more conservative, in the new era of poker there is a new breed of "shark" at the tables that are aggressive loose players they have managed to change that old habit of playing cautious or very conservative the old style of "tigh aggresive" there are many new game strategies that if you learn them to mastering will achieve balance in the game.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Clearly it is not what it was, it is played harder and there are many players who have assistance programs during the game, personally I do not need such a thing because I want to feel good during the game following the decisions I made and not helping me with a program but that depends on what everyone wants ...

Aguimonteiro

Aguimonteiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the style of play, cheaper games or freerools are tricky to play because it's hard to play seriously, they pay with any hand believing in luck and sometimes it works... Honestly I think it's much harder to play against this kind of player, it's very easy to compromise your stack...

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The golden days of online poker are over. Nowadays it is much more difficult to make money on it, it is easier to develop in the profession, especially if you are a programmer, but you can still win.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everything is changing, and poker and we are with him. But as in the past and now, only patient and disciplined players have a real chance of success. Personally, I believe that beginners now have much more opportunities than 10 years ago.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that yes it is more difficult, today there is much more information than 5 or 10 years ago!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Any evolving game will be "tougher" if you remove yourself from it for a substantial period of time. I believe 5 - 10 years is substantial for the game of poker.

If you can bring your evolution "up to speed" or (better yet!) beyond the current state of the game...well now you're cookin!

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is hard before than today. Today we have the technology to take advantage like poker tracker.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There may be some changes taking place in poker, but I don't notice them. Probably the variability proceeds very slowly to notice it.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it is easier since many new people are learning the game.you can take their money.

E

etouu1979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any doubt I can tell you that yes, today poker becomes much more difficult, many concepts, strategies, readings etc are implemented that previously did not exist or were not taken into account or simply were not used.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Depends on the level one is playing. And on average on line poker in particular has gotten a bit tougher because now you have so much on line tools to use, on line courses, etc. Average on line poker player now is more educated about the game then 10 year ago.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just don't know. Every time I think the game is becoming harder, I see some of the worst plays ever.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sure it is. A huge number of players, the main fact.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I only started playing poker 4 years ago, so it's hard for me to say what it was like before. But I think some changes have taken place.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes

Hi guys,

poker is a game that gets more and more difficult every time it goes by because your opponents are always improving the way you play and the field is increasing

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi guys,

Hi.
I have no idea what poker was like 10 years ago. But in my opinion, poker in general as a card game is quite tough.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The game is much tougher than 10 years ago. We dont get as many new players and today players have more knowledge of the game than in the past. This is not a bad thing but it sure as can be getting tougher every day.