Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The pill do work cuz i dont feel like crap even after loosing 400 bucks in a row!

I suggest new thread in 'Learning Poker' section --> all new players should take Prozac at time of first deposit!!

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hope it's not the pills cause i'm thinking of quitting smoking and trying that chantex.
you got some good advice from roundcat and dmorris.
sometimes i don't get that upset about losing $$ since i know it will pick up and i'll win again.
if your not getting upset that's good, if you can't afford to lose the dough that's another story.
maybe you should back off of poker for awhile and enjoy your new found sense of happiness. or like suggested play the lower limits.
i'm sure your game will get back on track.
gl gl gl :flowers:

Chantix got me nauseous and depressed. Those are common side effects. I had to stop taking it after a couple of weeks. But, by then, I had started breaking the smoking cycle. So it was OK.

It also made playing poker harder, because the bad beats hit me harder, emotionally. I'd tilt like crazy.
-------------------
If Prozac makes you feel happier and better, maybe it's also letting you feel OK about playing more loosely and more aggressively. Making high variance moves. So take a good look at your game.

Nearly every time my bankroll has done a nosedive, it could be attributed to tilt and to having loosened up too much. It increased the variance I'd experience by a lot. Take a step back and reconsider the hands you are playing. Ramp up the patience. That KJo is not a good hand in early position.

Also dial it down to play only the games you are really good at. And the formats that you win at.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[/quote]Take a step back and reconsider the hands you are playing. Ramp up the patience. That KJo is not a good hand in early position.

Also dial it down to play only the games you are really good at. And the formats that you win at.[/quote]

Good Point there doop

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Medications like this are designed to smooth out the peaks and valleys in your emotions, to basically keep you on even keel and cutoff the manic or depressive swings in mood.

I suppose that this "softening" of the emotions
quote]

This ^ is actually incorrect.

Prozac is not a 'mood stabilizer'... it is classified as an SSRI (selective serotonin uptake inhibitor). It is used to 'improve one's moods' ..... they block the receptors for the reuptake pumps on presynaptic nerves, resulting in the transmitters build up in the synaptic region. Levels of 'serotonin' build up in the synaptic region as a result.
This is 'thought to be' ('the current theory') why these types of anti-depressants help to improve or elevate one's moods.

Meds. to 'smooth out' or to keep on on an 'even keel' are more often 'mood stabilizers' (although they're often combined with an anti-depressant) - - drugs such as Lithium, Gabapentin, Carbamazepine, Lamotrigine fall into this category.

OP, I'd suggest talking with your prescribing physician about it all (ie. I lose at the pokerszzz & yet I'm still happy about it... < personally I think this would help my game because being a multi-tabling Tournament player I still find myself getting pisssed off when big hands don't hold, especially in crucial spots... although I believe I do not let it affect my play on the other tables/tourneys I'm in, or the play in subsequent hands in the tourney I've just been sucked out on (< although this might be difficult to be objective about).
My thoughts.... sure poker is 'fun', maybe even 'mood-altering' (maybe more than I'd care to admit). I 'think' I play cuz it's fun... or for the enjoyment of the game (I like game theory, competition, etc. etc. as opposed to just playing to 'make money'). Sometimes when I'm making money I'm still not really havin' fun at the pokerszz. If I could 'feel good' while losing... I think that'd be a huge plus (& is something I'm always working on.... no.. not working on trying to lose... I mean working on trying to keep a decent headspace (< 'feeling good') while losing or while on a downswing. Maybe my motivations for playing poker isn't just to have fun? (hmm.... might have to think about that one a bit more..... even if I don't want to).

Last note -> talk to your doctor about it.
Maybe other's on here have personally experienced similiar stuff to yourself? I'm guessing there would be... maybe a bunch of them.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Medications like this are designed to smooth out the peaks and valleys in your emotions, to basically keep you on even keel and cutoff the manic or depressive swings in mood.

I suppose that this "softening" of the emotions

This ^ is actually incorrect.
I'm no doctor and didn't play one on TV, but I do have some experience here which leads me to disagree with you, from the standpoint of SSRI's being used to regular mood by way of regulating anxiety. Anxiety leads to mood elevation, i.e. stress. Reduce the sensitivity to anxiety and stress, and you proactively regulate the mood. SSRI's are often used in exactly this way.

Both my wife and daughter, due to two different health conditions that were aggravated by stress and anxiety, have been prescribed maintenance doses of SSRIs like Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, and Cymbalta (they had to change them regularly because each became less effective over time), in order to soften or regulate their emotional swings, without turning them into zombies like conventional mood regulators are prone to do. They weren't depressed and weren't being treated for depression or anxiety disorder, these were strictly for proactive emotional regulation.

