Poker swings.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In theory, over a long time, we're all going to end up with the same hands. It's what we do with them that counts. I've been realizing lately that I play too many hands and people are picking up on that and exploiting it. I also still don't have good bankroll management.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe there is a cyclic variance of the cards that are dealt to you and they do vary a lot considering the quantity of cards that are dealt out. There are times you just can't catch a card or cards and other times they smack you in the face and there is nothing you can do wrong. These types of variances can be fleeting throughout the game(s) or they can stay with you throughout many games. Some folk call it a lucky or unlucky streak. Lady luck is another term used. Call it what you will there are times you do need to rest and walk away if the variance continues to be bad.

I totally agree... if those villains suck out too many times or i get it in bad repeatedly i need to step away for a bit to calm my nerves... i dont get too rocked over a misfortunate flip or 2..

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to know when you're lucky --I would have played and won forever.But this band is different for everyone.Someone is lucky more, someone unlucky. I think you just have to do everything in moderation.Those who won a lot of money playing cards units.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to write down the key hands in which you have lost too much, and after the game to analyze your mistakes to avoid them in the following games. You can also lay out such hands here in the forum.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure if this is a new topic or not.. everyone has poker swings.. win 3 in a row.. lose six.. I don't care how you deal with it.. I want to know why you think you have them! is it purely variance? or do you think you vary your play enough that you cause the swings?

Yes I think it's variance because when I play, I'm fully concentrated 100% of the times. I try to avoid multi-tabling to fully concentrate.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup its common. even the worst players have good swings

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there is a cyclic variance of the cards that are dealt to you and they do vary a lot considering the quantity of cards that are dealt out. There are times you just can't catch a card or cards and other times they smack you in the face and there is nothing you can do wrong. These types of variances can be fleeting throughout the game(s) or they can stay with you throughout many games. Some folk call it a lucky or unlucky streak. Lady luck is another term used. Call it what you will there are times you do need to rest and walk away if the variance continues to be bad.

Hi There
Funny you mentioned that
I don´t think that this have to do with Luck. Luck is not variable
I would suggest that this has to do with your bio rithym . This is something
acceptable. It has to do with your birth date and so any site have and can calculate it
Just a thought
Rgds

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am at awe as to the response I received on this variance topic in poker.

THANK-YOU ALL!!!!!! Your replies are all interesting and vary greatly but still great to read.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anytime i get into a slump i try and just focus on the basics and play the best i can. sometimes i take a break and just chill out.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi There
Funny you mentioned that
I don´t think that this have to do with Luck. Luck is not variable
I would suggest that this has to do with your bio rithym . This is something
acceptable. It has to do with your birth date and so any site have and can calculate it
Just a thought
Rgds

Honestly this just hurts my brain... i hope you are joking

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anytime i get into a slump i try and just focus on the basics and play the best i can. sometimes i take a break and just chill out.

me too.. It helps balance me so I don't play too much.. though i have to take breaks while winning too.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am truly a person that thinks skill makes the difference in poker but I think downswings are normal because there is a factor of luck in poker and sometimes you can do all the right things and still lose

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yesterday I saw KK twice AKo three times, AQo few times at a some sunday million PS freerolls. With none of them I won. And the cards from which I lost was ridiculous, like 32, J8o, Q2s...Don't need to say I stayed mad, desiring to throw all my studies about probability and odds away. But what to do? I Take a break to release the "pain" and back for more.

Best of LUCK!!!

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to write down the key hands in which you have lost too much, and after the game to analyze your mistakes to avoid them in the following games. You can also lay out such hands here in the forum.

Those are great ideas and i really need to be doing thst... like a poker journal... i have only seen one guy do that and i also have seen thst same guy defy vsriance too... he would play really slow with made hands and there is a draw... wait til the river card before betting to avoid flushes or straights

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I lost 6 times in a row all in, luck plays a big role in poker.:):(

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a simple coincidence that it is necessary to wait and be lucky.

C

chappee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The cards have rythm. Sometimes we are off beat with that rythm sometimes we are in tune. Work on learning how to bet to maximize your profits when you are on and minimize your losses when you are off, thats what makes you successful.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play in the same range of hands and bets and at the same time have a variance, it is clear that you do not need to change anything. It is required to take a break in the game. A player cannot always take a bank with the arrival of a good card.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know the swing takes place all the time throughout the session, but they are petty there Chiba big blind or one bet, I'm just waiting for a big win and go, let's say twice enough or three. Also merge zero and leaving too, swing is the norm for poker.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure if this is a new topic or not.. everyone has poker swings.. win 3 in a row.. lose six.. I don't care how you deal with it.. I want to know why you think you have them! is it purely variance? or do you think you vary your play enough that you cause the swings?

Well i think it's pure variance. And the remember the more you play the more you tend to get the expected value. It's like flipping a coin, the higher is your sample more close to expected value you will get. That's why bankroll management is so vital at poker.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i think it's pure variance. And the remember the more you play the more you tend to get the expected value. It's like flipping a coin, the higher is your sample more close to expected value you will get. That's why bankroll management is so vital at poker.

you don't think you can improve the way you play..? or that you can get into a slump with bad habits at all?

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't think you can improve the way you play..? or that you can get into a slump with bad habits at all?
You always can improve, the best you're the less you suffer downs. But poker isn't a exact science, doesn't matter how good you're can't take variances out of this game. Sometimes you're 95% favorite to win the pot but the river can change your fate, you're never immune to a bad beat.

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker has its phases, but the most important thing is you do not modify your game because you are not going through a good phase, you should always have your hands with rationality.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have you personally met a player who won a large sum and kept them?This money comes and goes.And more go.