Poker as sport

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys have the misconception that everything can be argued with opinions, while in reality, most subjects there is the clear line and youre either right or wrong.

C

colino17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, sport requires an athletic or physical component. Poker is a competition, but not a sport.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
here in brazil even the ex sports minister considers poker a sport of the mind

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sitting at a table with sunglasses on, nachos on one side of you, and beer on the other, and a 272 pound stomach sticking out in front of you does not qualify as a sport.

But, seriously, poker, and chess (which is not a sport), can be considered to be games that require an ability to out think, and deceive your opponent.

They both take a special talent, but except for longevity for concentrating for hours, there is no athletic ability required.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree. Poker is - math, psychology, luck, skill.

S

SawViper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, we have already proved that sports don't need to necessarily be physical and Poker involves a level of competition and skill that other sports don't have. Might be just my bias though.

P

PotPlucker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think it has all the quality of sport except to the viewer. I think most really consider it boring to watch. Those that really enjoy it passionate about it as a player or are often close to people that are passionate about it. Poker even when the hole cards are shared still is a game played mostly in mind of the individual playing. The moves made are mostly secret and hidden or have delayed reaction to the spectator.

I guess the question could be asked "What is a sport?". We all accept games like baseball, football and soccer has sports. People will debate if golf is a sport but generally accept it. What makes them sport? Competition within an agreed on set of rules. Poker has that. Practice and fitness has benefit in sport and in poker.

As I think about "what is sport?" it occurs to me that any activity could be offered to the world as sport. Perhaps the authority that defines meaning of words made this one a bit to generally. Its a general word that describes athletic activity. I think poker should be included. It just not easily seen the muscles that have been trained and movements made to succeed in the game.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker cannot be a sport, as it is a game for money. Poker is a game of chance.
Poker cannot be compared to chess either, because in chess you cannot skip moves. And in poker you expect good cards. As the saying goes: "Luck is not a horse - lucky in the morning."

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah. If poker is a sport, toss in any card game into the fray. Old maid is a sport. Go Fish is a sport. Rummy? Sport. Cribbage? Sport. Bridge? Sport. Ok, sport.

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
To say that Poker is not a sport because there are bets, is a false statement, since it is a means of support for those who practice it, it is like saying that soccer is not a sport because soccer players charge large sums or x amounts of money. Poker is marked by competition, by a challenge between two or more people to see who is the best. Obviously, it would enter into the sport of the line as chess, which is a mental sport and of mental knowledge and skills- The fact that it is a betting sport is relative, because there is no sport where betting is more involved around them, soccer has thousands of bookmakers and millions of bettors

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think a sport should be an activity involving physical exertion so not sure poker is really qualified. Although in England we did recognise darts as an official sport in 2005!?!

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, in my view it is a thought sport, so from my point of view it should be seen that way.

V

vliege1988

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

It could be but its not as conventional as baseball or football and doesn't take any psychical motions but there is definitely a lot to be learned.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It uses the mind and great fatigue effort like chess, it is an intellectual sport like poker, it is a sport

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sport

lol, no its not a sport. no physical activity here, no training like sports its all mind game and if the cards go your way.

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, no its not a sport. no physical activity here, no training like sports its all mind game and if the cards go your way.

What do you think about chess? Internationally this is considered a sport. I also play chess regularly, and I think you can compare poker to this.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so, but if you look up the definition I guess it is.

G

Gallego1523

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker can be considered as a game of mind and skill, of chance and not as a sport since it does not require any physical demands

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly one year after its founding on April 29, 2009, the International Poker Federation (IPF) achieved its greatest goal: recognition of poker as a sport of the mind. The International Mind Games Association (IMSA) recognized, on the last day 29, that poker is a sport of the mind. The decision was announced in Dubai, where the annual Association congress takes place. Poker now joins the other four “mind sports”: chess, bridge, checkers and go.
Do you think Poker should be considered as Sport?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Words and concepts have meanings and definitions that are there despite our opinions. That is the foundation of comunication.

For it to be a sport it needs a unbendable set of rules ensured by a central federation. And poker does not have that

.... what's the question ??
you mean it's not possible ???
that is, do you think that a poker federation with a single list of terms and conditions cannot be created in the future ???
I think it's better for you to improve your skills than to spend time on philosophy ....

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
.... what's the question ??
you mean it's not possible ???
that is, do you think that a poker federation with a single list of terms and conditions cannot be created in the future ???
I think it's better for you to improve your skills than to spend time on philosophy ....

No, what i mean is that the concept is clear. Right now poker is not a sport, may be on the future.
And its not philosophy, its just a concept. A thing either is or is not (thats philosophy)

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, what i mean is that the concept is clear. Right now poker is not a sport, may be on the future.
And its not philosophy, its just a concept. A thing either is or is not (thats philosophy)

As I said before, everyone has the right to their opinion. You can call your opinion a concept, a philosophy or an axiom, it's your right. I do not agree with you and this is my position.

Pammypoo

Pammypoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well most good poker players have people skills, analytical thinking skills, know the math.
And people play poker for severals reasons...Some play for entertainment..Some play for a living.. But like they say..You do not have to be Albert Einstein to win at poker..you just need to work your ass off..
In poker you can do everything perfectly and still lose.because of the randomness.
A sport is physically demanding and poker is mostly mentally demanding..like you have to concentrate and focus..make the right plays
So it would seem that poker is sorta like a sport. ..But what the hell do I know..lol:p:rolleyes:

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would assume that in the coming years, more countries (hope an ordinary people as well) will take live/online poker out of the gray zone. Sport or not really a sport/mind sport, but thanks to online poker has risen a lot and has attracted millions of fans. They don’t think about whether this is a game of chance or not, a sport or not a sport - they just play.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I don't think so. Poker is gambling with money. You can not call a cards game as a sports game. Poker is game where you need 90% luck , maybe at live poker games is more skilled situation, but online is just luck!