With mood regulators there are pretty much no highs or lows -- just flat. That's not what you want in an otherwise high-functioning individual, you just want something to take the edge off and shorten the swings. Obviously if someone suffers from a severe mood disorder, particularly severe lows as opposed to high anxiety, they need stronger mood regulation, but regulating seratonin uptake is an affective treatment at regulating moods in a more moderate fashion, particularly as relates to stress.

A whole slew of doctors between them described these SSRI regimens exactly in words such as "taking the edge off," "keeping an even keel," etc. when prescribing my wife and daughter. I've witnessed them experience the benefit of it, so I know that it works as an effective treatment. Their doctors avoided Lithium and other such mood stabilizers for the very reason that it's more difficult to remain highly functional and focused on such drugs.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chantex didn't have any effect on my poker, but if it had worked, not smoking might have !
i hope it's not the pills cause i'm thinking of quitting smoking and trying that chantex.
you got some good advice from roundcat and dmorris.
sometimes i don't get that upset about losing $$ since i know it will pick up and i'll win again.
if your not getting upset that's good, if you can't afford to lose the dough that's another story.
maybe you should back off of poker for awhile and enjoy your new found sense of happiness. or like suggested play the lower limits.
i'm sure your game will get back on track.
gl gl gl :flowers:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yah.. I have no clue what I was talking about there - - actually just pulled it out of my ass. (thought it sounded good). My sis is a clinical psychiatrist but I've got a feelin' she was just bluffin' me ftw! I'll have to get her back.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yah.. I have no clue what I was talking about there - - actually just pulled it out of my ass. (thought it sounded good). My sis is a clinical psychiatrist but I've got a feelin' she was just bluffin' me ftw! I'll have to get her back.

LOL it did sound great!

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no doctor and didn't play one on TV, but I do have some experience here which leads me to disagree with you, from the standpoint of SSRI's being used to regular mood by way of regulating anxiety. Anxiety leads to mood elevation, i.e. stress. Reduce the sensitivity to anxiety and stress, and you proactively regulate the mood. SSRI's are often used in exactly this way.

Both my wife and daughter, due to two different health conditions that were aggravated by stress and anxiety, have been prescribed maintenance doses of SSRIs like Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, and Cymbalta (they had to change them regularly because each became less effective over time), in order to soften or regulate their emotional swings, without turning them into zombies like conventional mood regulators are prone to do. They weren't depressed and weren't being treated for depression or anxiety disorder, these were strictly for proactive emotional regulation.

With mood regulators there are pretty much no highs or lows -- just flat. That's not what you want in an otherwise high-functioning individual, you just want something to take the edge off and shorten the swings. Obviously if someone suffers from a severe mood disorder, particularly severe lows as opposed to high anxiety, they need stronger mood regulation, but regulating seratonin uptake is an affective treatment at regulating moods in a more moderate fashion, particularly as relates to stress.

A whole slew of doctors between them described these SSRI regimens exactly in words such as "taking the edge off," "keeping an even keel," etc. when prescribing my wife and daughter. I've witnessed them experience the benefit of it, so I know that it works as an effective treatment. Their doctors avoided Lithium and other such mood stabilizers for the very reason that it's more difficult to remain highly functional and focused on such drugs.

Thanks for the great input!

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice response. I wasn't suggesting you pulled it out of your ass, I was simply explaining what no less than a half-dozen doctors, one being a psychiatrist, told us when they all prescribed SSRIs for that very reason. I dunno, maybe they were all just trying to dumb it down for a dolt like me, you know, keep it non-technical. Whatever, but the results bear it out as they described, so take it for what you will. I would be interested to hear your sister's opinion, of course -- seventh opinions are always welcome! (especially when free) :D

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would be interested to hear your sister's opinion, of course -- seventh opinions are always welcome! (especially when free) :D

I don't know if she's bullshitting me again.. but she said, "Ship my brother $100 on Fulltilt & I'll think about it... but no guar. I'll reply."

Hang on... an update from her. Now she says she also wants auto entry to the CC Freeroll Club & refuses to make a single post prior.

.. idk.. guess it kinda runs in the family:confused:

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if she's bullshitting me again.. but she said, "Ship my brother $100 on Fulltilt & I'll think about it... but no guar. I'll reply."

Hang on... an update from her. Now she says she also wants auto entry to the CC Freeroll Club & refuses to make a single post prior.

.. idk.. guess it kinda runs in the family:confused:

Yea, I was depressed and a friend told me to ship him 100$, and it would cure depression. So I did, called him a week later to complain that I actually felt worse. Then he explained that it wasnt MY depression he was talking about......

