Is poker not a fair game?

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indeed, poker is not a fair game all the time. Whenever I "give up" with maybe the winning hand I show the cards (how a small warning).

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the story of one of my friend who used to think that poker is not a fair game.

“Whenever I try to play with my pocket cards someone just raises. That someone raises it so high that I am forced to think that my cards are not strong enough to compete with him. So I fold. But at the end I discover that I had the winning hand……….. You people deprived me of what was mine. You took the money although you don’t have the winning hand. Is it fair?”

The story ends here. But question remains, are we depriving our friends from what they are entitled to?

Absolutely not. That's what poker is about, using games and strategies to carry out your mission, keep the pot. If your friend does not defend what he has and is left intimidating unfortunately he will remain a loser or in other words a bad loser, I believe that in poker you have to know how to lose and win.:cool:

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A game's fairness is determined by people agreeing on the rules. If someone makes money by deceiving you inside of the game's rules, then it's not unfair. You are just a bad player.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is primarily a game. And as in each game, the winner is determined by the ability not only to take advantage of successful chances of winning , but also to do everything possible to win under bad circumstances.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is primarily a game. And as in each game, the winner is determined by the ability not only to take advantage of successful chances of winning , but also to do everything possible to win under bad circumstances.

Good point, well put. I think it's totally fair in that regard.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
depends on the point of view, it is not fair for those who lose money, and even players who loses money he needs to lose several times to win a good prize, life is also like this .. I do not think fair loses my AA X T9 , that hit a full house on the flop, but is the game right ?!
Poker is fair when you understand the essence of the game!

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the story of one of my friend who used to think that poker is not a fair game.

“Whenever I try to play with my pocket cards someone just raises. That someone raises it so high that I am forced to think that my cards are not strong enough to compete with him. So I fold. But at the end I discover that I had the winning hand……….. You people deprived me of what was mine. You took the money although you don’t have the winning hand. Is it fair?”

The story ends here. But question remains, are we depriving our friends from what they are entitled to?

You forget about the fact that poker is a game of investment. We never know whether our investments will meet our expectations. Therefore, fair play is out of the question. In poker, we always take risks. And who does not risk, he does not drink champagne!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is as fair as any game. The rules are identical for each player, so how can it be anything but fair? If you don't like what another player is doing to you, you must come up with a counter strategy, within the same set of rules as he/she has, and get your chips back.

Is chess fair then? A grandmaster can kick your but at chess everytime - so playing against him isn't really fair. However, in chess, you both know everything about your current situation in the game - the pieces are where they are and how they can move is known by both of you. It is just that one person knows what to do given that particular situation, and the other doesn't.

In poker neither person knows everything about the situation - hole cards and cards to come are a mystery in poker. This is what makes poker such a great game. If you prefer a game that demands a high level of strategy and contains complete knowledge of the current situation, then chess may be what you seek. If you like a game that demands a high level of strategy and has unexpected twists and turns to keep you awake at night, then poker is for you.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

nobody will give you anything in poker if you consider that you have the best hand bet the general rule to re-raise are strong cards type a-k k-k and depends the position the stacks the player type are many factors:nurse:

B

bullgree

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it's fair, but sometimes it's not.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

:D With such views you can not play poker! This is, firstly, the GAME! And secondly, bluffing is a special trick in poker!

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker IS fair because you have the freedom to play your cards however you want. Your friend is just too scared to play proper NL poker.

He may be happier playing limit poker where each bet or raise is set to a certain amount.

To me poker is a meritocracy - it is what YOU make it for yourself.

And when I play with my friends - their chips are the sweetest to win!

Good luck !

As i can understand he is afraid of "big raises" which causes him to fold and which leads him to think that poker is not a fair game.

I think you posted the right remedy for my friend. He can play fixed limit hold'em where one can't raise beyond a limit. He can also play another form of hold'em where every one on table has to go all-in and winner is decided after river is exposed.

No limit hold'em is a fair game where patience and courage are tested all the time. Someone lacking these qualities indicates that he need to move on to other forms of hold'em.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
NLH doesn't seem like a good fit for you friend.

Maybe try at fixed limit games??

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker was never designed to be a game of fairness, it is skill and luck based.
Skill at poker will get you so far and then luck will either make you or crush you, this is why we never see anyone totally dominating poker, yes we see regular winners who pay and put themselves in specific situations, those good enough, learn from those situations but ultimately Poker can never be fair as it represents probability and luck and unpredictable human behaviour and error.

If people on your table raise you every time or regularly when you end up with having the best hand - then dont fold and play the hand and back yourself more..hindsight is a wonderful thing but i would rather lose having made a decision than as opposed to making no decision at all..

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that poker, to fool your opponent, in a given situation is, I think that differentiates players.
A skilled player, you can detect patterns in the rival game, and exploit, for bluffing, a good player knows when to bluff, I think the best player in that respect is isildur1, at least playing HU, the detected patterns in the game of his rivals, and then destroys.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a lot of poker so that you learn the game, there is no justice in poker.
It is important to make decisions all the time.

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be Braver :)

Sometimes ya gotta just be a little bit BRAVER and match their bet, or have confidence in YOUR cards and go all in. I will agree with you about the fairness as being a "question" I think online poker is "less" fair than in person, with real flesh and blood folks. Ya never know if you're facing a "BOT", or a person with a double ID and they are just trying to bait ya into a hand. Either way, keep on fighting the good fight. Poker is meant to be fun..it's a random game of "gambling"...that pretty much says it all :)

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without a bluff poker, poker would be a simple game, though when you lose with the winning hand against the better cards, it can be very disappointing

J

Jobasbdo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If a cair game, how explain same guys in Grand final tables? Haha

G

goOgaaA9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes so unfair and I dont's know why...

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is an honest game. People who play poker should understand that poker implies bluffing, deception, misleading opponents. So on the one hand poker is an honest game, on the other hand there is no.

S

Shep15jon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s the point of poker. It’s not just about the cards you are dealt, it’s how you play them and how you play the people in front of you.

If all you ever did was only play killer hands, you’d be folding almost every hand you get dealt and would get blinded out of every tournament you played in.

Top 10 Games