But seriously, norris, keep letting us know whats going on with you, as I think many people will be in your position. My sister takes Prozac, calls it here "whatever" drug, meaning nothing really bothers her, her response to any stress situation is "whatever". I havent read all responses, but you may need to try a mechanical and mathematical approach, but I have never taken meds, so cant really respond as IDK anything about em. I ended up on the 200nl tables once when drunk, I now dont drink anymore (true story, and sorry PO, I didnt mention this to you before cause I was so embarrassed, my losses were a bit more than 50$ during the octoberfest.) Not pertinent to OPs topic as my story was simply "Stuipid is as stupid does"

GL norris. And IDK if this will help, but maybe talk to a doc about this. You cant be the first person whose hobby's or livelihood are affected by meds.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I was depressed and a friend told me to ship him 100$, and it would cure depression. So I did, called him a week later to complain that I actually felt worse. Then he explained that it wasnt MY depression he was talking about......

But seriously, norris, keep letting us know whats going on with you, as I think many people will be in your position. My sister takes Prozac, calls it here "whatever" drug, meaning nothing really bothers her, her response to any stress situation is "whatever". I havent read all responses, but you may need to try a mechanical and mathematical approach, but I have never taken meds, so cant really respond as IDK anything about em. I ended up on the 200nl tables once when drunk, I now dont drink anymore (true story, and sorry PO, I didnt mention this to you before cause I was so embarrassed, my losses were a bit more than 50$ during the octoberfest.) Not pertinent to OPs topic as my story was simply "Stuipid is as stupid does"

GL norris. And IDK if this will help, but maybe talk to a doc about this. You cant be the first person whose hobby's or livelihood are affected by meds.

Hey thanks fletchdad!
Well im still taking a break from poker, well other than cardchat free tournys. I am still doing poor at those which before i took my "whatever pills" i took first place in the first tourny i played in. Then on the second tourny to 7th. The third tourny i took first again. All these were on full tilt tuesday. Where you can have over 150 people.

I built up my bankroll from 0 to 600 and started taking those pills. And havent won since. So I dunno. Just done for awhile i guess. i have 50 bucks left though! lol

S

sherbert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LMAO

You don't feel bad even after losing $400.00 in a roll? LMAO----but you can't win while on the prozac? LMAO WOW!!! So you only win if you feel like crap? Maybe the prozac makes you feel good, but it makes it so your game play is not at its best or weakens your decision making ability. Feel like crap and win---or feel good and lose??? Sorry---that just came off as funny when I first read it. Not making fun of you being on prozac or nothing. I win at land based poker rooms all the time and lose at online poker all the time. So I don't play real money online---only free rolls. Maybe if I took prozac I would start winning at online poker rooms? LMAO---Sorry--I don't know what to say. I would certainly want to feel good---- if the prozac does that for you, then I would not give that up. Good luck. :eek:

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't feel bad even after losing $400.00 in a roll? LMAO----but you can't win while on the prozac? LMAO WOW!!! So you only win if you feel like crap? Maybe the prozac makes you feel good, but it makes it so your game play is not at its best or weakens your decision making ability. Feel like crap and win---or feel good and lose??? Sorry---that just came off as funny when I first read it. Not making fun of you being on prozac or nothing. I win at land based poker rooms all the time and lose at online poker all the time. So I don't play real money online---only free rolls. Maybe if I took prozac I would start winning at online poker rooms? LMAO---Sorry--I don't know what to say. I would certainly want to feel good---- if the prozac does that for you, then I would not give that up. Good luck. :eek:

Yeah i feel pretty amazing right now. LOL 550 down!
And no i dont feel like your laughing at me for taking prozac... it acually does sound pretty funny. You make a good point. Maybe if i start winning again i will feel not so good anymore. Ya never know.
Thanks for the comment SHERBERT

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a question:
How was your approach before meds/ after meds? Did you play a mathematical/odds game before, calculating pot odds, looking at players moves prior to your play, as opposed to just playing somehow after? where did your game change? Maybe do some HH analysis before and after??

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's my two cents on the situation (since I take Prozac as well and it's a life changer as far as my mood and reactions to life--much better quality of life!):

I think one of the devastating things about depression is that you have these feelings of worthlessness ("nothing I do is any good" "nobody cares about me" etc.). Add those feelings to feeling bad about losing at poker and you're really in a hole.

So, IMHO, you're experiencing variance. I doubt that the Prozac is what makes you a worse player. And I think that the advice when you're on a downswing is to take a step back from the game (so you're doing the right thing). Breathe. Relax. Relish in your improved mental health. Then go back to poker when you're ready. It'll be here waiting for you!

Kudos to your honesty and openness. I'm impressed by (most of) the replies that are so respectful. Makes me happy to be part of this forum.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a question:
How was your approach before meds/ after meds? Did you play a mathematical/odds game before, calculating pot odds, looking at players moves prior to your play, as opposed to just playing somehow after? where did your game change? Maybe do some HH analysis before and after??

I havent changed a thing that i have personally noticed. I have never really done the mathematical/odd game before. I just know my outs, and play my position well. I could just be getting some major variance. I have always taken notes and watch the game closely. I just havent been doing well for some reason.